recovery duration from skiing after hernia surgery??

davemac

• Baller

Anyone had a hernia repair done lately, that might have insight as to amount of down time before being able to ski again??  I've got a surg. consult this afternoon, and antipate needing repair for an inguinal hernia.  I'd rather it not interfere w/ summer vaca and ski plans.  I'd prefer to have it either done immediately, or delay til Fall (if either is an option).  Just wondering what the down time is post-repair.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

• Baller

It probably depends a lot on the size of the repair and the size of the incision needed to gain access to the hernia. What does the surgeon say about recovery time?

I had exploratory surgery done for a possible hernia back in the eighties. They didn't find anything, but they made a 4 inch long incision to gain access. It took several weeks before I could ski again.  

I've been the Proud Father of 2 inguinal Hernias (so far!) My last one happened about this time of year and I tried to put it off til fall. I do a lot of const. and Hvy. lifting and I made it until Aug. and the tear got so Big that the pain and discomfort was almost unbearable. (it felt like someone had kicked me in the groin almost all day long...) Then, I could not get the surgery scheduled until Oct. The recovery part (very limited activity) was a lot easier to swallow that time, -after Mon's of pain, I was in No Hurry to do anything!

My 1st one healed a lot quicker with No residual pain or reminders because the tear was a lot smaller. So, I'd recommend considering your daily activities and how they might affect the tear for the next 4 mon's or so...

Good Luck... 

• Baller

I had an inguinal hyrnia about 14 years ago - dang it doesn't seem that long ago.  As I recall I was greenlighted to "stretch it out" almost immediately, however I was in no hurry to do so.  I had to wait a couple of months for the surgery, but I would recommend getting it taken care of as soon as possible.  You're not going to be a very effective skier with intestines pushing their way next to yer boys.  You'll be able to do everything within four weeks after surgery, but you'll be tender for quite some time.  I still feel mine when the weather changes.  Bottom line in my mind is get it done as soon as possible and get it behind you.  Like Dawg said, it only gets worse and worse and the side effects (gas storing in your pinched intestines) are nearly as bad as the discomfort and pain.

Good luck and happy healing!

JP :)

• Baller

I found out that I had a reaction to Vicadin the night following my surgery which resulted in getting out of bed (excruciating), hobbling to the bathroom (equally excruciating), and throwing up (extremely excruciating).  I would recommend getting an anti-nausea pill to go with your pain relievers to avoid a similar debacle.

JP :)

• Baller
I had my surgery this December. Was limited to 20lbs for 6 weeks and then have at it as long as there was no pain. I actually shoveled snow the morning after my surgery as I am surrounded by women here. I second the anti- nausea thing although I cured my problem by not taking any more painkiller of any kind following my trip to the toilet.

• Baller

Uggh...thanks for the advice...I guess.  Surgeon confirmed obviously an inguinal hernia and also pointed out an umbilical one to go along w/ it .  I had one on the other side about 18 years ago, although lower.  This one is higher, no pain yet...but I know its there.  No chance of laproscopy...scalpel w/ min 4 week healing.   Dang...ski clinic in 4 weeks, and  vaca at the lake 4 weeks after that.  What ticks me off is I went to my primary care dr 6 weeks ago, and he wouldn't diagnose this as a hernia...told me to keep an eye on it.  Now, I'm into ski/golf season...which is valuable and short here in the northeast.

Dr told me I can attempt to delay thru summer...unless pain really starts to kick in.    Thanks again for the responses.

• Baller

Umm.. First, I would get it done laparoscopically if your surgeon has a lot of lap experience. It has a longer learning curve and a higher recurrence rate in the beginning of a surgeon's experience. However, when done properly, you will have less pain, faster recovery and less risk of nerve injury or infection.

Regardless of the technique, in the first 4 weeks (at least) after surgery, the more you use your abdominal muscles, the more likely the chance of the hernia coming back. At least that's how the teaching goes. And slolom skiing uses a lot of abdominal muscles.

After six weeks, the mesh will be healed well enough in place that it won't really matter what you do.

If you have an umbilical hernia, then that would be fixed on the way in automatically if your repair is done laparoscopically. Otherwise, it would need a separate incision.

Lastly, excess fat does not help.

Laz

• Baller

Thx, Laz.  My umbilical hernia is not a concern at the moment.  Based on the location of the inguinal one (half way point between naval and "little dave") surgeon felt scalpel was the way to go.  Good advice on the excess fat....I'm not carrying much at the moment.  Spent the last several months doing P90x and getting down to my fighting weight of 185 in anticipation for a good season (best shape I've been in years)...which now makes this all the more frustrating.

Never had the problem you describe, but a little research uncovered these guys.  A careful reading of the ad reveals that they may specialize in fitting an... um, appliance for you that could help while you "attempt to delay thru summer".

Good luck,

TW

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/Graphic1-1.jpg

• Baller
Thx again, Laz.  Following your advice (and the others who said not to delay).. I've got another surg consult Mon w/ what I hope is a "wizard of laproscopy", who comes highly recommended from a heart surgeon wifey works w/. 

• Baller
That's a good idea. There are very few inguinal hernias that can't be fixed with the laparoscope. If it was me, that's how I would have it done....umm.. that's how I do it.

• Baller

Update...just back from hospital after having laparoscopic repair done on "moderate"  inguinal hernia.  Let the healing begin!!    This was a far different experience than the open repair (scalpel) I had done on the other side 18 years ago, when layers of stitches felt like a ski handle was buried under my skin.

Thanks all (particularly Laz) for the advice.

WOW! That was quick! Cool

Hey Dave, keep this post updated as you can on your recovery process and all. After having one fixed on each side, I don't know how probable it would be for me to get another. But, this new type of surgery needs a little more PR work and people asking their Doc's about it. So more Doc's will in turn offer such a great alternative...