Fin Tip and Depth?

ToddL

• Baller

OK...  this may be basic stuff for some of you fin setting experts, but I'm just getting started really working with fin settings.

Here's the question:

If my ski adjustments calls for removing some tip, wouldn't that action alone result in also changing the fin length?    I'm assuming that the screw near the back of the fin stays tight and then the tip of the fin is moved inward.

Or, do you add depth to compensate for tip reduction so that over all fin length is maintained?

Sorry, I just don't quite get it.

• Baller
Just like any good trouble shooting technique, you only want to change one parameter at a time to be able to measure the effect.  When you take out tip, you lose fin length.  Increasing depth should be an independent movement and should not affect length.

• Baller
Yes, taking out tip will make the fin have less length. The reason for that is that taking tip out and decreasing length are the same thing. It's just two different ways to say it. If your ski needs less tip I wouldn't change the depth unless you think the depth needs changing regardless of the tip.