Handle slapping ski, major damage, help

bxroads

I've posted these pics in a "ski repair" thread but I need to fix what's causing the problem (probably me).  Today the tip of the ski (Radar Senate C) took another slap but this time on the other side.  The below pictures is only one side of the ski but now the other side looks just like it, probably worse.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if the next slap takes the tip of the ski completely off.  Today I actually saw and heard the handle hit the tip so I know without a doubt what is causing it.   It happens when I'm completing the turn, the line loads, and I can't hold it.    I know ultimately I need to learn to whip the handle in such situations.  That said......

The handle is a straight masterline with end caps which are still in good shape.  Is there any other type of handle that may not cause as much damage?

Should the ski be this fragile?  It seems to have major damage each time the handle hits it.

Any tips to keep this from happening? 

Thanks in advance and be sure not to lend me your ski!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/5040600544_45acfc5dfb_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5039979963_3b8904218a_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/5040600544_45acfc5dfb_b.jpg

• Baller

We might be able to build a ski that would be impervious to this kind of hit but it would need to have it's own life vest. Handles have snapped back and broken mirrors in the towboat, cracked skulls and fiberglass transoms and I once saw a jumper trying to ride one out and failing to do so, popped the handle and it flew forward and stuck into the cowling of the outboard motor. You may be getting real deep in the turn or overturning the ski and can't handle the angle you're getting and the boat is just too strong when you are in that position. I'm not sure that's what's happening but it sounds like you may need to be a little more patient in the turn and get your ski under the rope and in between you and the boat before you lean on the handle.You also might want to think about letting go of the handle as opposed to having it jerked out of your hands. Any of this make sense?

• Baller
Don't let Eddie discourage you. If you are hell bent on taking the tip off that ski, hang on and let the handle rip. You don't really use the tip for anything. Also, don't let the boat win that tug of war. You are much stronger than a 340 hp V8 with a 4 blade prop. Just hang on a bit longer or try clenchers.

• Baller

Hey bxroads, I used to do that a lot, not much fun whern you have spent much wonga on a brand new ski, stand up through to the finish of the turn, it won,t happen again, best bit of advice I ever got.

"The moment you edge change that is the finish of your turn"  just ride the ski and hook up at the end. 

Eddie, I ski the 67.  There's a used one for sale here, one of the 2008 early pre-production skis with the MPD bottom.  I just can't warm up to buying a used ski that I haven't seen, though I'm sure its good to go.   There's another for sale at ski-it-again for $220 shipped but its 2" to long.

• Baller

You can fix just about anything with JB Weld. I have popped the front off a couple skis, including Senate C, but from a deepwater start gone bad. Hauling 250 lbs out of the water in double boots probably hits the load cell pretty hard.

I would patch it or leave it alone, and wait for the 2011 Senate C. Major overhaul. Will probably turn better with tip out of the water, especially if you are a stay back skier.

• Baller
The MPD bottom graphic actually was production for the first year when we decided to add the C to the line. Dave - you are funny. BX - he is obviously being facetious but that's the way Horton says he skis. Hey - maybe we can build a whole ski out of JB Weld. Bite off more than you can chew - then chew like hell!

Don't let Eddie discourage you. If you are hell bent on taking the tip off that ski, hang on and let the handle rip. You don't really use the tip for anything. Also, don't let the boat win that tug of war. You are much stronger than a 340 hp V8 with a 4 blade prop. Just hang on a bit longer or try clenchers.

Ah, thats funny.