BALLERS BASH

skidawg

• Baller
Some talk going around last weekend about having a BOS "ballers bash" next fall.  Mad11 considering hosting at his super sweet site in Austin, Tx.  Big airport, easy access.  Start throwing some ideas around guys & gals.  this would be as good an event as there ever has been.  Let's get the ball rolling w/ some ideas, alternative site options, time of year etc.

• Baller

Thoughts on events and schedule Late June or July is usually good here. Or after nationals.

Saturday

Lake 1 MM Head to Head qualify during day and finals at night. Either 12 or 16 person field depending on entries (If 12 top 4 get a 1st rd bye)

Lake 2 C class slalom (possibly trick also, but takes a lot more work judging)

Sunday

Lake 1

Trick slalom

Plank Slalom

Jumper slalom

Overall winner is BOS King of the course for a year

2nd lake available all day for homeowners

Need thoughts so I can talk to the HOA and get it going.

• Supporting Member

With my crazy list of priorities, I think it very unlikely I can swing this in the foreseeable future.  But it does sound like a ton of fun, so maybe if it becomes annual I'll make it some day.

I am curious about something anyhow:  What is required to be in the MM head-to-head?  Would that really be for people threatening (or running) -39, or would it include the pack of us who run -35 a lot and are struggling at -38?

• Baller
To get into the main event head to head you would have to be one of the top qualifiers just like a BD event. I'm anticipating a cash payout so that would be straight forward. Any mens 3,4, 5 or 6 could ski the tournament and try to qualify. Possibly also have an alternate under the lights head to head that is handicapped for non main event qualifiers who bid to get in. Just thinking out loud. They did this at lakes of Katy this year. If we keep the main event to 12 will have a little more time for an alternate head to head. Would be a late night, but sure we would all be up late anyway doing something. Not sure you are allowed to compete in any of the Sunday events without a hangover.

• Administrators
Than asks an interesting q. BOS has a lot of MM readers but I want to make sure we are as inclusive as possible. Perhaps the head 2 head is the highest ranked 16. If it fills with MM guys great - otherwise you and Ward get to thrash guys like me and Than.

• Supporting Member

Yeah, it seems like it would be fun if the best scores from "the pack" can squeak into the finals and then get smoked by the top seeds in the first round of head-to-head.  That way just getting INTO the head-to-head is kind of a win relative to that group of skiers, and the elite folks can focus on trying to actually win the head-to-head.

Also, this is *almost* a bye for the top few, since it seems likely that the #1 seed is going to be a full pass or more ahead of the #16 seed.  So that's an added incentive for the top guys to post good scores in the qualifying, so they can get a near-bye in the first round of head-to-head.

No need to "coddle" the wanna-bes, though.  If the most reasonable head-to-head format is to start at -32 or -35, then don't worry about that being a stretch for the 100-buoy crowd.  It's not like one of us is going to win anyhow!

• Administrators

I am a little sensitive about the possible perception that this is an elitist event. I am thrilled & honored every time it meet a Baller that is a better skier than me. More importantly, I want the site to encourage skiers of all levels. I know that Marc was not being elitist but I just want to make sure that no one thinks BallOfSpray is a closed club. If I have to persaonlly install a Mini-Course, I will.

• Administrators

Marc,

What Badal does at the ProAm, is have 2 rounds for everyone and then takes the highest ave scores handicapped from USAWS average for the head to head.  

• Baller

I would absolutely love to cruise down to Austin for this event, but being that summer is so incredibly short up here in Mantana, I'd like to see the event in the middle of Roctober.  Otherwise, I'd probably be more interested in going to Jodi Fisher's or Bennett's.  We have one more week of skiing left if we're lucky.  Last year it snowed on October 8 and it stayed until frickin' May!

For what it's worth I'm an absolute duffer.  I just skied a PB of 15 off at 32mph today.  Woohoo!  But I'm willing to go arse over tea kettle for someone's amusement. 

Are half shirts out of step these days?  I thought they had made a comeback!  Maybe that's my raw table muscle.

JP :)

• Baller

Jipster, you outta go to INT Nationals in Flo-rydah then.  It's in mid October...  Which makes it damn near impossible for anyone from Kansas north to stay in top skiing condition going into that time frame due to the wind and temperatures (mostly wind this year).  From late Sept on it's pretty hit and miss, and generally more miss than hit unfortunately.  Jac - move the damn thing up about 3 weeks please and you'll get more of us northeners to attend.

Ed

• Baller

Requested dates for the lake either Sept 3-4 or Sept 10-11 for the Ballers Bash. If all goes well, warm up the BOS jet and aim it towards Austin. Three round slalom Sat and a handicapped head to head on Sunday designed in the spirit of the EZFT challenge. Fun for all. Top 16 skiers in the head to head will be seeded from their 3 qualifying rounds vs. their USA waterski average. This is for all BOS loyals and lurkers. Additional events will be added for Sunday. We will make them up as we go.

• Administrators

I am a little unsure about my role in this. Do show up and ski or do I need Marc to build me a platform over the dock so I can look down on my minions and drink scotch all day?  If I sit on the platform, do I wear a cape and top hat? Crown and a scepter? Thong? Wife beater and tightie whities?http://www.samlitzinger.com/images/homer_on_chair_xax0.bmp

http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/I%20am%20a%20little%20unsure%20about%20my%20role%20in%20this.%20Do%20show%20up%20and%20ski%20or%20do%20I%20need%20Marc%20to%20build%20me%20a%20platform%20over%20the%20dock%20so%20I%20can%20look%20at%20my%20minions%20and%20drink%20scotch%20all%20day? If I sit on the platform, do I wear a cape and top hat? Crown and a scepter? Thong?

• Baller

All of the above are required plus you must ski. Must have multiple outfits for each round. Scotch, absolutely. Drink enough and we may give you the top seed no matter how you score.

My only concern is Shane keeps asking for an all mens thong slalom. I told him this is the Ball of Spray Ballers Bash tournament but that their not actually supposed to get sprayed or bashed