Need Goode Magnets!

ToddL

• Baller
Ouch! I hit one going through the gates like that. A guy on our lake had a "better" way of attaching magnets than what we had been using. The fin was thicker than the thin Elite one and kind of did a banana peel thing off one side. A nice wake up call at 7:30 in the morning. Luckily I was collegiate age at the time. I don't think my current body would get over the hit as well.

• Baller

I've been using 2.5 inch ceramic donut magnets attached to the slalom ball nipple with plastic safety ties. Never

had a problem hitting any of them in the last 10 years. Now that I have ZO I don't need them!

• Baller_
What do you specifically purchase when doing your own magnets?  Does anybody have a good specification for a course magnet that can be purchased commercially to make your own magbuoys?

• Baller
Confused...  There have been comments about magnets not needed for ZO.   This may be true for a practice site, but at tournaments, we always need specific times for all buoys.   That means magnets at every set of boat guides and the gates.  Right?

• Baller

Todd: Welcome to 2010 and the age of ZO where you dont need magnest; no more archaic magnets unlike the other cruise control systems that cheat and need them. You are correct, no magnets. ZO has a setup mode and you program in the entrance/exit gates.

It's a bit different for those guys skiing with the cheating system back in 2006 of Perfect Pass and Stargazer. Magnets are key.

Unless I am mistaken, Zero Off does not cross reference it's speed against magnet triggers. My understanding is that the sample rate is high enough, and speed accurate enough, that distance (and therefore time) can be calculated with a high degree of accuracy. If you used single-magnet timing, Stargazer works in a similar manner. 

• Baller

Magnets are still in most courses for people who can't (or won't) upgrade to ZO. ZO does not use magnets and due to differential GPS is accurate to .01 or better on times. This has been tested at several sites and by several different people by using magnet pickup timing and comparing to ZO times. They were/are always within .01 of the magnet times regarless of wind/skier, etc.

• Baller
BTW, in my opinion, that magnet strike (I agree the magnet was too high) was due to missing the gate. Can't imagine the fin contacting the magnet without a missed gate though I suppose anything is possible. I suppose he could have been late enough through the gate to contact the left hand gate's magnet. Our magnets (at Okeeheelee) are too low for this to happen.

• Baller

Thanks, folks.  I assumed that those 3 and four ball times were magnet based for ZO boats.   You know what they say when one assumes...  Now, I know.   ZO = no magnets required.

• Baller_
I would still be interested in feedback from anybody who bought thier own magnets as to what they purchased?  The 2.5" donut magnet sounds like an interesting and simple option.  I am just pretty much interested in what characteristic is key for an appropriate strength magnet.  Thx.

• Baller

I have the s1-x magnets from skier-to-skier. I have six of them placed about 2 feet down, so far no problems. I used six to set up my Perfect Pass Stargazer, but I run it on single magnet mode. Friends of mine have boats with Zero Off. One is a 2008 MC PS 197 TT with both systems. I am still using Perfect Pass until I can figure out which setting to use on ZeroOFF. It works great once you map the course coordinates. I am still trying to find the letter number setting that is the most similar to Perfect Pass. Any ideas? Both of them beep at each gate when they are in use. I tend to let my ski finish the turn, pause, then load on the rope. Per the article in WaterSki I am thinking A3 may be the right setting for me..

• Baller

As someone who has only recently come from PP (classic in a 200 SN) to full time ZO. I have to say that for me, the closest setting to PP is C(you pick, for me it was 2). The reason is that PP is a constant RPM system when not using the switch, so it is always there when you finish the turn. C picks you up the earliest and so feels the closest to PP to me. I spent the first year and a half using other settings because I mistakenly thought C meant "harder." It doesn't, it just means earlier. To help the situation, I went from KXn to KX++ in practice and that helped quite a bit.

Now that I have an 09 SN and ski ZO every set, I'm still using C2. However, now that there is a lag in tournaments (since I'm not going to Regionals or Nationals), I will play with the other letters a bit to see if I like something else better. If you've been afraid of C, give it a try as you might be surprised...

• Baller

I only ski with PP classic and Stargazer at my home sites. I have come to Coble's ski school the last 3 years and the first year I hated ZO and had them switch me to classic. The second two years I used A2 on ZO and have not noticed a considerable difference to PP. 5'11"/165.

My suggestion would be to try A2,B2 and then if you don't like either try C2 and so on until you find one you are comfortable with.