Come to Va for a tournament?

clemsondave

With the success of the tournaments at our lake, one thing we are missing is a bunch of out of region skiers. We’d like to gain some recognition as the great site that I believe it is. We’ve even had some discussions about bidding for a Big Dawg event. It’s a perfect lake only about 8 miles from a nice part of Richmond.

Our Little Dawg is Sept 11-12, but I would not be opposed to creating another tournament just for ya’ll. So, what would it take to get you to Va for a tournament? We can put something together pretty quickly, have a killer lake and some of the best driver’s around. I have a 200, but could probably get a MC and a Bu.

Some ideas (please share yours):

Simple 6 round/2 tournament weekend

Head to head for elite skiers (have a minimal qualification)

Team head to head

Any dates that jump out at you? As you know weather can be all over the place, but I’d say we’re good at least though end of Sept.

Dave

Richmond Water Ski Club

Put this into Google Maps

37.748933,-77.675357

• Supporting Member

I don't really see any chance of doing this this year, but one question that might be important for me in the future:

What sort of stuff is around there that could turn this into a family vacation?

On a general note, Sept 18/19 is a "free" weekend in the Northeast.  The last slalom tournament is the weekend after labor day, although I think most folks continue to practice until at least the end of September (I go to Halloween most years).  So if you wanted to entice New Englanders to make a trip, that would at least be a plausible weekend.   Much after that would feel like "out of season" to those this far north.

In theory, a 6 round weekend to close out the season seems very attractive -- I often feel I peak in September.  But in the foreseeable future justifying the trip is going to be very hard.

There is a ton around here to do for a family vacation. Especially if you are a history buff or have kids in school. Within an hour's drive you have Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, etc. Three large amusement parks - Paramount's Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens and Water Country USA. The mountains are about 1.5 hours away. Va Beach which is pretty nice these days is about 2 hours away.

Most of us around here also peak in Sept. Good solid year of skiing and the water temp starts getting back in that sweet range.

Yea, it may be too late for everyone to make plans and have a big turnout. Maybe we can put something on for next year. However, I welcome anyone that wants to come to our Little Dawg to get a taste of our site. If you are interested, let me know and I'll make sure you are invited and have transportation to/from the airport.