Chris Parrish world record run in LA

Thomas Wayne

Watching the video of that run at Covington, LA (BOS front page) Iwas struck by something that seems very unusual.  There appears to beNO crowd whatsoever.  No matter where you look on the shoreline youmight see a total of half-dozen people, and not very many of them seemto actually be spectating.  What the hell is THAT all about?

TW

• Baller

It's actually not surprising at all and a common occurance. That tourney had about 30 skiers at it too.

Quite a few things contribute(d) to it happening like that.

Ski Ranch is 1 hour north of New Orleans. When it was originally built, it was "in the middle of nowhere". Now, there are housing developments around it but non-skiers of course. It's not in the public eye or a ski lake community.

Their tournies are self-skier sponsored for fun and ratings. Usually there are about 20-25 local skiers in the tourney with about 5-10 pros. The "pros" are not there as much as Professionals but as skiers who are looking to post some scores. The local skiers treat them as just another batch of skiers chasing scores (aren't we all). Actualy a BOS-poster on here took Parrish down playing ping pong several games in a row ;) The public is welcome to attend but it's like watching grass grow. Usually a few of the local skiers not skiing the tourney come and hang out and swim. Sometimes when the pros are skiing, we are swimming having a beer and "eh another guy running buoys out there" type of thing.

This tourney was actually put together about two weeks before hand. The skiers worked the phones calling local skiers and some pros who didn't have anything going on to come up for it. They usually have the tournaments: Memorial day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. They quit having Labor day tournies due to our track record of hurricanes.

Scot,

We haven't had any sanctioned tournaments in Alaska in over a decade, but we used get a crowd of a few hundred back in the days of the July 4 State championships.  That said, the last tournament I attended in the lower 48 had a decent crowd and media coverage - of course, that was the recent Diablo Shores Pro-Am, so the demographic may have been skewed a bit...

TW

• Baller
I have had the pleasure of watching Chris Parrish ski at the Pro Am at Princes London on many occassions and I have to say he looks so comfortable on that ski, he obviously has great confidence in it, and what a superb technician, how must that feel to have the ability to run some of those passes, so smoothly without all the heaving and shoving, there are a lot of top skiers on the Goode right now, I am wondering if Goode use their standard AMP chart for these skiers or whether they play around with it a bit ?

• Baller

Did no one else see the videos of his 41s in July on the Elite? They looked just as good (IMO); I don't think this is about the ski...

BTW, anyone think in the video above he could have gotten a full two at 43 (if perhaps the boat had been a 200 let's say)?

I agree with Roger, ive seen the videos on the Elite and it looked exactly the same... ~(??)

if anyone could over lap them it would be interesting to see how (if) it differs?? I think where it differs is Goode are pushing hard with brand awareness so we are seeing allot more videos/exposure..

Good for Goode and CP!!

• Baller

TW - I agree w/ you completely.  The problems are many and Scoke outlined a few.  The site's owners do not like to have anyone on site other than the skiers and officials.  They do not promote their events.  That is their choice.  But, that is precisely why 3-event skiing is dying.  When someone can tie (or break) a world record and only a selected few are there to see it, that says a lot.  I'm not certain, but I doubt there were many more in attendance for Regina's record run.  We have to get this sport off of the remote private sites and back in front of the public once again. 

• Baller

Scot:

If you remember, we had probably 30-50 spectators at my June tournament.  This was due to putting a small article in the local paper.  I know its not much but w/ some promotion and some on-site infrastructure, you can get a crowd if you want one.  They don't know the difference between a Class "C" and "ELR".  It all looks the same.

These are last minute put togethers for late season scores. There is no time to promote the issue, it is just to get together 1 last time before the light runs out on summer. We put a 3 round together in less then a week just because we knew that the weather was going to stay warm. It is great that there are still tourneys this late in the season and I know that this one is packed to the gills.    

You can pay pal to USA. If you line up the correct officials, get the safety form in and give the USA staff some time, it can be done in a few days. The regional guy approves it pending the check. There may be problems with staff being gone or trying to do it on a wed but otherwise it is easy.    

• Baller

http://www.skibigdawg.com/sitebuilder/images/skiranch_1165602-332x131.jpg

It's not usually a sword fight:

http://picasaweb.google.com/SkiBigDawg/BigDawgWaterSkiLouisiana#5347902800951633218http://lh4.ggpht.com/_JSGRzlRv_L4/SjeRQ1gJ5UI/AAAAAAAAAW4/p3HW71QP-JI/s640/bigdawg1%20055.jpg

Passport needed:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_JSGRzlRv_L4/SjeQ2LDlZjI/AAAAAAAAAV4/2a-tHryGUWw/s512/bigdawg1%20027.jpg

• Baller

Scot,

From TW's initial post: "Watching the video of that run at Covington, LA (BOS front page) I was struck by something that seems very unusual.  There appears to be NO crowd whatsoever.  No matter where you look on the shoreline you might see a total of half-dozen people, and not very many of them seem to actually be spectating.  What the hell is THAT all about?"

Where CP tied the record twice in one weekend.

He'll run 2@43 for a new world record there, soon.