1st cut of the season!

h2odawg79

The title sounds good, but unfortunately I was refering to the 1st cut of "Mowing Season"!

Today while I was changing the mower oil and battery, I started thinking; "crap! here we go again, another season of mowing, blowing and weed eating"!!! I've noticed in my area the majority of Hm. owners don't even cut their own yards anymore. But, I'm much too cheap to pay someone $45-50 for our 1/2 ac. a wk. to do what I "can" do. (I hate it, but I can do it...) When it rains we can't ski or cut grass, -that means many times following rainy days I have to fit the mowing in between rain days and then that means I can't ski on those days either!!! 

So, how many of you Guy's find time enough to do the yards and still ski your butts off too?!?!  Do ya'll hire it out or what?  What about reg. Hm. maint. and all the little honey do's? I was just curious as to how others get through ski season when life gets in the way...

• Baller

I do it myself for the same reason you do,i CAN do it myself.But it don't interfere with my skiing as i live on a lake and 5 minutes from my course.I also take 6 straight weeks off work starting around June 24.

If i had to choose between skiing  and mowing,well,let's say the grass would be really high at my place...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
I've got 80,000 sq ft of grass to cut, a house that I'm building with my own hands (no subs or hired help for the most part) in my "spare" time, capital improvements including installing 800 lf of irrigation sprinklers and moving over 50 tons of rock by hand in the next 3 weeks, all in addition to my full time job.  The only days off I've had in the last 3 years were due to recovering from surgery. The bright side... it's all on a tournament lake that a few frends and me built.  It's been an 8 year process, but we're almost done.  So even though life does get in the way, I get in plenty of skiing.  Just be sure that skiing takes priority over mowing the grass!

• Baller

Since my son moved out old dad is back to mowing his own yard again...  I get to ski on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings, period.  If it's mowing or skiing, the mowing (and everything else) gets worked into the skiing schedule.  If I get crap weather on either or both those days I'm just SOL.  If something else comes up on one or both occasions 99% of the time it gets blown off until later as my opportunities to ski are limited. 

Ed

I actually enjoy cutting the lawn for the same reason I hated doing it as a kid - it's mindless.  It's a nice escape to sit on the tractor for an hour and do nothing.  I have noise cancelling headphones that I wear and listen to my ipod.  I live on a public lake.  We couldn't really ski past 11:00 anyway because the wallys come out.  So, I just ski and foot first, then do some chores.

Marco - sounds like it will be very cool when you're done.  Congrats!

• Baller_
Marco - please post some pictures, your lake project sounds really cool. As for my yardwork and around the house stuff, I try to get it all done before the tournament season gets underway. That way it's just simple mowing and fixing thing if they do go wrong between June and August. My drive to the lake is almost an hour each way, so skiing always takes a full 1/2 day at least, twice a week.

• Baller

Because the lake Jean B, RD and I ski is at private, nobody seems to ski before 10 am.  I like to ski early and then have the rest of the day to do all the other stuff....  Being in law enforcement it can be stressful at times.  I love mowing as it is mindless and I find it relaxing.  Not only do I mow my own lawn, I mow a 40 acre lake....

Check out my ride....

Tuney,

Ya, we have mostly 1/2 - 3/4 ac. lots and everbody and their grandmother seems to be a grass cutter out here! I fall short of calling them "landscapers", because most of them only mow, blow and trim. Sometimes we get so much rain/sunshine that we have to cut twice in the same wk.! I bought a 50" Z turn back in '06. That has been the best yard $$$ I've ever spent! -Next to all the concrete I poured!Sealed

I mow twice a week but it only takes me about an hour and a half to do it. I love to plug in the tunes and tune out. I am only 10 mins from the lake so it really does not cut (pun intended) into my ski time.

• Baller

I feel for ya Marco. We are 3 years in on the lake project. Anyone who thinks digging a lake is going to be good for your skiing has not done it. 40 ac of grass takes a while to cut even with a 15' batwing. I did just plant 30 ac of pine this spring. 40 seemed pretty easy this past weekend compared to the 70 from last summer. I cut just around the lake every week or so. The big area only gets it about every 4-6 weeks. 

I do hire it out at times. Typically during the summer when we are more busy going to tournaments. There is a guy down the road who I hire to run my tractor. 

• Baller

Scot,

You got that right.  By the time I get my ski ride in, I am so tired from digging, framing, landscaping, or whatever the chore of the moment is, I can barely hold onto the rope.  The bright side is that we are almost there.  After this summer, i'll be able to sit on my new porch (in front of my nemisis, 2 ball), and sip a cold one after a ski session.  There will still be maintenance, but it will be nothing like building the lake or a house.

Here is a photo taken in the spring of 03.  The land we bought was completly desolate.

• Baller

I hate mowing b/c during the summer all I can think about while I'm mowing is the fun I could be having doing other things...

I pay my ski buddy to mow my yard...

If I could cut grass in the winter, I wouldn't mind it...as it is, I'm content to blow snow.

• Baller

Gern- Thanks! Funny you say that.  We named it Vision Lake for that exact reason.  When we first looked at the property, I wouldn't even let my partner stop the car, it was so ugly.  It was unproductive farmland that had sat fallow for the last 30 years, with soils turned white from salinium, and nothing but tumble weeds and prarie dogs.  The locals thought we were crazy, as did most of our friends, (and we doubted our own sanity for awhile).

In the end, it was the only land that was flat enough, long enough without roads or ditches bisecting it, and with enough water, in the area.  After a full summer of looking, we went back to it in the end.  At the time it was hard to imagine the potential beauty of the place.  Now it is our own little oasis.

• Baller

That is it.  The satellite picture was taken prior to starting construction on the houses.  The good thing about being next to the airport is nobody can complain about boat noise./vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-wink.gif

Marco -

should you decide to sell some lots to help recoup the costs of your investment, it might be a great idea to throw some covenants onto the sale agreements.  A short list of things to consider would be limiting the size of the homes, setting minimums for the size of the homes, number of boats that can be docked and where, type of boats allowed on the lake, etc.  I'd bet there are others on the forum like ELeeSki that have experience in the types of things that you might wish to restrict.

I was just in CO a month or so skiing at Vail.  I didn't note your property from the air, but then again I wasn't looking for it.

• Baller

Gern-When we developed the property, we were allowed under county regs to peel off 3 six acre lots without going through a full subdivision process, which would have killed the project.  In addition, my partner and I each have a 35 acre parcel, so we have 5 homesites on the lake total.  We pre-sold 2 of the 3 six acre lots to good friends, who helped build the lake.  The last lot was purchased in '03 by the second person who looked at it.

We do have covenents that restrict boat types, house sizes, etc.  We modeled our CC&R's after Shortline Lake in CA.

We're not that close to Vail, about 150 miles south west give or take, but there are 2 lakes closer to Vail, one about 1/2 hour west, and the other in Carbondale near Aspen.

• Baller
Finally.......The work on the house is 99.9% complete.  Now I can look forward to lots of R&R (and mowing).  It's been 8 years since we began building the lake and 2-1/2 since I began building my house.  The process about killed me, but now that it's done, it was totally worth it.  Don't think I could do it again though.  Lawn maintenance will keep me busy enough!

• Baller

Jim- Telluride is about an hour and 15 minutes from our lake.  Our waterski season typically begins sometime during the last week in April and is skiable into November, although we usually close things down in mid to late October so we can hunt during Elk season.

Haliburton is doing a lot of gas drilling in the Grand Junction area (an hour north of Montrose), so I would imagine there would be a demand for geologiosts in the neighborhood.  If you want to check out the area, let me know and I can set you up.

• Baller

Scot- Keep at it.  At times I felt like I would never get to the end.  Do you have any in-progress pics you can post?

Dawg- The mountain biking in the area is awesome, especially in the mountains, as is the motocross.  The adobe hills in the background of the photo are a mecca for motorcycles.  There is also great fly fishing in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, which is sandwiched between the 2 mountain ridges on the upper left of the pic.  The stone fly hatch there is epic.

• Baller

Deke hit it on the head.  The main downside is that I still have to work.  If I won the lottery, then all would be golden.  The only other catch is I've been injured much of the summer and have barely been able to ski.  As I said earlier, building this house solo almost killed me...

Gern- No bunion, just a funny camera angle.  Now if you mentioned the sandal tan...

• Baller
We are a bit too narrow for a jump.  Probably a good thing because I already have plenty of other ways to hurt myself.http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-yell.gif

Wow, mowing season is now officially Over! I did my LAST CUT OF THE SEASON! -Had to, I'm heading in for my shoulder job tomorrow. No more Mowing, DR's orders! (That's what I told my wife anyway!)http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-wink.gif