Snow skiing Vs Slalom skiing (same or different)

apodawil

• Baller

No similarity at all!

I just got my first waterski day of the year (80F air, 68F water and glass - pretty nice). I've been snow skiing a ton. That has left me in reasonably good shape and with my balance skills honed. I spent some (too much) time on groomers trying to feel all those crossover similarities. Also I got lots of powder with similar soft resistance.

Nothing was close. I skied OK - but I usually do on the first run of the year. But I was physically spent. Not just the arms but the whole core. Surprising for how fit I felt.

Another surprise was how much less involved my feet had to be. In snow skiing I move my feet to resist the forces and line up my balance. In waterskiing I actually shift the position of my core using some feet but more pull from the boat. The feet also feel much more pressure on snow skis (relatively) than on a slalom ski - especially when edging.

Regarding knees, in bumps I actively suck up my knees. Waterskiing, I am pushing with my knees to avoid collapsing against the rope load.

The only thing that snow skiing crossed over well was hitting the double up turn on tricks.

I'm really sore this morning!

Eric

• Baller

Disclaimer: I am not a snow skier. Would love to, but not much opportunity here in Orlando.

It is just that I have learned a tremendous amount from studying instructional videos from Bode Miller and others in the Snow Ski industry. It has helped me better understand COM, Center of Mass movement. Along with better ankle and knee flexion, Also, and very importantly, separating upper and lower body movement, while keeping a quiet upper body. Including, keeping the head and shoulders level in a turn.

Another important point is a deeper understanding of Inclination vs. Angulation, and the advantages that presents.

As an example, for years I have skied and watched skiers set a straight-line angle from their turn in point for their gates, from the buoy line to the right hand gate buoy. The wider you were on the boat, the more angle you would have. However, I found at 38 or shorter, this could lead to a lot of excess speed being carried into one ball. The first time I ever tried 41 was an absolute wall, followed by a world of slack. In a quest to find the greatest amount of angle through the gates that would result in sustaining angular momentum, without excess speed, I turned to Snow Ski technique. I watched how Bode Miller would shift from one edge to the other and direct his COM to establish a large carving turn. This is what I was looking for. Instead of standing tall, and dropping in off the buoy line, directly towards the right gate I allowed my legs to carry through, under me, shift my COM towards the boat pylon, allowing the ski to carryout wide and in front of me. This kept me in a large carving turn, similar to what I saw with Bode Miller. As I entered the white water, second hand reaching the handle, I would reshift my COM in the direction of travel. This then created the first straight line through the gates from the left hand to right hand gate buoys, with the most angle I have ever created.

My point being, this really has worked for me. It was from studying Snow Ski technique that gave me the answer I was looking for. Presently I am working on better, more efficient Counter Rotation and increased Angulation, into and out of the apex. Not from watching other Slalom Skiers, but studying the very best Competition Snow Skiers. All this seems to work really well with Zero Off since it keeps you at a more constant speed throughout the course.

Just a different perspective,   ED

• Baller

Amen Ed, this is what I eluded to earlier.  Waterskiing is similar to alpine racing, specifically GS, not necessarily just snow skiing.  If one hasn't raced or studied ski racing, the similarities would be hard to wrap the brain around.

• Baller

Agreed, recreational snow skiing is more like cruising around on a weekend on a public lake.  Ed, love the thoughts and analysis.  Take a look at http://www.lovelandracing.com and watch the Coaches Choice video of Ligety.  During the slow motion part you can really get a feel for the leg extension, angulation and COM movement.  And, here's what Ligety does to prepare for a run like that

John

We found a lake near Longmont CO, it's called Pelican Shores Estates.  It isn't a slalom specific lake, but a gravel pit/turned lake development.  They put a slalom course in the main part(east/west) of the lake.  We are planning on going out & skiing it after the ice melts.  Would like to score a lot there if it skis good.

Anyone here know anything about Pelican Shores?

Anyone want to buy a money pit, er I mean a condo on Clear Lake in Iowa?