Boat Towing

lkb

• Baller
I'm looking at buying a p/u truck. It's a Chevy with a 4.8 liter V8 and zero off.......Just kidding about the zero off, but does anybody know if this is a good motor for pulling boats around? I only have experience with the 5.3 liter engines and I know they are fine but this smaller engine truck is priced nice.

• Baller
I towed my 1972 Hydrodyne IO all over the U.S on a tandom trailer with a Ford Courier sporting a 2.3L 4 cylinder automatic 4x2, Never had a problem. Also pulled the same rig with a 1981 Corvette with the 5.7 automatic. Quite a nice looking combo! You did have to use your smarts to pull the rig out of the water and at the time the U.S speed limit was 55 mph!

• Baller
We tow our 1994 Nautique with a Chrysler Town and Country minivan. We only tow it from the house to the launch ramp, and then an occasional trip to the marina for service(every 4 seasons). It can tow 3500 pounds which is just big enough. It has a trailer towing package. It works for us, but I would not try towing my boat across the country with it.  If I were towing my boat to tournaments or multiple local lakes I would get a vehicle that could tow 5000-6000 pounds like a Jeep Liberty, Chevrolet TRaverse, GMC Acadia, or Ford Explorer. If I were towing by boat across the country I would get something with a V8 like a conversion van, or a pickup.. My boat sits on a lift all season long, and the trailer is kept in our boat garage. Towing does beat up a boat quite a bit. I try to tow ours at little as possible.

• Baller
As stated above you can tow with just about any vehicle. One thing you will want to keep in mind is stopping. The smaller the car/truck the harder it will be to stop especially in an emergency situation. Does the trailer have brakes?? If yes you could probably get away with a smaller car/truck if no brakes on the trailer I would go with a bigger vehicle so the boat will not push the vehicle around in a panic stop. just my $.02

• Baller

I have a Sierra 1500, 4x4 with a 4.8L.  It tows our 94 190 really easily.  Pulled our boat with a 5.3L 1500, and a 6L 2500 as well, the difference between the 5.3L and 4.8L was nothing; the 2500 felt like nothing was there. 

I have gone on many multi-hour trips with my truck and never doubted its towing capability with our boat.

Some people are convinced that you HAVE to have a 6500lb truck with a 6.0L diesel to pull a 3000 lb boat around.

• Baller

lkb,

I am getting about 15/13, hwy/city not towing; 10/8 hwy/city with the boat.

Not sure how representative this is of other similar trucks, bought it used, have 116k on it now. I feel like it should be a touch better than what I get...

• Baller

Like dave2ball said it's more about stopping it than being able to pull it.  I once towed a 3000 lb I/O with a 4x4 Jimmy S-10.  After one panic stop situation I upgraded to a Tahoe and wouldn't even consider going smaller again.  Idiot switched lanes right in front of me trying to get to a left hand turn and slammed on their brakes trying to make the turn (this was on the 4-lane going through Rogers, Arkansas - go figure...).  I slammed mine on too but all I got was a bunch of tire smoke and squealling.  Rig never slowed down a bit, just slid.  Fortunately I was able to whip it into the right hand lane and luckily there was no one beside me, barely missed the SOB.  Don't have that problem now and I would never suggest a smaller vehicle to tow with.  My $.02.

Ed

• Baller

I towed my '93 Prostar 190 from Seattle to Bozeman with a 4.7 liter Tundra.  Up and over five mountain passes... in snow and it did awesome.  Never even knew the boat was back there.  I've since traded up to the 5.7 liter engine 'cause it's just funner to drive.

JP :)

• Baller

I am sure that little micro Fiat at the lake in Italy with the trailer hitch occasionally pulled a ski boat. The Mini Cooper parked next to it towered over it. Of course at $8.00/gallon that mileage in the Fiat doesn't look so good - especially when towing.

My little V6 Ford Ranger 4wd tows OK (what is that funny smell coming from the clutch?). Oh wait. I don't own a trailer for my boat. But the little tractor and Ditchwitch are heavier than a boat. Just leave a lot of stopping room and try not to stop on a steep uphill.

Eric

• Baller

lkb,

I know, I feel like the 4.8 should get a touch better than that.  However, after digging around a bit I found this.

Here is what I have:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/17962.shtml

It seems to line up with my numbers fairly well.

• Baller
I pull my 05 Malibu LXi with a 2009 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with a 4.0 V6.  I just made sure it had the tow package when I bought it.  It pulls the boat just fine and I have to pull 8% 3/4 mile grade on the way to the lake.  I pull the hill at 55mph, no sweat.  That Chevy will pull just fine.  Make sure it has tow package and don't drive in overdrive when towing.  OF

• Baller

lkb,

It's kinda about how much you tow.  I have a 5.3 and everyone that I have spoken with says the 4.8 uses more gas than a 5.3.  Go figure!!  Everyday usage you'll spend more on fuel.  Of course if the purchase price is a big savings, it'll take a long time before you lose out $$ on the mileage.  If you don't have to tow very far very often it doesn't matter so much.  For the last several years I've towed about .5 mile per year, (from the garage to the lake in the spring and back in the fall) except for when I picked up my '08 196 in FL.