Edge Change Theory

ScarletArrow

• Baller

Apologies in advance for not knowing how to make a poll or add paragraphs.

What is the ideal location for changing edges?

1 - After the 2nd wake

2 - At the 2nd wake

3 - At the trough of the 2nd wake

4 - 1 inch past the center of the boat

5 - Directly behind the center of the boat.

I'm hearing somewhat conflicting theories on this.

I think part of the difficulty is the terminology used - i.e. initiating the edge change and actually getting on the opposite edge are two different events.

Should I pull through the 2nd wake, then edge change?

When I watch Andy Mapple & Will Asher, this is clearly their style / location.

Or should I initiate my edge change earlier?

When I watch most of the other WC skiers (Brown, Stisher, etc.) they seem to changing sometime between the center of the boat and the 2nd wake.

Does speed and line length make a difference?

Depends on how much angle you create. More angle = more speed = earlier edge change

I get a fair amount of angle. At 35 I'm starting my edge change behind the boat. With knees bent, my ski works underneath me and behind me as it changes edge.

If you are more traditional style, the edge change will generally be later and slower.

• Baller

I agree with ClemsonDave.   It depends.    I coach a lot of novice skiers.   I explain to them that slalom skiing is about balance.   If you explode off the ball and cross the wakes with intense speed, then you have to balance that with a earlier, more abrupt, and further/deeper edge change.

I've seen really good skiers who don't understand this balance.  When they have an issue at a buoy and have to stay on edge long to the next one, they don't know what to do.   That longer lean has to be balanced with a much more abrupt and fuller edge change to a deeper inside edge.   

When I watch West Coast, I am amazed at how much angle they generate and maintain across the first wake.  This translates into earlier path and more acceleration.   They've accomplished all the angle and acceleration needed in a shorter amount of time across the wake.   Thus, they can edge change earlier, and more smoothly.     When I watch old school, I see them take a more conservative angle across the boat's path and then hold it longer.   They have to do this to get to the same point prior to the next turn.    Thus, their edge change is later.    

The timing/amount of effort is different, thus for each style to achieve balance, the timing and abruptness of the edge change is different for each.    Still, each style is in balance with itself.