Carbon Pro

jedgell

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
40K is a heck of a lot better than the 50+ for one of the big three. Boat is unproven but the company is not. Fineline has been around for a while and according to the boarders they build innovative, quality stuff. I'm hoping they make it.

• Baller_
2100 lbs is extremely light.  Mid '90's boats were in the 2400# range with the light weight Gekko at 2250# and the current average seems to be right around 2800#.  That will certainly help the wake.  I will be very interested in hearing feedback on how that boat ski's.

• Baller
I was at a demo day for this boat back in November at Skyview Lake in NC.  While I didn't ski behind it; there were about 6 -7 skiers of all different levels that did.  All of them commented that, generally, that the wakes were great and the pull felt fine.  FWIW.

• Baller
Whatever it is, my guess is opinions are mixed; some might love it and some might hate it.  I want carpet in my boat, and they can keep their backboard, too.  Centurion fan though (actually still own a  mint '91, though don't run buoys w/it), so happy to see them making a run at a slalom boat.  Would like to see them take back the barefoot market that was theirs in the late 80's to early 90's as well. 

• Baller

Went to the Houston Boat show today hoping to check out a Carbon Pro, no luck.  There were only 2 direct drives in the entire show:  one Response LXi and one Moomba Outback.  And, not a single slalom ski. 

We spent more time checlking out the RV's than boats, guess I'm done with Boat Shows.

• Baller

LOS, there are only about 6 Carbon Pro's in existence according to the Centurion guys. Our booth was next to theirs and we were asking them about it too.  We(Dockside Marine) wanted to bring our 200DD but we just ran out of room having added Mastercrafts in addition to Nautiques in the last month.  Plus the 197 hadn't come in yet. For the on the water boat show in Clear Lake in a few months we'll have at least one 200DD and one 197.  If not more. We were actually surprised by the number of people coming in to ask about direct drives this year.  More than the last few years. 

• Baller
Centurion could qualify for Nationals w/ 6 boats (need one in each of the 5 regions).  Problem is, they need 6 "sold" boats - not 6 "built" boats.  There's a distinction.  In Infinity's BEST year, they sold 12 boats.  They qualified to pull Nationals for several years.  Infinity sold a grand total of 50 boats during their run.  If Centurion is serious about carving a spot in a very small niche market, they will have to offer something the other 3 do not.  Be that quality, features or most importantly, price.  At $40k (promo price), no one is going to beat down their door to buy.  At $35k, they would raise some eyebrows.  In the promo world, you're asking your member to sell a "used" boat in a difficult environment against well established competitors.  The competition has spent significant dollars creating their brand in the marketplace.  They all represent quality and offer a laundry list of features.  So that leaves price as the ONLY distiquishing factor for the Centurion promo members to offer.  Centurion would be wise to follow Malibu's business model from the 80's.  Bring a comparable product to the field at below-market price and build your following.  Then, slowly bring your pricepoint inline with your competition over a period of years.

• Baller
The rep here, or at least the one that met us out at Skyview Lake for the demo day, threw out some ball park pricing (around $35K) and said they would be working with those first dozen or so promo guys / buyers to get them in at an attractive price.

• Baller
Here is an idea... Why doesn't Centurion offer make the dealers take the boat back. This will actually promote the boat. It allows the promo person to give demo's with out the worry of doing all the leg work and have the dealer snake the sale. The promo guys will then send there local dealer leads and in return the dealer will take the boat back at an redetermined price. That will keep current year boats on the tournament lakes and there will be no dealer competition. A promo person is going to send a lead/prospective buyer to a dealer when he has the same boat he needs to sell. Centurion may may have more people stepping up then they can handle.

No carbon pro there.

There was a 2011 MC for 47k

2010 200 for 50k

LXI for 50k

They are makeing the carbon pros as fast as they can. About 1 boat per week. They will have enough out there to get qualified for nats. The boats being made are going right to the buyers so its tough for them to get them to all the boat shows going on. Most boat shows are within a few weeks time frame so it tough to get the boat out to show every where. The build quality of the surf and wake boats look pretty good. PCM engines and some quality interiors. I hope it carries to the carbon pro. 

The 2011 200s had a sign on them that said from 63k. They had a 200v but it had a tower on it that will make short line impossible. With that tower, there is no such thing as a crossover boat unless you stay at 28 off. Not sure why you would want it if you cant ski it and if your a wake boarder, you have to have a tower. it is a big engine cover to get over if you ski from the platform. The 200v had a from 67k sign on it.        

• Baller

i can by a 2011 200v with a tower FROM 95k down here. YAY!!! http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-money-mouth.gif

http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-yell.gif

• Baller

Mark,
I'm assuming the $47k MC was a 197?  It makes me wonder what someone could pick up a 190 for, after some back and forth pencil sharpening?  If the new hull for 2012 is the real deal, without too much of a price bump, that could give CC some trouble potentially?  I kind of like the new MC upholstery, as it feels like the stuff from the mid 80's, only much more durable to the touch.

It was a 197. It may be priced that way due to the 2012 hull change. Taking the 196 out of the equasion, old hulls do not have good resale. IE, 96 Nautiques, 97-2001 MC, pre diamond hull Malibus.  

I love to ski behind the current MC as long as JD or someone is driving it. It is a big cockpit.

• Baller
I talked to Zane Schwenk at the boat show and I asked him if there was a hull changed planned for 2012 and he said no. I told him I heard it some place ( I actually have from a very reliable source) that they were and he said that MC is always working on new things but nothing planned anytime soon. But you should have seen his face when I asked about the hull changed he look all surprised that I knew about it then acted like nothing was changing. Those factory reps will do anything to sell a new boat for the year and not have a loyal customer get stuck with a old hull when a new one is coming out soon. We told him we were not buying but only looking and he kept trying to get up to put down a hold payment.

• Baller
My ski partner(who's a MC and Nautique dealer) and I had dinner with a Mastercraft VP two weeks ago and heard some of what they are working on for the new hull. It's real, and interesting, but no date set. It won't be for 2012 as they'd need to have molds ready for production by May to start building boats in July.   

• Baller

My of my best ski buds has a '95 190 and it skis and drives awesome, one of my favorite boats to drive/ski.  Don't understand your issue there skibug.  The '94 is definitely an awesome boat (especially with EFI and Powerslot) but IMO the '95 is equally good, and roomier too.  Maybe I'm in the minority?

Ed