Why no 10m line?

Laz

• Baller

Hi. I really enjoy watching good tournament skiing. It seems to me that 41' off (10.25) is a great achievement but that running 43' (9.75) off is near impossible. (28' off in my case).

Would it not make sense for something in between such as a 10m (42.2' off). I would imagine that a good many battles could be fought over that line length where people could realistically try to complete it or at least get past 1.5 balls.

Great sprinters improve on the 100m record by mere 100ths of a second. But tyring to get an extra ball at 43' off would be like forcing sprinters to round their times to the nearest .5 second.

Just some musing.

Laz

• Administrators

Yea make the rules and play the game..... personally I could really use a 11.625 Meter line. . . . 

I heard a story about a California skier who ran in to the Pink loop a this year with a  6 or 7 foot handle.

• Baller
Totally agree with Laz, great idea.But will the current record holder (holders?) accept to have their records erased?At least they are still at the top of their game so they will likely be there to set the new records as well (maybe now´s the time to make such a rule change).

• Baller
Well, before you could even get to this "new" line length, you've gotta get through 41. And so far, what........only 5 people in the world have done it in a tournament? And it's only been run 3 or 4 times in the last 5 years. So what does this intermediate line length really give us?

• Baller

This just shows how good those elite skiers are.  I'm pretty sure Scot is right - the six people he mentioned are the only ones who have ever run 41 in a tournament that I know of.  But look at Parrish, hasn't he ran 41 in a tournament at least four times this year?! 

I've never understood why running something in a runoff is not included in the record books?!  You've still got to run the pass before it, usually just cold off the dock when it comes to run offs.  IMO 41 is 41, TGas got hosed.

Whats the explanation for this rule?

• Baller

Also, Andy Mapple ran 4 1/4 @ 43 off 34mph at Charleston in a C a few years ago.

Lucky's was in 2001 in Jefferson Ga at a 34mph money tournament.

I guess Andy is the only one to have run it at both speeds. It may be that it's harder at 34mph since if you are too early, you can't keep the width. I heard Ben Favre complain about this on one of his 41 attempts where he said he was out there too early and couldn't maintain the width for the next ball... (wish I had those kinds of problems)