The use of "DEEP" - definition and when is it appropriate?

skibug

• Baller

This is the use of the adjective definition as it relates to slalom skiing - e : occurring or located near the outer limits of the playing area <hit to deep right field>

This is just meant to be a fun and personal interest topic.  Before anyone slams me on this one I will qualify my comment by saying I have never used the word "DEEP" to describe my progress in terms of line lengths and buoy count.  I have skied a PPB with 1@35 / 34 mph.  I consider myself quite the accomplished walley / hacker when it comes to skiing, which is not saying much.  It is not menat to offend anyone that uses the word "DEEP" in the way described below.  I was just wondering what all of the short line skiers think when they see the term used this way.

I never felt the use of the word "DEEP" at longer line lengths was appropriate (PERSONAL OPINION).  I have mental block and a physical choke if I even think of using it as a way to describe my set (e.g. "i got DEEP into 28').  Analogus to baseball, if running 38' off is a home run; then 28' off is like a blooper.  Analogus to football, a deep bomb = 38' off would be something on the order of 50 - 60 yards or more.  A 15 yard pass would not be called "DEEP".

So, what is the appropriate line length to start using this term.....my personal opinion is 35' off and deep would be past 4.5 balls.

Again, just for fun and no offense intended.

I would agree with Shane. I also hate the thought of anything that might belittle anothers attemps or aspirations. I hope that anyone who is working on a particular line length/speed could always be proud of their Personal accomplishments and Goals and express their status anyway that feels Good. I don't feel that their efforts should ever be looked at or classified or otherwise "Judged" as "a blooper" and/or insignificant... If "Deep 22/30mph" is actually deep for that person on that pass. -Rejoice!  

IMO, This sport is Hard enuf in every area and on every level to willingly help anyone feel that their Best efforts are unworthy or less then appreciated...

For some, just getting out on the water is a Long Bomb or a HR, every time! -I can relate!!!   

• Supporting Member

I think I'm sorta consistent in applying the following terms to the following ranges: 

0.25 to 2: "into"

2.25 to 3: "mid"

3.25 to 5.5: "deep"

6: "ran"

These usually only apply to a relatively good score -- i.e. the skier got reasonably close to potential.  So for a guy who's best is a deep -28, 1.5 @ -28 would be called "got into -28."  But for a guy who starts off the dock at -28, that would just be a poor round, and so none of the above terms would be used.

Every so often I might find myself referring to "3" as deep, especially if that skier has been really stuck at 1-2, which is fairly common when learning a new line lengths.

• Supporting Member

that's pretty good ral.  I may have to steal that.

Totally random note: Everyone called my paternal grandfather R.A.L. -- including his children.  Stood for Ralph Alcot Lester.  He was a bit of a hard-living fellow, and died before I was born, but was moderately famous as one of the founders of the Greyhound Bus Company.  I keep thinking of him when I see "ral."