Off season (orthopedic) rebuild...

behindpropellers

• Baller

Anybody getting anything fixed in the off season? I just got my left shoulder repaired for a second time.

They repaired my labrum, reattached a lot of muscles, and tightened the ligaments. I have (had) a very loose shoulder that would dislocate easy. Its been 10 days now, pain is pretty much gone, and I am off of meds. Doc wants me in a sling for 4 weeks to let everything scar up before rehab. Its going to be a long wait for the next 2 weeks or so...muscle is melting away. Tired of this sling!!!!

Tim

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
My brother has had that surgery twice...ran a pile of 38's this year...so not slowing him down!  He thought he was headed for another revision, but he feels changing style to being lighter seems to have helped his shoulder as well as his ZO scores...he ran 39 for the first time this year at age 47.

• Baller

I'm getting my right shoulder done next week.  Dislocated it in a sliding fall at the buoy a month ago today, tore my rotator cuff, labrum, broke my humorus, and tore my glenohumoral ligaments.  6-8 weeks in a sling, and my ortho said I won't be back to skiing for 9 months, which seems to be about 3 months longer than normal.  I'm really not looking forward to it, as I am (was) right handed, and spent all last winter rehabbing a different injury.

Oh yeah, getting a ingunal hernia fixed at the same time.  Skied with it all summer but it got bad at the end.  Might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.  You're right, it is going to be a looong winterhttp://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-frown.gif

• Baller

Hey Marco,

Re: your hernia...I took Laz's advice here (search "hernia"), and am glad I did. I found a qualified surgeon to perform the repair laparoscopically, and the recovery was far faster and better then when done w/ a traditional scalpel repair (of which I have had done on the other side). I still have an umbilical hernia that needs repair (consult scheduled for next week).

Good luck w/ your healing guys.

• Baller
Thanks Dave- I am getting the hernia done laproscopically, and they said the initial rehab where I can get around pretty good is only a few days.  The shoulder is another story.  Orthoscopic for the upper repairs, but the ligament repair is too close to a nerve, so they have to slice me for that one, so I get the best of both worlds.  Good luck with your umbilical repair as well.

Well Crap, I might as well jump in here. Like a total Jack ass, I fell off a Ladder 2 wks. ago today and I'm scheduled for surgery on the 15th. I tore my Rotator in 2 places, tore the Labrum @ the bycep attachment, separated the shoulder and some other Groovy stuff.

It's my Rt. (dominate) side. So, I'll be learning how to do things with my Left hand that I've never even attempted B4! -Oh crap!http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-surprised.gif

Ya, 4 wks. of a sling and 3-4 mon's of P.T. I'm already getting Mental, depressed and aggrivated. (kinda turning Bi-Polar on myself) I even Mauled our Fax machine yesterday and then put it out to the trash... -woops!http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-laughing.gif I hope my wife doesn't break out her stun-gun!

• Baller
While we are comparing scars. I tore my bicep jumping and had distal bicep surgery in June. Missed the whole tournament season. Good news is since I started skiing again in September I cant slalom yet so I am learning to trick, at 48 years old. Hey its never too late right. I am almost up to 500 points now

• Baller

In my case, I had a total dislocation, where my humorus was sticking straight out to the side, but noticably lower than where the shoulder joint should be.  I could not move it.  Went to the ER where they x-rayed to confirm the dislocation before they reduced it.

As far as diagnosing the damage the dislocation caused, I went to my orthopedic surgeon, who took further x-rays, and then ordered an MRI, which showed the damage in glorious detail.  An MRI is the best way to diagnose problems with tendons and ligaments.

• Baller

DW,

For my labral tear w/small rotator cuff tear (June 2009); it was an MRI and a highly regarded orthopedic shoulder expert that understands athletes.  Had the surgery and fully recovered.

Do your homework, ask for references, do internet searches, read up on where they did there fellowship or internship, etc.  Every major city is going to have highly qualified orthopedic doctors; you just have to find right one for what you need.  Rehab, no matter the diagnosis and remedy, like you life depends on it. 

• Baller

D/L mine when I was 17...barefooting fell way outside the wake showing off one footing holding on with one hand. I never got the correct treatment then (young and stupid). Used to pop out while I was sleeping. Doc fixed the Labrum when I was 21 or so. Did PT then. When I was 23 a girl fell on me in a pyramid and popped it out. From that point it was unstable. I never learned how to make it strong from that point on. Last fall I saw the doc after another dislocation. He set me up with some very good PTs that normally rehab football and baseball players. Doc wanted to see if I could get it stable with muscle. Did the rehab and got it strong. Stronger internal and external rotation-wise than my right. In june I was leaning over the back of my pontoon to get some pictures and it fell out (not making any muscle). Took ER 5 trys before it would not D/L. I think the muscles were making it D/L in the ER. At that point I went to the doc and said time to cut. After a few weeks of aggressive rehab I skied all summer injury free. 

My biggest mistake was never learning how to get it really strong a long time ago. My PT from surgery #1 was pretty light and not with an expert.

Tim

DW, if I did not have a little knowledge of Rot. cuff injuries and the Long term problems assoc. with inadequate treatments, I surely would have toughed this out for a while or maybe even completely... I've been in worse pain by far.

But, what I've got is very debilitating and extensive. It would probably never get good enuf to carry on like I am used to. So, Rather then chance it, I elected to go see Burton Elrod who is the Ortho for the TN. Titans and he fully knows atheletes! -He even went to Sammy Duvall's and skied B4!!!  

• Baller

I had cervical spine surgery a few weeks ago,so my off season will most likely last through our entire summer next year.Oh well,sure beats my alternatives.I'm sure glad we are in the age of the internet,that way I get to go for ski rides when ever you guys post em on this sight.

Tore my rotator cuff, etc. in 2001.  First orthopedist (worked with professional & college athletes) did an MRI without dye and didn't see the torn ligaments.  Decided I had bursitis and gave me cortizone shot & PT.  Pain returned within a month.  More cortizone & PT.  After several months of that nonsense I finally went for a 2nd opinion (doc also worked with professional athletes).  Did another MRI-this time WITH dye-and scheduled me for surgery.

Second doctor did a great job on the repair, but he treated me like I was the LEAST important patient in his practice.  Just one example:  he didn't even bother to show up for my pre-op appointment.  Let one of his Fellows do it unsupervised.  He and the nurse kept saying the doctor would be in later, then they finally sent me home--totally unprepared...

Almost 2 years after surgery (and intense PT) before I felt strong skiing again.  The most depressing time of my life.

My point:  when in ANY doubt get a second opinion.  Get all the info you can on the doctor. 

• Members
Wow, guess I'm not alone. Had a slap tear and bankart repair with microfracture repair to left shoulder 1 week ago myself. Didn't think I'd feel as good as I do after only 7 days. Not sure if I will be as excited to ski next year due to fear of re-injury, only time and alot of PT will tell.

Great point GailH... 

Rawly, Man, that's a big time out! Sorry to hear that...

Everyone, please keep this thread alive with your healing progress!

acmx, that sounds encouraging after 1 wk.! Keep us posted, I'm going in, in 11 days. -Hope I'm feelin' Oh, so much betta aft. a wk.!

Adding to this...

I am having rotator cuff repair work in 2 weeks.  I ripped one of the tendons and another is half torn.  I had the MRI with dye a few weeks ago.  I was told 3-4 months before I could play tennis again, and 6 months before skiing.  ARGH!  My husband and son are threatening to move me out as I will be impossible to live with if I can't ski!!!!!!  I tried to get in with a waterskiing orthapedic guy, but he was booked until mid-December.

I got in one last set a week ago - and it was a good one. 

I am so bummed.......

• Baller

I am going under the knife early tomorrow morning for my shoulder/hernia.  I won't be posting much for awhile, but I'll be lurking.  Keep it interesting guys, as I am going to need the distraction.

Good luck to all of you and rehab well!

Back @ ya Marco! -hope all goes well for you. Keep us posted on your weekly progress.

I'll be all fixed up or something'd up by this time next Monday. Can't wait to test drive my left arm and hand! i.e. Brushing teeth, drinking, eating, wiping -ah crap, this is going to be interesting... to much info?http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-laughing.gif

• Baller
I will attest, since I lost use of my right arm as well when i got my shoulder done last year, wiping left handed was a whole new experiment....I mean experience.....eventually when you are able to go back to the right hand....ahhhh!!!  its like going home again....

• Baller

Iv'e been practicing using my left hand predominently for the last month since my injury.  Nothing feels normal yet, writing is nearly impossible, and I have no idea how I am going to deal like that for the 8 weeks I am in a sling.

Skibug, how long was it before your right hand was useful again?

• Baller
I was able to write after about a week, just had to leave the arm in the sling/immobilizer and position the paper on my lap or on a lower table so i could rest my arm.  it still took more effort to write.  I could type on the computer by putting the keyboard on my lap.

• Baller

Marco-

Writing with your left hand won't be bad. Its the sweat and itch that builds up in the sling'd shoulder. Spray deodorant and air compressor with the blow attachment gives some relief http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-laughing.gif

• Baller
You know, reading this makes me glad I don't have the experience some people have. This makes knee surgery not seem so bad, except that later in life when you ski in cold water all the 'itis makes it feel stiff later in the day.

• Baller

Just follow the rehab plan and don't push ahead of it.  I've had four shoulder surgeries, both knees, and a biceps tendon repair.  The most recent two were the left biceps tendon and the right shoulder labrum (80% detached).  Same surgeon both times.  Tells me I better rethink my activities.  I tell him I'll follow the rehab, and keep skiing until he tells me I can't be fixed.  Good news!  Followed the rehab both times and have continued to increase my buoy count throughout.  Frustrating to not be able to ski (the biceps tear happened in April, lost a whole season), but worth it.

MOVED FROM "1st cut" thread:

Quote: Dawg79.  Hope yours went well.  I'm 8 days post op and things are so much better than the first few days.  Can't wait to be able to start the PT in earnest, although I know I'll be questioning my sanity later for uttering those words.  Maybe I should save some pain killers for PT.

Now if I could only get some sleep...... end quote

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marco,

Lordy, Lordy I hear ya! I thought about you these last couple of days. -wondering how you were getting along. Glad to hear your moving fwd... My 1st couple of days were insane... I didn't sleep but about 4-6 hrs. total from Monday morn til Thursday Morn. I had a Horrible time with the Anesthesia and quit the Oxycodone after the 1st night. I'm taking minimal Lortab now and got a script for Ambien yesterday. I actually got 2 hrs @ a time last night for about 6 total hrs.! -YEAH!!!

Spent yesterday back @ the Hospital. I had some funky swelling and Charlie Horse stuff going on in the Lower legs. They wanted to make sure I didn't have any Clots going on...

Today was my break out day; I took my 1st shower and finally sat upon thy throne...http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cool.gif 

I start passive Rehab on Monday. (I hope "Passive" is fancy for Wussy...)

• Baller

I feel your pain.  The day after surgery, when my block wore off, the pain was so intense it felt like they were still cutting on me without pain meds.  The percocet didn't touch it, so they prescribed dulaudid.  Magical!  That killed the worst of it and got me through the first week.  Pretty much off meds now, except at night to help sleep.

tried my first night of sleep in a bed last night.  Got 2 wedge pillows and propped up against them.  Worked pretty well...got 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep before i had to get up and move around.

Careful about the clots.  They can kill you if your'e not careful (speaking from experience here).  Get on short term blood thinners if there is any question.

Good luck with your rehab!!

4 hrs. of UN-interrupted sleep! -and in a real Bed?  

Man, that sounds like a fantasy. I have an empty sleep # Bed dialed in to my favorite # just sitting there collecting dust... (well, my side of the Bed anyway. my wife sleeps great after wearing herself out everyday catering after me.) -this will cost me BIG at a later date i'm sure... 

I hate to admit it, but thanx to the clot scare, I'm now sporting some sexy Black knee highs! -this probably won't help my "Ambiguous image" much...

Wedge pillows, -sounds like a great idea! I checky Wal Mart tomorrow. 

What happened to Behindpropellers???

O.K. my 1wk. Report...

My left hand is becoming quite the Team player. (prior to this surgery my left hand mostly just watched from the sidelines like a 2nd string water boy, as the all-star rt. hand got all the action.)

After the first 2 days w/o food, my mother in-Law brought over some very tasty Turkey Soup. There I was, starving, my Star pitcher braced up and out of the Game, balancing a giant bowl of Really Hot soup in my lap while sitting in my recliner. It didn't take very long to wonder if this was some kind of cruel joke. Left handed, it took me some 35 minutes to finish! -it was like eating with a fork... With the rookie relief pitcher in, it was like to the Moon and back from my lap to my lips. -should have worn a Pancho...

Thanks to the anesthesia and pain meds it wasn't until the 4th day that my left hand had to be put to a real concerning test again. Seriously, all I can say is thank God for Baby wipes! Acting as training wheels, (with a much larger sweet spot and reinforced moistened fibers) the wipes performed flawlessly... 

Haven't had too much rest this past wk. nor have I been of much use to my wife. I should probably shave soon and take another shower, I'm starting to look as though I've found new residency under a down town bridge...

Wait a minute... It's Monday, Oh ya, today I go back for my post op and then off to PT!

Yes!   Road Trip!!! -I've got people to do and things to see!!!

I'll finish up the 1 wk. report aft. my Road trip...     

• Baller

Dawg-If WalMart doesn't have the wedge pillows, look for them at Bed Bath& Beyond.  Also, a medical supply store should have them as well.

Going to my first post op as well... after almost 2 weeks.  Hopefully we both get a good report.

Road trip sucked...http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-frown.gif

Found out that my injuries are 2-3 times more complex and extensive then a typical Rotator cuff tear. I torn the entire front (anterior) section of the cuff completely off of the Bone, torn another section (lateral) in half, (complete tear) detached and displaced the Bycept from the Labrum, from shoulder being violently dislocated and dropped down out of socket...

I'm in a braced sling 24/7 for at least 6 wks. wont even be allowed to lift a coffee cup until after the 10 wk. mark at the earliest. At this point it is very unclear as to my prognosis. The Ortho said he did all he could do to try and save the Bycept. But, may have to go back in @ a later date and do more for it... PT wasn't too sure that I would ever ski again. (Stupid PT!)

Got a DVD of the complete procedure through the lense of the Ortho scopic camera!   Dude! this ain't for the faint of Heart. -it's the whole enchilada Baby!!!

Marco, Wal-Mart was negative. I'll try BB&B next. Thanx!

h2odawg's Life is getting More AMBIGUOUS all the time... http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-undecided.gif 

• Baller

Sorry to hear about the bad report.  I can certainly relate.  Completely torn rotator cuff, torn (detached) labrum, torn bicecps tendon, torn glenohumoral ligament, and a bankhart fracture (broken ball at the top of the humorous).  That explains the 5 hour surgery.  My doc did say I could ski again, after 9 months, so all is not lost.

The dvd sounds cool.  I only saw photographs.

Hang in there!

• Baller

Dawg & Marco,

15 years ago I had the complete upper 2/3rds of the rotor cuff in my left shoulder torn from the bone in an OTF crash that badly dislocated the shoulder.  Can't list everything that was displaced but if it attached to the upper 2/3 of the bone it was torn lose.  I had surgery in early September to reattach everything, began skiing again the following mid-April.  Gingerly at first but as the season wore on and I got stronger I went on to set a new PB and have continued to improve ever since.

My point is that while both your injuries are serious and it sucks to have to go through the surgery and rehab, there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel.  Believe me, I feel for you both.  If you're focused and determined to get back you can and will get back.  It will SUCK but it is doable.  For whatever reason they weren't able to save the upper bicep tendon but since it only handles something like 15% of the load not having it isn't a big issue (John Elway won a Superbowl missing the upper bicep tendon in his throwing arm - Google it).  I really don't know the difference stregth wise.

Rehab like you mean it, don't lose faith, stay focused, you'll get back.  If I could do it you'll most certainly do it.

Best Wishes, Ed

• Members

Dawg and Marco,

Sorry to hear about your rough trip so far. I had a little more damage in my shoulder (cartilage missing) than the labrum slap tear and bankart tear found on the MRI initially showed. But am now a few days away from getting out of the sling YEAH!!! So far my rehab has been pretty easy except for this week, PT was going for a little more range of motion as prescribed by Ortho Doc's protocol; OOOUCH!!! Dawg, didn't they send you home from surgery with the support hose from the knee down? Anyway, hang in there guys it gets better!

Marco, 5 hrs. of surgery? -Wow! Now that's a Big Deal for sure... (just the being under for extended periods of time is very tough on the body alone. But, also is a good indicator of the complexity and severity) Hang in there Man! -I will if you will! Thanx for your help and encouragement.  Blessings to you and the journey ahead...

These threads can be very uplifting and beneficial for sure. I think for the most part in Life, regardless of your current situation or circumstances, if you Look around, the room is usually filled with three types of people;

#1. "Those who have been there"

#2. "those who are there right now"

#3. and "those who about to be there"...

THANX ED and  ACMX for your wisdom and encouragement. -Golden!

ACMX; No, unfortunately I wasn't sent hm. with any Support Hose. In retrospect, I should have atleast added these myself. Especially considering all the time spent laying  and SITTING acwardly in the recliner. Surely, cutting off good blood flow to the Lower legs... 

• Baller

Ed- Thanks for the encouragement.  My ortho told me the same thing about the bicep tendon.  He said that in people over 40, saving the upper part of the tendon is not practical, and went on to say that even an NFL quarterback doesn't need it, only althletes such as major league pitchers need the full tendon to perform.

Acmx- Congrats on getting out of the sling soon.  How long were you in it?  I'm counting the days (weeks actually) too.

Dawg79-  I hope you are out of the woods as far as clots go!  A clot problem could make shoulder surgery seem minor comparatively speaking.

My 5 hours of surgery was just the shoulder part.  I had another hour repairing a hernia, so I was under for 6 hours total (talk about being beat up).  That was the last good sleep I had.  I am starting very light PT next week to help with some range of motion issues.  Normally, my ortho would want the shoulder to rest for 6 weeks before PT, but he said I'm a bit too tight and need to get working on it sooner.  Let the pain begin...........again.

• Members

Marco,

I was in the sling 4 weeks and started passive pt 4 days after surgery, 1 time/week. I'm kinda surprised your Doc. wants your arm to rest that long, I'd think that baby will be as stiff as your ski in 6 weeks. During last weeks PT visit (#4), he took my arm past 90 degrees and it took some effort and caused the most PT pain so far! Shoulda took a pain pill before that visit.

My arm will be a the sling 24/7 for 6 wks. min. and I'm already doing PT 3 x wk. The movements are ridiculously small. But she also does Hot/ Cold therapy, ems (tens) and some massage to free up the Rt. scapular region, so my arm can move the very small range that is allowed right now... -I feel like a 90 yr, old invalid right now.

• Baller

I'm still alive.

5 weeks out two days ago. One week out of the sling. I have not started rehab because my two should rehab guys retired so I am looking for a good shoulder person close to where I work. I was driving 45 mins to rehab and then 45 mins home. 

I spent 3 days at the inlaws this weekend. They have a hot tub and I sat in that many hours out of the past three days and worked on getting moving again. It was great moving it in the hot tub since it was essentially zero gravity. 

My repair was a bankart repair and capsular shift. Surgery time was about 4 hours for mine.

Tim

• Baller
It's been 12 years, but had a c6-7 micro-discectomy (no fusion) in the winter as a result of late summer barefooting injury.  Was back to skiing and heavy gym work by spring.  Unfortunately based on gym performance at present, I have a sneaking suspicion my right distal biceps tendon is not long for the world.  Has bugged me before, but I can't even do light curls w/out pain at the insertion right now.  Historically I could do some seriously heavy curls.  Almost would be better to blow the tendon now than in spring skiing and lose the season.  Maybe keep my fingers crossed and hope like hell it doesn't actually blow. 

I am happy to say that as of last Wed. I am finally out of the imobilizing sling. (that's about a wk. or so early) PT will now be working on stretching and increasing passive range of motion.

I can hardly move my elbow in/out or up/dn. at all right now. I'll be in the ROM only phase for the next 5 wks. with No strengthening and conditioning. Doc Elrod say's that I should begin strengthening/cond. after that and hopefully will see the Water again by April or May.

Very impressed with Elrod. Even though I'm a nobody, he still treats me like a Pro athlete. (very professional and personable.) He seems to give me and all of my questions his full and undivided attn. and really makes me feel as though I were his only patient.   

• Baller

I'm about the same point in recovery as h2odawg, as our surgeries were within a week of each other.  The main difference is my ortho says I won't be back on the water until August.  The amount of damage that was repaired was substantial, hence the longer recovery.  I am hoping to beat that timeline by a couple of months.  I was planning on skiing Nats this year with my daughter, who is really excited that she is qualified (currently), but i may be watching from the shoreline if I can't get back on the water early enough to get back in the swing.

On the bright side, I am getting very good using my left hand, and am becoming more ambidextreious (sp?) every day.

Safe and Happy Holidays to all you Ballers out there!!

• Baller

I'm pushing 9 weeks since my surgery now.

My elbow also hurts from not moving it, actually more than my shoulder.

PT is going good and I am starting to get some ROM back. My PT is calling the doc this week to see if we can move away from passive therapy.

Overall, its feeling great. I'm anxious to start putting muscle on since I am starting to use it again.

Tim

Marco, Propellers,

It's great to hear your still hangin' in!  It's Hell when ya can't even change a flat tire, start the leave blower or put on a shirt with any authority!

How's the view when you Guys look in the mirror shirtless? -I Look like a freak! No rt. Deltoid with someone elses arm... (it could certainly be worse! but I still look stupid...)

Wonder how ACMX is? 

• Members
Dawg, I cracked up when I read your mirror description, when I first got out of the sling my arm hung straight down with no gap between my body; looked very wierd. I'm a little over 7 weeks from surgery, working on assisted range of motion and starting to add therapy bands for strength. Arm straight overhead has been the most difficult ROM for me but is slowly getting there. It's unbelievable how much strength I lost in just 4 weeks in the sling. At least i can get dressed without any issues including SHOES!

• Baller
A buddy of mine blew his rotator cuff and all the bits and pieces while snowboarding a couple of winters ago. He was 52 at the time and required surgery, but he didn't miss a turn with the help of a Goode Powervest. He also claims his repaired shoulder is better than his other shoulder and he won't be wearing the PV this coming summer. Good luck with the recovery fellas. JP :)

• Baller

Hey @H20dawg 79, @ACMX, @Behind propellers. Are you guys still out there? I haven't seen you post much since the first of the year and am wondering how your rehab is going. For me, I'm 5 1/2 months post op, and have been working with light weights (5lbs) for the last month. Ortho says I am right on track, but still says it will be August before I can get back to shortline skiing. (He dindn't say anything about -28's though).

I've been lurking most of the winter myself, as it has been hard to get enthusiastic about skiing (and posting) since my season will start so late. Hope you guys will be getting on the water sooner than me.