New Radar Strada Report

RichardDoane

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_
Rob - 66" is still my weapon of choice -   6.850, 2.510, .765, 10' wing upside down, 29" to front binder, planning to get around the 4 ball @ -39 asap but kind of doing the "injured reserve" thing until the Ski Park tourney next Thursday.  There's still a couple of spots left, let me know if you want in.

• Baller

Rich, im in AK working home in two weeks  ,I did go home for 4 days  two weeks ago skied 4 days in a row ran back to back -35 every day after not skiing in 20 days.

the 67 strada is working well for me best ski setup I have ever been on.   Period!  

Turny's are not for me right now young kids jobs ect. and Forken  ZO sucks I'm sorry I ski like sh#t with ZO I know some peolpe love it < thats cool  !!!    I do not like it.

I may do The Tate lake turny? or go to AZ for the oct turny with Mb and TG.

PS     I believe every time you ski it counts!!

Ski short

Deano

So its been a great summer thus far on my new 66 Strada. I went to my first ever western regional event in Idaho and set a new PB by 2 bouys then followed it up with another 1/2 bouy the next weekend at a local site with a score of 4.5  at -32. Super stoked with the ski and amazed at the speed it will generate when i am positioned correctly on it. Another strong point about this ski is how well it skies in rough water.

MC

Skied today up at Radar a little windy but water temp was warmer than air with it in the high 70's! Skied 2@35off not my best but descent had some killer 28's and 32's with tail and head winds!! Last week I tried a new binding setup Reflex in front and Wileys rear had a tough time with 32's at my Strada measurments so decided to go back to my Strada's felt right at home again!! Skiing on first generation 66 Strada hoping to nail a 35off 34mph before the end of summer, this is my 3rd year in the course! Thanks to everyone I ski with for the helpful tips!!

• Baller

Ok,another thumb up for my new 67 Strada!

Only 4 sets on it and it feels great!Already skiing above my average (4-5 @32 off) with less efforts.

Wasn't sure about the 67 ,6'2" 195 lbs,but it turns so easily it's impressive and accelerate better then my 07 Nomad RC for sure.I hope it's gone get me deep into 35 before the end of the season.

Ran 2 nice 32 off tonite!(Don't laugh,it's not often for me!)

Ditto on the rough water riding...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
I'm 6'0" and 195 lbs and just tried a 68" Strada a couple of days ago. Loved it. Only one set on it so far. Did two free passes, 2 28s and 2 32s and ran them all really nice and ahead. Very nice acceleration and angle seemed to increase progressively. Felt like I was able to ski with less load than my 67 Nomad or 67.5 A1. Looking forward to 35 and 38. Live in Sac and our water is varying in temp from 80 to 85 roughly. I'd rather err toward a slightly bigger ski than slightly too small especially when our water gets closer to 90 during hot spells.

I had my third day on the 2nd generation 67" Strada at Radar yesterday. I'm a 34 mph lefty and the ski is not coming around well on my weak side (2 & 4).  Strong side turns are perfect.  I skied a 1st generation Strada back in June and the weak side turns were incredible.  As I recall, my settings are length 6.845 (tips), depth 2.505, dft 0.76, wing 9 degree.   RS1 boots mounted neutral (middle hole).  One of the guys I was skiing with suggested I start by moving my bindings one forward.  Do others agree or would you adjust fin first? If fin, what are your suggestions?

Thanks for your advice

• Baller

Jamman leave the bingings at 29.50  and move the fin back to help the off side, I was having the same problem then went to 74.5 dft head 2.500  6.853 tips  fin back gives you more tail slide on the offside.

bindings forward does not work well for most short line skiers.

have you been skiing CB much??

Deano 

Deano

I'll try moving the fin back. Thanks for the advice. Yes we've been getting up to CB a little more often...usually early AM if winds are friendly. Skied up there last Sat AM and Sun PM and hope to again this weekend. Maybe we'll see you

Rob

Deano

I'll try moving the fin back. Thanks for the advice. Yes we've been getting up to CB a little more often...usually early AM if winds are friendly. Skied up there last Sat AM and Sun PM and hope to again this weekend. Maybe we'll see you

Rob

• Baller_
I stunk it up this afternoon on my 66" @ a Ski Park tourney, just wasn't focused I guess. Doing the Chief Scorer thing - (yea, that'll be my excuse !) The good news is my son set a new TPB (5 @ -32, 58K) on his 65" Strada, so at least one of us got some glory !

• Baller

I just tried matt rini's numbers last night in some pretty windy conditions and loved it. The ski turned harder and was faster off the ball, Cast out was even on both sides aswell. 66inch 28 3/4  6.840 2.50 .755

Does anyone have rinis numbers for a 67 for my ski parnter?

• Baller

rq,

I can't verify how current or accurate the following info is, but I found the following  from a tech file off the Radar website...

SkiSizeFront Boot Fin LengthFin DepthFin DFTWingStrada

Rini

65 28 1/8  6.845 2.50   .745  9

66 28 5/8  6.845 2.505  0.75   9

67 29 1/2  6.85   2.505 0.75   9

68 30         6.855 2.51   0.76  9

Rossi

65  28 1/2  2.49  6.84   0.75  9

66   28 3/4  2.495  6.84    0.75   9

67   29 1/2  2.495  6.84    0.77   9

68  30         2.495  6.85        0.79   9

and this comes from Perfski's website.....

ROSSI'S SETTINGS:
Size    Boots    Depth    Length   DFT      Wing
65"     28 1/2     2.490      6.840    0.750      9
66"     28 3/4     2.495      6.840    0.750      9
67"     29 1/2     2.495      6.840    0.770      9
68"     30           2.495      6.850    0.790      9
MATT RINI'S SETTINGS:
Size    Boots    Depth    Length   DFT      Wing
65       28 1/8"   2.50       6.845,   .750         9
28 5/8"   2.505     6.850,   .750         9
29.5"      2.505     6.855,   .755         9
68       30.0"      2.510     6.855    .760         9
its seems like many here are having success running less DFT then this?

• Baller

OK, on a 67'" 2011 Strada, 2nd & 3rd sets today.  At 29.5, 6.853, 2.501, .741, 9 degrees.  Ski comes around nicely on the off side; but, just a little squirrely at the finish of he turn.  On side is a whole different story.  A may be a little bit (or a lot) because of skier position; but, the ski won't finish the turn and when it does, it is squirrely into the wakes.  When I do get the right hook up the ski is fast cross course.  Wondering what is the next fin move would be to correct.  Any suggestions from the Strada club?  Thanks, in advance.

Anyone tried a Schnitz slot fin on the Strada yet?  If so what did you think? 

I tried mine last weekend and skied as well as I did with the stock fin - maybe slightly better.  It definetly changed the feel of the ski - seemed like edges changes were quicker, but ski felt slighty less stable;  can probably tune that out.  Ended up going back to stock fin for now.

• Baller_

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_I-Kt0bXum5I/TI7SrkclqaI/AAAAAAAAApc/7vp68inzMLI/s800/RossiRipsRainier.JPGFrom Ski Buddies

This picture is from the inside rear page of this month's Waterski Magazine, showing Chris Rossi at the Rainier Lake in Yelm Washington.  In fact, that's where I set a new TPB in August on my 66" Strada.

MS is right when he says, "The Strada Rocks" !

• Baller

MS is definitely right! After going down to Rini's place a couple of weeks ago to get my offside fixed (long story but ends up having to do with the heavy knee brace I adopted on my crap rear knee at the beginning of this season) I'm running 32 wider and earlier than ever before and finally starting to feel like 35 is runable.  Wish I'd gone down 3 months earlier...

Ed

• Baller_

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_I-Kt0bXum5I/TLT6PvdTGxI/AAAAAAAAAr8/ySADaaovMqc/s800/SANY0147.JPGFrom Imperial2010

And for the second time this season, I made it to a head to head final, only to be beaten by a B3 skier !

Congratulations to Chris Devito, the 2010 Imperial H2H Champion, and big "thank-you's" to JimmyB and his wife, JeannaB, for letting us take over their dock, and Paul Donnat & Eric Lee for letting us use their boats for the fun round of H2H.

It was a ton of fun, and a great way to end a terrific tournament weekend.

• Baller_

After a year's worth of skiing, and 18 tournaments, I moved my RS Boots to a 2011 Strada today and will save my original Silver Strada as a "fall back".  The new graphics and the red accents make the new ski awfully pretty !

Water temp was high 50's, the sun was out for a few, brief moments.  As you can see in the photo above, we were blessed with some rain as well.  Just skied one set this afternoon, ran a couple 22's (by accident), then some 28's and 32's.  Need to heal up some aches and pains after a long season of killing it on the Strada, and get my sights set on the 39 loop for next season.

Thank you to Eddie and the rest of the RADAR gang! I'd been struggling the last month with my skiing but Eddie hooked me up with some love on dialing in my fin settings and I'm getting back in the groove!! Skied today at RADAR water was 50 air was 55.. Ran a few 36mph passes 22's and a couple 28's those where fun!! Then second set went back to 34mph!! Today was some fun skiing!

Jared,  Your about the same size as me and I am on a 65" Strada.  I would go with a 65"  Let me know if you want to try one out.  I have some closeouts and some demos in both 2010 and 2011.

Thanks

TS

tadd at h2oproshop dot com

Jared,

The skis are somewhat similar, to an extent.  The Strada may be a bit quicker through the turn.  While it is not an unstable ski, you may have a bit more stability with the D3.  The Strada is a bit more aggressive as well.  My offside on my Strada feels awesome.  I have not skied the Z7ST, so I cannot compare them 100%, but I have skied the Z7 in 09.  Give me a call or shoot me an email if you want to talk more in detail.

Thanks
TS

tadd at H2oproshop dot com

Jared,

The Strada feels a bit faster and free-er in my experience, but again, I have not ridden the ST.  Only the originaly Z7.

But, you will have to help yourself get wider.  It is the way you ride the ski and what you do on it which will get you wider.

And maybe the Radar isnt the answer.  Maybe the D3 will work better, maybe a Goode, maybe an HO.  It all depends on how you ride the ski.

Granted, I love my Radar and have always had great success on D3.  

Without seeing you ski, i can only generalize what you may need to do.

Best bet is to get some professional eyes on you and see what you are doing.  Whether it is going to a ski school, video coaching, etc.  That is what will really help you get wider on your offside, not the ski.

TS

tadd at h2oproshop dot com

Just spent a year on the Z7 and have been on the strada for about a month.  Agree with Tadd in that the Strada carries more speed through the turn.  This is what i like most about the ski.  For me it seems to be just as forgiving as the Z7 maybe even more so. Strada also seems faster across back of boat. 

For whatever reason my off-side comes very easy with the Strada and I'm still trying to figure my on-side.

Keith 

Z7 is 65" and had pretty good success on it.

2.050 dpth

6.864 lngth (tips)

.765 dft

8*

Strada is a 66" and have been struggling to get my on-side to come around at the shorter line lengths.  This is the reason i'm running so much tip and length.

2.510 dpth

6.900 lngth (tips)

.755 dft

Rode a 65" last week and it felt more true to my size (despite what radar sizing charts say).  65" carries alittle less speed into the turns and the ski comes around and finishes turn faster  @ 35 and 38.  I'm 5'10" and 160#'s and usually ski into 38 off @34 mph.   Our water temp is currently in low to mid 60's.

Anyone else feel the strada sizing chart is alittle skewed?