Zero Off and Perfect Pass

Skihack

• Baller
I have been driving my daughter all her life with out any cruise control. She has improved consistently over the years. Now she wants to ski tournaments so I am looking at a cruise system. I have a 98 SN so I will probably go with a Stargazer rather than drop 58 K in the bucket for a new Zero Off enhanced boat. I had the opportunity to sit in the boat while she skiied a zero off boat. My eyes were wide open. I have never heard so much throttling. I can drive for you like that for a whole lot cheaper. I believe zero off would be absolutely perfect for Jumping but for slalom? After much thought, I began to wonder if maybe this zero off system is why ski companies are building wider skis. I believe everybody to trying to figure out how to run 41 off without loading the line. Good luck with that. Now, I can see why there is so much discussion on the ski forums with respect to Zero Off.

• Baller

skimech,

I skied two rounds behind a 2010 SN200 this weekend, and judged in the boat and drove a class of skiers.  Many people comment on how high the boat revs over what we are all use to, ie, over 4000rpms at 55K and 58K.  What I noticed that with the high revs, there is very little of the throttling even with the heavier hard pulling skiers.  I don't know if spinning the engines at higher revs was intended to help with the "Throttling" ZO does or just needed to get the 200 up to speed and down the lake, but either way, higher revs has really minimized the "Throttling" I was use to hearing the last couple of years. 

I don't know about the new MC or Malibu, but the SN is a ton better.  I skied great behind it this weekend.  When driving the boat I felt like I was killing the skier with how the boat sounded, but when skiing it, I could not hear the boat or feel any difference from my 05 Malibu LXI w/PPSG.  OF 

• Baller_
Skimech - step up for a good, used promo boat after this tournament season, tell the wife that it's "to benefit your daughter's skiing", and you'll be happy from the driver's seat.  Oh, and BTW, I'll have a 2010 MC available in October.......

• Baller

We had a sudden windstorm pop up during my tournament round on Saturday.  I guarantee that the wind blew 40mph as I came up the lake. ZO had it within .01 all the way up. Skimech, if you think you can do that then you are the best driver on the planet.

• Baller
I second Doane's opinion. I have no cruise and am old school . Her skiingscores have not gone down when she skis behind ZO or PP enhanced boats so I must be doing something close to right. I am looking at getting Stargazer and wanted to get some exposure to it. I was just shocked at how much throttling I was hearing. Guess as long as it's consistent it will not be a problem. I really am not a good driver, just a wannabe. Been driving 40+ years, trained and schooled by Jack Walker and Bill Stevenson. But those were drivers way before cruise controls came on the horizon. If you really want to know who the best drivers are look to see who pulls the skiers who are on the podium. Thanks to all on the positive comments.