Moving to Boston, Ma. HELP we need somewhere to ski.

Ali

• Baller

Hi

Moving to Boston at the end of March next year, myself and my wife are looking for somewhere to ski. We are addicts and ski every weekend in the season (May to September) here in France. Currently we ski at a club on a public lake 2 hours from Paris.

We both ski in slalom, I can run the odd 13m (32 off) and my wife runs 15off/26. I am happy to drive and can coach a bit. Ideally private lake would be best but we are used to the public lake early mornings and late evenings here.

Please get in touch either here or via mail to 

gmail dot com  alistairksmith

cheers

Ali

• Baller
The closest place I know of is Lake Cochituate in Natick/Framingham. Unfortunately the boat ramp is utterly terrible, and you're at the mercy of the water level to get your boat through the tunnel to get to the course. Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester is another option (go to the south launch off of Route 20 for the course), but it's never really calm out there. I think there's a club way out in Oakham too, but I'm not sure on that, and there are a few odd lakes up in New Hampshire which are at least an hour away. There isn't much in terms of private lakes that I know of, definitely no man made ones. You might try looking up the INT coordinator for New England for more info.

• Baller

dleenhouts

My wife will be working at Natick, I am sure she would love to ski next to the office.

I should have added that we would need somewhere with a club boat as we wont have our own boat.

cheers

Ali

• Baller

Ali

I am in Shrewsbury (next to Worcester, MA) and live on lake Quinsigamond referenced above. I am "sort of" the slalom course "manager" and we have  a group of skiers that numbers about 10 - 12. It is a public lake so no guaranted conditions, but you are welcome to come and ski.  "Chef23" and "Than" ski in Natick as far as I know and they may have some info about lake Cochituate there.  Feel free to contact me if you wish.   rui at townisp dot com

regards

Rui   

• Baller

Ali,

I live on and ski at Cochituate. There is a small group of slalom skiers and we have a couple of courses. Cochituate is public water and the above comments about the launching ramp and small tunnel are accurate. A Response LXI will go through most of the time but I don't think a SN 200 would go through on a regular basis. One of the courses is in a cove so you can get decent water at times but we can't control all the yahoos. There is no private water in the metro-west area that you can buy a house on. There is a site in Oakham that is mentioned above but it is private with no additional housing sites on it.

I'll send you an email and will be happy to answer any questions you might have. I grew up in the area and am very familiar with it.

Mark Shaffer

• Baller_

There is also Dube's Pond in the general Boston area. It is a private site and skis pretty well. You can look up the contact information in the Eastern Region Tournament Guide. No homesites there that I am aware of. The Abenaki Ski Club is located in Wolfboro NH with a semi private site. Again check the Guide. http://www.awsaeast.org/

Hi Rui! Hope all is well.

John Wilkins

Lpskier

• Baller
The Marlboro site is Ft. Meadows. Ft. Meadows is public water but the site the course on might as well be private as there is no way to get a boat on it because it is separated from the main lake and there is no launching ramp. It is a nice little site that runs an INT event in June.

• Baller

Yes I skied there last year and one guy owns the lake. There are a couple of other houses on the lake but I believe the same guy owns the whole lake. It isn't a traditional ski lake it is an old mill pond although it is very well protected. The water is cold for the area because of how much water goes through the pond. Plymouth is about 40 minutes south of Boston.

I know the owner but I don't think I have contact information for him.

• Baller

Ali

If you ever miss being around french speaking skiers you can drive 5 hours north and come ski with me in Québec.

Got an extra room for the week end if you don't mind dogs hair!!!

Salut!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Salut André

C'est trop gentil. Nous avons toujours fait du ski "en français", c'était seulement sur les forums que j'ai compris que le palonnier était handle!

I usually need hair of the dog http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-smile.gif rather than dog hair.

Ali

• Baller

Definitely ski the local tournaments, INT and USA Waterski.  They are a great way to meet other skiers and I'm sure you can find something that makes sense.  Dubes has a 3 round in late June and late August- my home site and it skis great.  Wolfeboro has 4 per summer, June to September.  I don't know the INT schedule but there are a couple sites in Mass now, the site in Plymouth is very nice from what I hear.  Truly private water is tough to come by, but there are a number of courses in Mass and NH.   -  Brian -   skidecker at gmail dot com