An Act To Prohibit Water-ski Courses on Small Ponds

MattP

• Baller
An Act To Prohibit Water-ski Courses on Small Ponds

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:Sec. 1. 12 MRSA §13068-A, sub-§17 is enacted to read:

17. Water-ski course; prohibition. A person may not operate a watercraft for the purpose of water skiing on a course established for water skiing on a body of water that has less than 100 continuous acres of open water that is not subject to headway speed restrictions.

A. A person who violates this subsection commits a civil violation for which a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $500 may be adjudged.

B. A person who violates this subsection after having been adjudicated as having committed 3 or more civil violations under this Part within the previous 5-year period commits a Class E crime. note :(Class E: Crimes punishable by up to six months incarceration and a $1,000 fine)

SUMMARY

This bill provides that a person may not operate a watercraft for water skiing on a course on a body of water that has less than 100 continuous acres of open water that is not subject to headway speed restrictions. note:(Headway speed is speed necessary to maintain steerage and control)

Source

If you are a resident of Maine this link will take you to the contact information for your representative. LINK

• Baller
The way I am reading this piece of legislation that will be the FIRST piece of legislation that is brought before the Maine Legislature at the start of their new session is that all private sites in Maine will become illegal to ski on. This I assume will put an end to sanctioned competition in that state. If we allow them to start here they can do this in every state. This must be stopped here. Hopefully someone has already contacted AWSA and USA Waterski and the other world governing bodies to put pressure on those who brought this piece of legislation to the docket to remove it. The people of Maine need to act by calling their representative directly to voice their opinion.

I only see one reason that this was brought up someone with a lot of influence possibly a member of the legislature has a private lake near their home that they do not like. They either host tournaments there that obstruct some part of their life for a few house a few times a year.

• Baller_
Would it be a good idea to post a letter of concern/disagreement with this bill that could be printed and signed. Then mailed or maybe just emailed to that states rep. I thought the AWSA had letters like this on hand. It most certainly could set precident for other states to follow. Not good.

• Baller
On the public lake I ski on there are very strict rules governing the use of Slalom courses. Now attacking places where you are not "bothering" anyone else is just not right.

Scot I agree I would like to know the WHY behind this very specific piece of legislation because it is not going after fishermen, free skiing, or just boats in general. Its way to specific. It must be a "pet" legislation for someone.

If anyone knows someone at AWSA please contact them and see what they can do.

• Baller

Could an letter be posted on BOS, electronically signed by Ballers and submitted to the appropriate personnel?  When we have had to fight medicare cuts in medicine, our organizations provide links to a prefab letter, we can either edit and send or simply send.  When we do, it automatically goes to the appropriate representatives.  Easy way to get busy docs to act in concert and generate a lot of letters. 

• Baller

Boat US is a non-profit boating group with an active boating advocacy department. They should be involved.

As a side note, Boat US also provides good low cost boat insurance. You must be a member to obtain insurance. Memberships are $30 but a group can form a "group co-op" with 5 members and receive 50% savings on dues. I formed a co-op for our community, free and easy. http://www.boatus.com/group/default.asp Maybe a Baller co-op?

• Baller
I was shocked to find out recently that the Ky State Fish and Wildlife has jurisdiction to enforce any and all laws and regulations related to boating even on private sites.  This means that they can enforce CG approved vests while one is tricking, for example, plus a multitude of other regulations.  Contrary to "normal" law enforcement, they may go onto private property without any "probable cause" at their whim, under the provison that fish and wildlife are everywhere. 

As with any potential law, the lawmakers respond well to multiple contacts, information, and solid efforts.  If there is silence, then there is consent. Anyone who lives in the state or travels to the state for skiing should make as much noise as possible.  E-mail, letters, phone calls, and visits to the reps and senators are the key to making this happen.  E-mails to the visitor's bureau or tourism department also help.  Just say you will not visit the state for your favorite sport if this law passes.

I am so glad that things in this country are going so well to allow the politicians to have time to attempt to destroy our sport as well. The fisheries have the same jurisdiction in Michingan as well, had a friend get a huge fine for a bate pile on his private hunting property last fall.

It seems that there is a real lack of common sense with laws like this, all of us want clean lakes and rivers to enjoy, but we also want to be able to use them. The legislator seem to be out to destroy the maritime industry though, the "permitorium" in the gulf, closing shipyards, new EPA regulations for fuel tanks that cause a huge cost increase, and just the other day I read that CT wants to raise the sales tax on all new boats by 50% this just after the largest yacht by gross tonnage built in the US was launched by Derector which is in CT. None of these ideas make sense, nor do they help anyone.

• Baller
Just another example of liberty dying right before our very eyes.  It sounds like another gov bureaucrat trying to justify employment by taking on a non-issue.  The DNR here in WI tried shutting down skiing through channels in our chain of lakes, but were shot down by the owners association.  They set up local bylaws to allow it.  I think we also finally have a governor in WI willing to fight this type of government intrusion.  Good luck in ME.  If it helps, I'll join that boating group, or donate to a legal defense fund.  Just let us know what it will take.