New Radar Strada Report

RichardDoane

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

richarddoane, thanks for the invite by the looks of Radar Lake that may be a real good idea, looks like a pristine ski site. I'll see if I can get some time off here and book a flight to Seattle!! By the looks of it, I better pack a wetsuit as well.

Cobber

• Baller

If a skier's weight is right in the middle of the Strada chart,should he go shorter or longer?

What are the deciding factors when you could go both lenghts according to the chart?

6'2",190 lbs,running a couples at 35 off on a good day on a 07 Nomad RCX 68".

Thanks!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

Its Official Eddie Roberts and Trent Finlayson are heading to AZ May 1st and 2nd for 2 days of Coaching and skiing on the new Radar Product at our lake Spring Mountain Ski Ranch !   I am looking foreword to trying a 67" Strada ( have the 68" now ) and not skiing too bad. Andy Weiner and I will be hosting those guys so should be fun Weather in the 80s latley!

Looks like 2 sets plus lunch $ 150 for those interested call me ( 623) 523-2025 

Joe

Looks like a fun event.  I know your lake is fun to ski on.  Trent is an amazing coach and Eddie knows how to set up a ski.  I was looking at plane tickets the other day when I heard about it.  SWA is a little over $200.  Not bad for a weekend in 80 degree weather.

Say hi to Todd for me

MB Skier

• Baller_

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_I-Kt0bXum5I/S8FEOgIiQMI/AAAAAAAAARI/I2ZFpQrmXAs/s800/SANY0022.JPGFrom Broho Waterski Park

My second set was the best today, got to the 2 ball and then blew it, score of 103.5    Luckily for me, OF's son, Tomas, was able to figure out the new camera and get some video so I can beat myself up about it.

• Baller_
Thanks be to TW for the suggestion of the "half filled" bouys, because Saturday I clubbed the one ball @ 10.75 and survived no significant damage.  Skied a little better today, got close to the 3 ball.  A buddy was settling in on a new 67" today as well, I watched him run -32 four times in a row without a hitch, and my son started skiing on his 65" today after taking off most of the winter.  At 36 mph, Braden's got that ski ripping it.  No pictures I'm afraid, I spent time in the Driver's seat for a change.

• Baller
The wind finally died so last night I rode my 66 strada. I LOVE the ski. Its just as fast as my RS-1 if not slightly faster. Its hard to explain, but the ski is just so smooth(new water flow design). The offside is the best its been in a long time. I always worry about my offside turn and on this ski I really dont have to. Ive my last few skis have been the original sixam, mpd, RS-1 and now the strada and its sweeeeet! I used the settings from pro skicoach and bindings set at 28.625. Did anyone find anyother settings I should try?

• Baller

The Elite had an awesome offside, but an average on side. The Strada kills both sides. For 34mph, 32 off, Rossi gave me 6.845, .785, 2.505, 9, 28 5/8 for the 66.  Right now I'm at 28 3/4 and 8 degrees. I'm going to go back to 28 5/8 and close the gap on my back binding next time out.

Ripped Radar on Friday with Eddie in beautiful sunny Seattle weather.  I think it may have been in the lower 70's.  Skied a 67 in Strada.  Eddie set it up and it was perfect.  Off the dock 22-28-32.  I haven't skied that good in April ever.  The ski is simply amazing.  The ski holds it's angle off the second wake like no other.  It finishes the trun very smooth with no bouncing.  If you are in the market to purchase a new ski look no further, the Strada is it.

The ski was set at 6.845, .75, 2.505.  I use a custom carbon plate that has a limited hole pattern because it was designed for my RS-1.  The heal of my front foot was 28.1/8 (seems quite far back compared to where other people are skiing).  Not sure if I will stay there, but at this time I am going to leave it until I make another carbon plate where I can try other positions.   

Sunday I was able to ski at my home course and backed up my score from Friday.  Friday wasn't a fluke. 

Much thanks to the guys at Radar for designing a great product.  I am excited for this year!!!

MBskier

• Baller
Not sure where you got that from. They designed it to be a 34 and a 36mph ski. When I look at the website, it shows that. I'm at 34mph and it's as good or better than the Elite I was on, even though I downsized one size.  I'm already skiing my PB from last year on it. 

• Baller

That is one thing that has bugged me a bit about Goode over the past few years.

IMHO (as someone who is not a ski designer/just a dumb skier) The whole speed specific deal for high end skis is bogus. I agree that there may be fractional differences between say the Goode 34 and 36 mph bevel. Having said that I don't think that 99.5% of us could feel it.

Over the past few years I have spent a lot of time trying different skis. Now I have  had some injuries, but I have not skied as well as I did for the roughly 10 years I was on the Goode 9100-9500 model skis. Are some of the skis I have ridden "better" in design.. probably, but when I rode the 9100 (then 9300 then the 9500) I had a level of familiarity and confidence in the ski I do not have now. My best skiing at 34 was actually on a 36 mph 9500 BTW.

This should probably be in a different thread, but my basic premise is that all of the ski choices, cruise control choices, etc., take us away from what we really need to work on to improve. That is improving our skill, fittness, consistencty, and confidence. They are distractions. I admit to being the poster boy in the search for the magic ski over the past several years. I am going to do my best to change this in '10. John may see a significant drop in his ski sales. Sorry brother.

• Baller

Shane,

Glad that thing is working great. Trent and I put Andreas on his spare 66" Sat and you should of seen the look on his face. He went nuts over it. Skied great right off the dock.  My daughter is also skiing great on her 65". Took her off a RCX and she looks like the effort level is cut in half running the same passes.

Marc

Everyone wants to "buy a better turn" - me included.  Overwhelming family obligations have kept me a little out of the loop lately, but I'm hoping to try (and very likely BUY) a 68" Strada next month.

I agree 100% with what Scot Jones says about the value of "improving our skill, fitness, consistency, and confidence", but would hasten to point out that the latter two aspects (consistency and confidence) can come from the ski as much as from within.  I think being familiar and comfortable with your ski is extremely important to your overall success.

TW

• Baller

Agreed Thomas. I should have qualified my statement by saying that your ski should compliment your style, fit you, and can perform to the highest level.

I have been guilty of attemting to try and change to ride a ski because I really wanted to (Prophecy). There were some that I absolutely could not ride (A1). Some were good, but the size was not quite for me (Elite).

I have to say that the Strada seems to be good in all aspects. Another month of skiing, and seeing how it does at shorter rope will solidify it.  

• Baller

I too agree with Scott.  I have skied on many skis, but the Strada allows me to still run buoys and my bad days and flat rip on the good days.  If anyone is like me, I am a totally different skier depending what side of the course I am on.  I can pretty much ski any ski as long as I only have to go around 1, 3, and 5 ball.  It is the gate, 2 and 4 that kills me.

Skiing on the Strada has allowed me to have a bad gate, or 2, or 4 ball and still clean up the pass and run it.  The more I stay on the water, the better I get.  Other skis have skied great, but only when I have been on my game.  As soon as I got a little out of shape, I was down and pass was over.

I am of the same mind that it is not the ski, but most of the time the skier.  That same mind has come to the conclusion that this skier may never ski like a pro.  I just need to find a ski that allows me to make mistakes, recover and continue to improve.  I have found that ski for the time being.  I have no doubt there are others or will be, but for now, the Strada rips.....OF

• Baller

O.F. wrote" If anyone is like me, I am a totally different skier depending what side of the course I am on.  I can pretty much ski any ski as long as I only have to go around 1, 3, and 5 ball.  It is the gate, 2 and 4 that kills me...  I am of the same mind that it is not the ski, but most of the time the skier.  That same mind has come to the conclusion that this skier may never ski like a pro.  I just need to find a ski that allows me to make mistakes, recover and continue to improve."

I couldn't have stated it any better brother, I am indeed just like you in that regard.  The MPD I'm reluctantly moving off of in favor of the Strada does pretty much for me now what you're saying the Strada is doing for you.  IF (BIG if) the Strada is an even better ski I'll be as giddy as a school girl at a Jonas Bros concert.  I'll start finding out this weekend and I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

Ed   

• Baller
I am the same way, I have a hard time running consistent offside turns and still running a good pass. I havent been on the course yet with this ski but I am already making offside turns silky smooth and leading with my hip. Today was the first time on calm water and let me say this ski is "crazy fast" I thought it might be slightly faster than my RS1 but I know now that its much faster. Sometimes its a little scary how fast Im on the other side already. Im running at 36 mph and 28, 32 off.

• Baller

Ed, if the big IF happens, you have to shoot video cuz I wanna see you giddy like a school girl at a Jonas Brothers concert........OF 

I have skied with RD for a long time and since getting on the Strada he has gone from 2 or 3 @ 38off to running it almost every time and 2 or 3 @39 off.  I bet he runs 39 this summer and it will be because the ski has allowed him to work and refine the technique needed to run that line length.  That is what the Strada has done for many of us, allowed us to take our skiing to a higher level.  It is true that a ski can only do so much, but what the Strada does is eliminate the ski factor and allow the skier to just ski and work on the technique needed to get them to the next level......thanks Radar....OF 

ShaneH, that was a good one, actually laughed out loud when I read it. 

This thread has probably sold more Strada's for Radar then all their other marketing.  The next step for Radar is to hire RD and OF to host their own radio talk show.  What do you think Eddie?

RD and OF - just givin you guys a bad time; I wish I could have made it down to down to ski with you guys this spring.

Talk to you later.

• Baller
Okay Shane, you found us out, but did you have to let our little secret out? That's exactly what we do.Then we do " Row, row, row your boat " and then, " 99 bottles of beer on the wall." We're not ashamed. You'll have to come up and sing with us and skip down to the dock to have a set sometime. The RD and OF Waterski Talk and Call in Show? Not a bad idea Rob! They'd be in hawg heaven.

• Baller_

We'll all be holding beer bottles ( or hands, depending on your preference) and singing around the campfire during the Memorial Day Weekend tournament @ the Broho. ( MS - we've got a chair and a cooler of that goofy beer you drink with your name on it)

http://sanctions.dataweb.com/default.view?_mode=details&TournAppID=10W109

• Baller

Has anyone put Draft boots on the Strada. I am going to try the ski first with them becouse that is what i'm used to. I have a 66". It's always a little difficult to find the mounting point becouse they have no heel cup.

I am also looking at the Strada boot but I have a really narrow low volume foot(11 1/2). I've tried the boots on, but i am swimming in them with my big toe jammed in the end. If you have skied both boots, are the Stradas as supportive. Advise on fitting those with a narrow foot or another boot would be helpful. Thanks

• Baller_
slow - as for a measurement for front foot placement, measure from the tail of the ski to where your inside ankle bone is, then set your Drafts in the same position as your old ski. Have someone in the boat watch where the water breaks and then adjust forward accordingly.

• Baller_
I skied one set Saturday, and 2 today (Sunday), nothing stellar - couldn't quite get all 6 @ -38, but at least I ran lots of 35's.  My opener this afternoon was pretty cool though, -28 @ 36 mph, (boat was still set for Tomas' last set).  That 66" Strada sure likes to go fast, I can see why guys who get used to the 36 mph thing dig it.

Comming off of the RS1, I did not notice any loss of speed. I thought it was equal to my ski. It is very fin set up critical. Each move on the fin can be felt as soon as you turn in for the gates. I would stick to stock and only make one adjustment at a time. 2.500 is all I could go for depth. Any more and I could not get it to roll. The stock length is fine and I went a bit longer and it was the same feeling. I did end up a bit forward which really brought the ski around in the turn.

• Baller

ms stats!  how much do weight and how tall are you were is FB and fin# please.

two sets on a 67,  29 3/8 fb  2505 75 6850  9 down  feels pretty good 185lbs 6'2"   2/-38 34mph turnement pb

was on a 67 MPD for 3 yrs  (two different skis)

just hung up the snow skis!!  great long season now it is melting time to ski it agian.

Thanks

Deano