Installing a Heater in my MC Prostar 197

skibug

• Baller
I am installing a heater in my 2009 MC 197.  In the cock pit, when you look at the bulkhead  under the dash, there is a carpeted piece with what looks like 2 screws holding it up against the bulkhead.  Does anyone know if I remove this, will it give me access to the sub hull to pull my heater hoses from the engine and is a place where I can mount the heater core?

• Baller

richarddoane, thanks for the informatioon.  Did you have to remove any of the carpeted panels?  How did you run the heater hose?  Did you have to use a fish tape and run it down the bulk head where all the wires and cables run in front of the drivers cockpit and then pull the hose back through?  Or, did you just start at the engine compartment and force the heater hose the same route as the steering cable?  I can't see how you could possibly push the hose from the engine and it actually come out under the dash. 

• Baller_
The carpeted panel comes out to get access, then push your fishtape in to pull the hoses back out.  Getting the fishtape through in the beginning is usually the most difficult part.  Do it from the easiest end, the hoses don't care which way they get pulled into the boat bilge.

• Baller
I added a heater to my SN 196 last spring. I taped the fish to hose end over with duct tape to help prevent snags and then used ample wire puller lube. Was very easy pull with the lube. The hardest part for me was getting the fish through the compact area with all the other wires and cables. If you haven't bought your heater yet check out ebay Accu-heat heaters in the 4x4 auto section. A lot cheaper and identical at least for the 200 modeI. My total cost including the radiator hose, engine hardware shutoff valves, air vent hoses from skidim was $279. I bought the radiator water hose, engine plumbing hardware, and shutoff valves at the hardware store.

• Baller

thager, thanks for the advise.  I did already buy the heater off of ski-it-again.com.

richarddoane, did you say you mounted the heater core up against the back of the right side bow seat?  I am assuming that you get that access when you remove the carpet panel in the cock pit?