What to do about my ski situation? (new skiier)

kfennell

Hello Everyone, I have been skiing with ward at Olde Oaks now for a few months and he told me that I should start posting on here asking some more questions to get some new opinions. Ward has been a ton of help getting me from not able to get up to skiing the course at 28 mph, but maybe with some new points of view I can make a jump. I thought I would start with my ski.

I am using a 69" F1X with double Sidewinder bindings, the ski is great, and the bindings are pretty good, most comfortable that I have worn, but that isn't saying alot. The F1X is great since I weigh 240 :( and am only skiing at 28mph 15 off right now so I need the long wide ski. However the bindings are falling apart already after two months and they simply do not provide the support that I want.

Since I bought the ski from Overtons they will take it back and give me a full refund minus shipping so I could go that route, but I don't know what I would replace it with, and they wont return just the bindings for a refund. For reference the only other ski I have skiied on was a 68" CDX with double Large Animals and I did not like it at all (Sorry Brian, thanks for letting me try it though!). The animals were way too tight on my arch (size 10.5 and very wide feet), and the ski wanted to sit in the water at a 45 degree angle since I was probably going too slow for it.

I figure I have three options (working with a budget of ~$800).

1. Return everything, get something new with hard shells or prodigys

Pros: Hard shells should fit better with the moldable liners

Cons: Hard to find a ski that is forgiving enough to learn on and delay in getting said ski to LA and hard to find something in my size to try on before I buy.

2. Return the Boots get 2 new ones, sell them and put hard shells on the F1X

Pros: Keep the ski I like

Cons: Hard to get boots locally hard to try something on in my size since ward has gorilla feet.

3. Keep skiing on these bindings replacing them each time they break

Pros: Simplest solution

Cons: I don't know if they will release when I fall since I do them up so tight. PITA

OK so that was alot of writing! I hope it makes sense. I have been up since 3am. In summary, what ski would you recommend for a 5'11" 240 lb guy skiing at 28 and looking to improve.

• Baller

I work with a lot of skiers at and around your level.  I've moved several of them to Radar Senates and they've all responded very well to the ski and have made good progress since going to it.  It's a forgiving ski that still has the performance attributes that you'll need to make progress.  Try to demo one if you possibly can.  The Senate is easily capable of taking you well into 34 mph before you'd ever need a "better" ski.

Hardshells are enough of an issue for a high end skier; for someone at your level I think they'd be too much to work with/adjust to.  Good quality rubber bindings (Radar makes good ones, D3 makes real good ones too) would be more comfortable to work with and more suitable for your level IMO.  One opinion.  Best of luck and keep ripping!

Ed 

Fennell, I am your ski level and made the move from an Obrien Syncro to the Senate C (67", 190 lbs) with the Strada front boot and RTP.  All I can say is WOW!  Like going from a mini van to NASCAR.  The ski is very stable and I had absolutely no problem with the conversion.  There's a 69" Senate C on ski it again for $250.......

• Administrators
Last time I rode the F1x I liked it. The new Connelly V is better. The Radar Senate is freakn great. I think at your level you do not want hard shells. The Radar or O'Brien stuff is great but keep it simple.

• Baller

I just put Strada bindings on my Connelly F1. They really are very comfortable bindings, and way better than the Enzos I had on before. I went Strada over Vector because of Davemac's comment about cold water....(Canada in October). However, I tried out the Vectors and they felt very similar.

Horton: I'm thinking of the Connelly V for my wife (just starting to get 3 or 4 buoys on the course at 28mph). Is it too much ski? Currently she's on a Connelly HP. When will the V be available?