SN 200 problem

Marco

• Baller
These problems don't suprise me. It sounds like the SN 200 is slow and clumsy like a wakeboard boat. If you look at the specs, the boats are 2800 lbs. That is way too heavy for a ski boat. My boat is 2300 lbs with 240 HP. If you add 500 lbs to that and add 100 more horsepower you are losing the benefit of the bigger engine. I looked at one on the showroom floor. It is BIG! I would think they would design it to be faster since the majority of the customers would be skiing on a specialty site. Does anyone know how fast it goes from 0-36, or the distance to 36 MPH? I was impressed by the fit and finish which was absolutely superb! ( I would expect nothing less from Correct Craft). Master Craft and Malibu pretty much rule the lakes in OH and PA.

• Baller

2300 lb and 240 horspower for todays skiing is severly underpowered. Technology is evolving as we need the engine systems to be micro-second responsive to ZO as required.  A strong skier can easily pull down the 240 hp boat on an off the dock pass, not the case with ZO.

"Master Craft and Malibu pretty much rule the lakes in OH and PA." 

mastercrafts and malibus are strong in that area but Ohio has it's fair share of Nautis as well. It's almost a mixed bunch.

Stillwater: Club boat 2009 Nauti with ZO. Several members have Nautis on lifts too.

Belle Lago: owners boat-Nauti, ScarletArrow skis there with his 200 and there was a 3rd Nauti there last time I was there and not a MC in sight.

Also some other private lakes in the NE had CC's.

• Baller_
A wicker bill or gurney flap, basically a 90 degree vertical lip on a race car or airplane wing is not a very efficient device but is very effective at creating additional lift but at a significant drag penalty.  Eric's suggestion of retracting the hydrogate lip, which is a vertical lip will reduce the drag on the boat which will increase speed, but of course not provide the ideal slalom wake.  I am not sure how wide or tall the hydrogate lip is, but a 1" gurney on a typical race car wing can add 10 # of air drag, you will have to convert that to water which is 25 times denser, so it is very significant.  Turbulent water will change the density significantly so that also affects any drag calculation.

• Baller_

Eric! Dude! you are spending way to much time out in the desert sun again :) !!! See you in Chi-town.

I have a Ski 200 OB 6 liter. The boat is an awsome slalom boat and IMHO tricks better than it's predisesor. Top speed is down nearly 7 MPH from my 196 and will run 47mph and some change. RPM at 34 is 3880 with someone on the string. I have seen very good slalom scores as this boat has pulled two tournaments with the Masters as one of them. Will Bush thanked me for setting the boat up and said it was a very good boat to drive.

One thing I found out last evening and hopfully some one else will varify this is that the 22 off bump was better when I put the hydrogate in trick /jump mode than when it was in slalom mode. This was the only line length that one would want to try it as the rest off the line lengths are fantastic in slalom mode. we also found that for most slalom skiers at 34 with this boat B3 on the ZO felt the best. Mine does not seam loud inside no more than my 196 or most recent MasterCrafts. The boat is very easy to drive straight and handles real well in the turns. I too would like to move the ZO display into the dash and get it off the console but I will save that one for a rainy day.

More to come as I get more experiance with the little boat.

I am a CC kool aid drinker. I love the way the 200 drives and skis. I drove the 200, 2010 malibu and MC last week. I got back home and drove the 196 after being in those boats all weekend. It felt wonderful to be back in the small sports car. With most lakes being 2000-2500 feet long and 300 feet wide, why do they make such big boats. Bring back the 196. Lets start a BOS bring back the 196 campaign.   

• Baller
I don't know if the boat we have didn't get insulation or you got more, but it is WAYYYY louder than my 08 196 with the same engine. Now we're talking about the difference in the 5.7 and the 6.0 too, and it seems your 6.0 turns a good bit less rpm.  We had a lot of pb's set behind it. But the boat crews all complained about the noise level. Which is funny considering some of them own 08 and 09 MC's which up until now I considered to be the most obnoxious boat to drive because of it's exhaust note. In the case of this 200, it wasn't the exhaust but the engine noise right behind you that got to everyone.

• Baller

Jody: " I too would like to move the ZO display into the dash and get it off the console but I will save that one for a rainy day."

If you decide to move the head (and you being you, you probably know this), keep in mind that the 200 ZO head has special accelerometers because of the angle the head sits at relative to the front of the boat; they are not the same as when the head is mounted 90 degrees to the direction of travel.

• Baller_

"If you decide to move the head (and you being you, you probably know this), keep in mind that the 200 ZO head has special accelerometers because of the angle the head sits at relative to the front of the boat; they are not the same as when the head is mounted 90 degrees to the direction of travel. "

Roger to my knowledge the ZO head units are built identically from one mounted fore and aft to one mounted on a side plane. The difference is the program that runs them. I have both programs in my lap top. Then again I could be wrong!!! :)

• Baller

I visited the Correct Craft factory and got a very informative tour of how they make these boats.  I was impressed.

During the tour, I asked him what model sells best assuming it was a wake board boat.  I was suprised to hear the 200.  He said the 200 outsells all other models by far.  This was also evident by the 200s all over the factory.  Glad to see slalom boats selling to strong.

By the way, I skied behind the 200 for a week while at Swiss ski School last week.  I did notice something at -28, but its -28 so who cares.  From -32 on, I would have to say the wakes are a bit nicer than my 09 196.  Difference is minimal, but after coming back home, I could tell. 

• Baller_
Boody - my first ride of the season behind the 200 was the second round last Saturday, and at -28 I couldn't help but be distracted by the "bubbly" look of the prop wash in the center. I almost blew the pass by losing focus, but you're right, after the -28 it gets a whole lot better.

• Baller_
Boody, that is very good news for the skiing community.  That should mean that resources will be allocated back towards the ski boat instead of all focused on the wakeboard side.  I would assume all three companies are seeing somewhat similar product distributions depending on product freshness impact (SN200 being the new one).

Boody,

Did you ask them how many were produced or sold? 2 things, if you add up all wakebaord models, they are out selling the ski boat. Also, I think that all CC dealers nation wide were required to have a 200 on the show room floor for 2010. Between the Promos and dealer boats, you may have seen a spike in production over 2009.    

• Baller

Getting ready to order a 2011 SN200. One item on the options list is the CAT Clean Emissions System........Does anyone have a 200 with this?  Does it effect performance or allow the engine to run quieter at all?

Would greatly appreciate opinions on this system.

Thanks,  ED

• Baller_

Ed

I had A cat motor in my 09 and after PCM recalabrated in the later part of 09 I could not tell the difference between the 08 non cat and the 09 w cat. Currently the 200 I have has a standard 6.0 409 non cat.

Are you ordering the 5.7 or 6 liter?

• Baller

Thanks for the response. I was planning on the 5.7 CB. The boat will only be used for Slalom and some Trick on a private lake here in Orlando. (Sea Level).

I have driven and skied behind two SN200's, both were 5.7 and seemed to have plenty of power. One was with Andy Mapple. He said he would go with the 6.0 if used for jump or higher altitude, otherwise the 5.7 was fine.

Respect any opinion you have concerning this. Really wondered if the Cat system made the boat quieter or more efficient.

Thanks, ED

• Baller_

In the 196 I could not percieve any more or less noise either in or out side the boats between the two that I have had cat and not cat. The mufflers are the same Vernay hull hugger that have been in the boats for the last 10 years and remains the same muffler in the 200.  As far as efficient  it is six of one and a half dozen of another. PCM has done a very good job with both motor combinations and have wrung about as much hp out of them as is possible and remain rather stock. I am still trying to get used to the slower speeds that this hull produces on top end but then again if I want to fast in a boat I have two flatbottom v-drive sprint boats to go harass the fishermen with.

I am also playing around with a few propeller combinations and will spill the results when I have enough data.

• Baller

"Roger to my knowledge the ZO head units are built identically from one mounted fore and aft to one mounted on a side plane. The difference is the program that runs them. I have both programs in my lap top. Then again I could be wrong!!! :)"

Hi Jodi, Skip Dunlap was at our tournament this weekend and brought one of the Masters boats down for us. I asked him about the ZO head in the 200s and he said it is most definately different internally than the other heads as is the programming for it. He seemed totally sure of it, so I would check with them (ZO) before moving the head if you are serious about doing it.

• Baller_

Hi Roger,

AS per Joe Grogan Of ZO one of the designers and programer, in quote when I asked him about five min ago on the phone he said " Their is no physical difference between a head unit that is mounted in the dash and one that is mounted in the console of a 200. The program to run each of them are different." So Mr. Dunlap is out to lunch on this one!

Now what is not available is a program to run a display forward that has the "current" RevQ 200 program in it. So If I decide at this point to swap positions I will have to run an "original" version revQ 200 program that was available early in the year like what We ran at Moomba..

At the Lakeland open this weekend I did hear from a couple other drivers say that they also would prefer the ZO display mounted in the dash as it was a little irritating at times to opperate the system while taking their eyes off the water. Not a big deal just a prefrence.

• Baller

Hi Jody,

As I said, check with the source (which you did) Smile

After 5 tournaments already this season, plus a couple last season where I drove the 200, I've gotten used to where it is. However, I do think it would be safer to have it in the line of vision. We don't always have a judges display in class C events, so you have to turn your head to give the BJ the time and that is a distraction at the very least. As for around the dock, at all the sites I drive at, you come in to pick up the next skier on the drivers side anyway, so you're kind of looking to the right to begin with. I kind of like the location for that, so a mixed bag I guess.

Roger

PS: Skip's not always right, be he can sound as though he is...

• Baller

We just did an 02 and were told there is no ZO display that will fit. We mounted the display that came in the kit to the center post for the wind screen. Jody, if there is a display that will fit the hole size of the 02 SN (SE), please let me know as I would try to make a swap with the kit provider we used.

• Baller_

I think maybe MasterCraft utilizes a 3.5 display although it is back mounted. Tim would only have the large display and probably did not think about the 02 boat and designing a adapter ring and utilize the MC ZO control. Plexus works wonders... Food for thought!

• Baller
Tim found me a 3.5 inch MC display with a white bezel. I elected to go with the dark 5" carbon face to more closely match my 02 instruments. I mounted it in t he cup holder similar to the 200. It has been working great with no problems. I will attach some pics if I can figure it out.

Thager - I see your digital gauges are still in place.  My buddy's have long since faded and are in need of replacement.  Is this clean living on your part or have you replaced them?  And if you've replaced them, where did you get them?  I'd like to pass along that info.

thanks

• Baller

bruce -

i checked on your prop numbers...interesting.

the 12.5 x 15 matched the Acme 654

the 645 # would seem to indicate an Acme 645, but the numbers don't match up (13.25 x 16)...maybe you transposed them?

i was told by CC that the traditional 422 (12.5 x 15.5) would still work

my is definitely the Acme 1868 (12.5 x 14.25) which appears to be so new that it's not even listed on CC's website.

http://www.acmemarine.com/prop-list_ski-boat.php

• Baller

Deke-He ended up upgrading to the 409 hp engine, and the sped problem is solved.  Even at 36, the boat is up to speed well before the 55's.  Plenty of power with the extra ponies, so all is well.

I've been trying to send you emails with no response, so I must have an old address.  Drop me an email so I have your current info.  Thx.

• Baller

Shane-  I don't know the specifics, but I do know that CC treated my friend in a professional manner, and my friend is satisfied with both CC and the 200.  It is an awesome boat, and with the larger engine, does everything we need and more.

Jim- I think the 409 should be standard for any boat that will be used at altitude, but for all the lower elevations it sounds like the 340 works fine.