My Week With Trent

Horton

• Administrators

I spent a lot of time last week with Team Radar member and WSM Assistant Editor at Large (something like that) Trent (T$) Finlayson. Unfortunately I only had Trent watch me ski for 3 sets all week.  So I can only speak to a fraction of this slalom method. What I can tell you is that every one who skied with him was very impressed.  I would absolutely jump at a chance to ski with Trent again.

As for method: (this is my interpretation so I apologize to Trent in advance)
Trent seems to be among those who feel we are beyond the “New School” vs  ”Old School” thing.  His focus with a number of skiers was water speed control.  Starting at the gate pullout he emphasized maintaining water speed by moderating rope tension and load.  He talks a lot about gates  - thinking that if you carry enough speed and are in position at one, the rest of the pass will follow.

One of the things he said that I never thought of (DARN IT) when a skier has issues with alignment, the cause maybe lack of water speed. It makes sense that a skier that breaks forward would do so because slower water speed = more drag.

To my surprise, Trent had me counter less on my gate.  My understanding is that by trying to counter too much on the way out (RFF) I was losing alignment.  By keeping my hips less countered (shoulders still rotated to the right on the way out) I am now in a more stacked position.

In short: Hips and handle together as much as possible. Don’t overload. Stay stacked.

Fun Week.

Is it lack of water speed or to much and not enough at differant times in the course? Too much speed and lack of speed can both cause issues.  

If you have a radar gun on you from 2-3 ball, that speed should read the same for your pull in towards the gate ball.  

• Baller

We are fortunate enough at Aquaplex (Austin) to have regular coaching sessions with Trent since his training lake is located in close proximity. We all know that just because someone is a pro skier - that does not make them a good coach. Trent is a good coach beacuase he is a good communicator. After all.........he has the gig with WSM.

I am not an expert in slalom theory or technique, however, Horton's observations about Trent's philosophies on speed are very accurate. If I can do the gate correctly (like Trent tells me to) I have lots of angle and speed into one ball - but with very little load.

Speed is not a problem - speed with load and bad angle IS a problem.

Hips and handle together.............come around the ball and connect the handle back to the hip (stacked) while still maintaining that speed.

I would also agree about the new school versus old school comment.

• Baller
We have had Trent at our lake a couple of times in past few years and he has done a great job. Not only is he a great coach but also a great guy, very friendly. He will be at our lake, with the Fraser Valley Water Ski Club, in Abbotsford B.C. on July 10 & 11, and we still have a few spots left. If anyone is interested please send me an e-mail at waterskicorey at hotmail dot com or check our web page www.fvwsc.org under clinics for more info. I am looking forward to skiing with him again.