Strada help please

ktm300

• Baller

Skiing at 55 on a 67.  Out of the box #'s with my calipers 2.503, 6.855 .753.  29.5 with an FM front and 17.75 Wiley's rear.  Great first ride.  Onside is really good.  The offside turns are too big/ take too long to initiate.  Once it finishes the big turn, angle is good.  Left on my own, I'm thinking shallower.   Thanks for your input.

ps  I'm usually excited to have a new ski.  This thing keeps so much speed up through the turns, I love the way it feels and my body appreciates the easy ride.  Just need to get it turning the offside without screwing up the onside.

• Baller

I'm kinda right there with you KTM.  I really like the ski but I can't say that I'm nearly as blown away with it as a lot of folks seem to be.   I've got probably 12 - 15 sets on it by now.  I came off a very similar feeling MPD that I absolutely loved so maybe the difference isn't as pronounced to me coming from that ski. 

Onsides are monster, the offsides when I do them right are really really good, I'm just not consistant with them yet and they're often like you said, too big and take too long to initiate.  I think I'm overthinking the off side turns a bit and I'm still getting the feel for the ski so in all honesty I think my offside issues are more with me than the ski.  Having said that I recently ran my first 32 of the season after running 4 back-to-back 22's, each progressively better than the previous attempt.  Ran the 22's, stroked 28, then the 32 to 2 @ 35.  Pretty good set (for me) this early in the season on a ski I'm not totally in tune with yet.  Getting really consistant with my 28's which is my primary focus at this point.  I'm on a 68" running stock numbers FWIW. 

I do think there are some definite improvements over the MPD.  If it's possible I think the Strada is even more stable and user friendly than the MPD which IMO is the most user friendly, stable ski I've tried until this one.  Definitely faster across course and once you establish your edge and angle it's locked in.  I've pulled out of several fold-ups that would have pitched me out the front on the MPD which to me is a huge improvement. 

All in all I think it's an excellent ski and an improvement over my previous one, but perhaps not the quantum leap it seems to be for others.  I think you probably just need more seat time with yours to get the feel for it.

Ed

• Baller

ktm, i'm on a 67 and had the same feeling so I moved the fin back to 74.5

now the ski starts the off side turn earlier and tighter, on side is wicked good.

29.50 reflex 17 1/4 aniaml    2.500  6.851  74.5  9 down     running -22 28 32 nice now will start some 35 this week

Deano

• Baller

ktm, I'm demoing a 67" Strata, 3rd set today.  Had a very similar feeling to what you experienced with the fin setting on my demo.  Went to Rossi's fin settings below and it is fantastic.  It's the best stick I've every skied on.  I've tried the RS-1(My primary 09-10 ski), Prophecy, D3 RCX, Elite(three weeks on), Fischer(Great ski),Goode 9800(my 08 ski), HO A1 & S1, but not the latest 9900 Goode's (Bad experience with two 9800, will probably never try a Goode again and I've had 5).  The Strata just fits my sloppey / scrapy style.  Great 3rd set for just learning a ski new ski 1-22, 2-28, 4-32, and three balls at 35off, all at 34 MPH.  Only fell on the 35off.  I have no doubt I will be making my 35off every day with in two weeks.  It's the lowest effort ski I've ever owned, very efficient.  It allows you to go all back leg with shoulders too far back and still make it.  Dig to deep on the front and it doesn't stall bad and drop you in the drink.  It really lets you sense your balance on the ski, similar to the Elite and Fischer but better.  Fantastic job Radar.  I'm probably crazy but I have a Z7 ST on the way early next week.  I picked up the Strata just after ordering the Z7 ST and never expected to like it so much it's killing me.  Good luck I hope this helps you like it did me.  ROSSI'S SETTINGS:Size    Boots    Depth    Length   DFT      Wing

65"     28 1/2     2.490      6.840    0.750      9

66"     28 3/4     2.495      6.840    0.750      9

67"     29 1/2     2.495      6.840    0.770      9

68"     30           2.495      6.850    0.790      9 http://www.perfski.com/cart.cfm?cart_action=item_info&category_guid=ce3223a0-0ddb-4aba-8a8b-55df8023db27&item_guid=350b0fbe-ffb2-22af-2647-6a510c31a92a

Best Regards, DW

• Baller

Those are not the numbers that Rossi posted here before. Here's what Chris posted in another thread on the Strada.

65  28 1/8" 2.500, 6.845,  0.745  9
66  28 5/8" 2.500, 6.845, 0.750  9
67  29 1/2" 2.505, 6.850, 0.750  9
68  30"       2.500, 6.855, 0.760  9

• Baller

To my knowledge those are "factory" numbers when the skis were first released ShaneH.  That's what I've been running.  Perhaps now that there is a lot more experience with the skis those numbers have been revamped??  Ultimately, obviously it's what works for you (me) but I'm open to suggestions as to where is the "best" place to start. 

FWIW the numbers you posted ("original factory numbers") seemed to work better in cold water but as the water has warmed up not so much.  So I THINK I need to decrease my DFT a bit as a starting point, which is what is why I ask the question about the DFT number DW posted (which puts the fin much farther forward).  Input anyone? 

Ed

• Baller

Guys, I just did a Google search on Strada fin setting and the Performace Ski site came up, I don't know those numbers are latest. 

The biggest thing I noticed when sking the Performace numbers was reduced effort cross coures, much snapper/quicker turns especially on off side, increased tail slide but it's never blown out and feals great, and more forgiving.  I skied tonight and just love this ski 1-22(Don't need to do that one any more)  2-28's (the most control I've had in years), 3-32's back to back (no falls, I can actually play around and work on my form, if I come in hot just get on the front and it'll scream a killer cut, wow what a ski), 3 balls at at 35off twice,  I screw ed up because I can't belive how easy it is, I just have a brain fart and don't do the basics, it's killing me.

I'm courious if anyone has compaired the standard Strada to Hortons Strada 55.  I would really like to hear about the differences before I settle in on this one. Anyone try them back to back?

DW

• Baller

Here's what Chris Rossi's website is currently giving for settings, which is different from both above

http://www.proskicoach.com/skis/Radar/Strada/2010

Recommended Settings

Length Front Binding DFT Length Depth Wing DFT Style Length Style

65          28.25            0.74 6.845    2.48     9        Head       Tips

66          28.625          0.75 6.85      2.49     9        Head       Tips

67          29.25            0.76 6.845    2.5       9        Head       Tips

68          29.75           0.775 6.855   2.505    9        Head        Tips

• Baller

Ed, yes it was from the Performance Ski & Surf web site.  For some reason when I pasted the chart and link it looked perfect on my screen but posted goofy.  I'll re-paste the link if it doesn't work just cut in paste it in your Browser and it should.  I have not called them to find out where they pulled there data from but I sure like it. 

http://www.perfski.com/cart.cfm?cart_action=item_info&category_guid=ce3223a0-0ddb-4aba-8a8b-55df8023db27&item_guid=350b0fbe-ffb2-22af-2647-6a510c31a92a  

I didn't get out tonight but had another great ski yesterday (For me anyway) on it with those settings.  I think I'm going to add a little depth but that it. I hope that helps.

DW

• Baller

I tested out Paul Jager's fin program last night because once the water warmed up into the upper 80s and 90s, my strada felt like a dog. Used the RS1 tab, put in the stock strada numbers as a base, put in my 90 degree water temp, 170lb weight, etc. His spreadsheet came out with these numbers for me on a 66:

Length 6.79
Depth 2.515
DFT .705
front binding 29.5

That was .055 less tip, .15 more depth, .050 less dft and moving the bindings back 1/8" from where I had it. All or nothing! lol

The ski felt the best it's ever felt. It was crazy good.

• Baller
I've been using that program for the past 2 years and my ski has never felt better! The settings seem whacked out but they work real well. I've found that if you change your set up every 5 degs you can keep you ski feeling exactly the same through out the season no matter where you are.

• Baller

DW,

I tried the numbers you posted and you were right, the ski is WAY better.  After a few passes to get the feel of it I was back to running deep 32's right out of the boat where I had been struggling to get through 28.  The 32's will be going down soon, just need to work out a couple of small timing issues.  Good info, thank you.

Ed