Strada bottom surface finish question?

skibug

• Baller
I know there are a lot of Radar guys on this site so I am hoping to get a sanity check on this.  I just got a new 2011 Strada today at the H2OZ training center (those guys are great).  I should have looked the ski over better before I left; but, here is the issue.  The bottom of the ski has micro-porosity (voids) banding through out the bottom of the ski.  I compared it against my D3 and the D3 is slick smooth; no voids.  There is one very noticable void (see attached image); it is the largest.  I can't get a good pic of the micro-porosity.  To me it seems that something might have went wrong in the molding process or the mold release.  It is like there were a bunch of very small sand granuals in the mold and they left this porosity in the skis bottom surface.  Is this the normal finish for the bottom of these Stradas; or, should I be concerned.  Admittedly, I am a little concerned that this may be through the volume of the ski. 

• Baller
That does not look normal to me. But some ski manufacturers intentionally make the bottom of the ski "porous" to break up the suction of the ski in the water, and in theory make the ski slightly faster. Same idea, but a larger scale, is the step-bottomed coefficient X.

• Baller

Eddie roberts jr., Thanks for the quick response and great customer support/service.  It was one of the factors I considered when looking at a new ski.

I purchased it throught Tadd at H2Osmosis. I will work it through him if you prefer; or, I will see what he proposes.  It is a 67" 2011 Strada SN 1295 for your information.  When you say it isn't normal, do you mean the larger void as in the attached picture or all of the porosity I mentioned?

• Baller
Yes the micro-porosity cannot be seen in the pics, too small to capture with the camera and correct lighting; but, there are bands of it (maybe 1" wide by 4" -5" inch long bands) running along the length of the ski in various locations.