9900SL narrow-ride fin poll

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

Wondering if some folks on the "regular" 9900SL can comment on their fin settings.

I'm not looking for specifics (though that's fine if you have 'em), but more along the lines of "at factory" or "longer than factory" or "longer, shallower, and closer to tail" than factory.

Also, if you've previously skied on Goodes, have you tended to do roughly the same things relative to factory, or is the 9900SL different?

Just trying to get a general sense of which directions have tended to be most promising.

My ski is actually skiing "fine" right now (after fixing one thing with a DFT move earlier this year), but I've never really had a chance to tune it up because I wasn't at 100% last fall when I got it.  So in the next few weeks I want to experiment with some settings and see if I can squeeze out a little more performance and maybe threaten -38 again (which I haven't run in a few years, and was before my injury and on a 9600 [that unfortunately died]).

Also, my current settings are quite different from what I had on my 9600, which seems strange.  Notably, I am running a bit longer than factory, whereas on my 9600 I ran non-trivially less tip than factory.  (I don't have it in front of me, but I think it was like 0.02" shorter than factory.)  There's kind of a long story behind how I got here, but the bottom line is that just might be a mistake.

• Baller
On a good day with a slight head wind, SN200, a good driver, air-85, water -83, no spectators, I can run a 38. I'm 167 lbs. I don't have my exact numbers but I did raise the tip quite a bit but kept all other numbers close to stock. Dft, went a little forward to .717 instead of .711. I played around with a ton of combinations, and this is the best set up. 9900sl, 65.75.

Always had my 9800sl and 9900sl fins at the stock settings.  Ran into 38 a few times in practice, but could never do much on that loop.  I'm on a 9900MR now.......working much better for me.  

Haha! No, not that good.  But I have been MUCH more consistent at 35 and deep into 38 a few times……in practice.  We’ll see what happens when I get back to tourney skiing.