Chuck_Dickey

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From The Brochure:

Pureflow Strut

Mastercraft sweats the details. Over time the littlest thing can have a temendous impact. Out Patented new PureFlow strut, for example. Rather than enhancing speed and power by increasing horsepower, our naval architect analyzed prop efficiencies. The PureFlow strut improves torque by delivering cleaner water to the prop.

Looks like it came from a navy design.

The design has nothing to do with the navy, Mike Myers the Naval Architect (guy that designs the hull, and boat systems) originally came up with the design for the MC 300 when it was launched and now it is being put on all of the models. The strut works by cleaning up the water in front of the prop, which means that the prop has cleaner water and thus less cavitation (slip) thus increasing the efficiency. The strut also softens the wake some, and has been getting good feed back from dealers and skiers.

Maybe this could be used as a tail hook for very short lakes at the end of an 8 buoy course.

Might consult OB about this being he has the experience flying and setting up an 8 buoy course.

http://cid-3cc359cda510882d.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Pictures/IMG00176.jpg

http://cid-3cc359cda510882d.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Pictures/IMG00176.jpg http://ldifrq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pOSObENmt2z-cKsXGC9oKE3Qkcv5ykEMDYcqo8dT6ujVB37rYjsR3RCQNMXFfYvgeyB9kzAq_RyXz2oiRf0ER5YMJYjY51QCA/IMG00176.jpg?psid=1

No offense taken, I just was not sure what you meant. The shape of the current rudder has no adverse affect on the water flow that would cause any cavitation.

OB,

The new strut design has gotten good feedback from both pro skiers and non pro skiers as well as dealers. The new strut was mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago and the skiers that had skied boats with the new strut all liked it.

• Baller_
So, what did they like about it, what difference was actually seen and felt?  Interesting idea and implementation but you still have the disruptions on the top side of the bullnose.  It would be neat to see some comparative streamlines from standard and this design.  Certainly nice to see innovations back on the table for tourney ski boats after a pretty long drought watching the wakeboard boats suck up all the R&d resources.

• Baller

Right on DW!  That's why I switched from MC to CC back in '06.  I felt they were the only company who still took an interest in the slalom skier.  I would love to see what MC could accomplish with a new hull, putting their minds to it.

• Baller

SWC5150 I disagree with you strongly. The attempts by CC to redesign boats were disasters. My old 97 Nautique boat intrinsically a spectacular boat. The newer boats were OK for slalom only and awful for other skiing aspects. CC never fixed the defects. Mastercraft started as the disastercraft and continually improved the boat into the great three event boat it is now. The strut is another step in MC's evolution. I hope MC does not change its molds. CC maybe should? Note that the best hull ever is the 79 American Skier - imagine that boat with modern tweaks.

Eric

• Baller
To each his own, I guess, but my favorite boats to date are still the TSC hulls.  I used to bleed TN gel coat, and will always have a place in my heart for the Prostar, I just haven't cared for the last few incarnations. 

I have thought for some time that MC has been complacent with their prostar series,  nothing new has come out of Vonore since 2002ish?  I wouldn't consider a bolt on to an existing hull as much in the way of R and D. 

I'm really curious to see the new prostar, does anyone have any idea if it will be ready for production with the new model year 2012's? 

• Baller
TN, that was part of my thought as well.  MC has been pumping out new wake boats as fast as they could (like everyone), yet the PS remained stagnant.  Then when the 197 became the waterski flagship over the 190, I was out.

• Baller

Just because CC is constantly been changing their hull design doesn't necessarily make them any better and I don't have anything against CC. The old '98 196 was the best wake going, why all the changes?

MC has the best 3 event boats going. So why change the proven rather than tweak the underwater gear? The 2002 hull was refined in 2003 which added lift at the rear, flatter wake was the result. In 2006 they changed props and the rudder, both net results were improved driving and wake. Now this PureFlo strut and a new motor brand.

Not to bash CC, especially since I'm currently shopping for a 2011 Promo boat, but this is some of what I've heard during my search. These are not my comments, just what skiers have told me.

I hear the CC200 feel softer for slalom due to the chines added to the bottom. This adds bubbles to the wake, it's still as high but feel softer if you're on edge. If you're not on edge it will launch you as fast as any MC or BU. They still are not as good in Trick or Jump. I've heard these bubble lessen the efficiency of the prop and the boats are screaming at 34 and 36 mph, running 4000 rpm to 4500 rpm. Also heard the gas consumption increased dramatically, by 15 to 20 %.  I hear their answer is their 6L motor ($$) and a bigger prop.  I wonder why CC decided to increase the size and weight  which makes them the same as MC and Malibu.

• Baller

"I wonder why CC decided to increase the size and weight  which makes them the same as MC and Malibu."

I wondered the same thing, but it was to open the boat up to a broader market - which worked.  I'm still chugging the 196 kool aid, but am excited to see what the next Prostar brings us (hoping for late August 2011?).  I grew up in a MC household, so I'm not bashing them by any means.  Heck, I've probably been harder on CC since the 200 came out.   

• Baller
I had the opportunity to drive a 2011 197 at a tournament at Bennett's back in October.  I was not certain what had changed but the boat drove and skied much better than any other 197 I had been in.  It tracked as well as my SN200 and the wake at 28-35 were comparable.  I've been pleased with my 200 but since it is now sold and I'll be in the market for a new boat after the fall, I will consider MC this time around after my experiecne in October.

• Baller
I'm curious to check out this strut.  I'll admit, at first it reminded me of the 4th tracking fin, foiled rudder and rear wings glued to the hull.  If it provides greater efficiency at the prop, it could be a beneficial idea for the 200, if some the aerated water stories are true?

• Baller
Supposedly where the front of the hull meets the water the 200 hull is designed to suck air under the boat to soften (aerate) the wake.  This bubbled up water at the prop creates less prop bite making it less efficient, requiring more HP or RPM (using more fuel) to compensate.  Anyone able to confirm or deny that?  Adding this strut to the 200 might negate the value of this aeration (if in fact it exists) perhaps? 

The hull design of the 200 has a lot more wetted surface area then the 196, and that area is also designed in such a way that causes it to be less effiecient, that is why the high RPM and increased power needs. The hull is not sucking air under the boat, infact the boat has vented chines to allow high velocity spray to escape which would also allow any trapped air under the hull to escape.

You could still try and add the strut, im not sure what the CC shaft angle is though, as no matter the hull design the strut will clean up the water flow entering the prop.

• Baller

Note that race boats use a surface piercing propeller. Optimal amounts of air at the propeller should increase efficiency. Generating that air with draggy features on the bottom of the hull might offset any gain.

The 200 is a big boat. Maybe we need a light version of the old 76 Nautique!

Eric

• Baller
I would never betray the source of the info I heard on the 200, but it's pretty darn reliable, so I wouldn't say it's not occuring.  Whether it was intentional or not, to create a softer wake, was never discussed, so I can't comment on that.  With that said, I'm not privy to "insider info" on these boats, I just happened to be around when it was discussed.  In fact, I've heard it discussed in various forums now, so it's not a totally uncommon subject.  Owners on this site have changed props to improve fuel efficiency/RPM rates, apparently without sacrificing the wake, so it's not an insurmountable defect (if it's a "defect" at all).  I'm not bashing the 200 hull, again I'm just curious if this strut design could help in any way.

The front of that hull is certainly not designed to draw air under the boat, if it is then it is an unintended consequence of the hull geometry, but the way the hull is designed at the bow is to deflect the spray down and away.

The problem with the 200 hull is that the hull geometry caused a large increase in wetted surface area which means greater resistance which causes the boat to burn more fuel, go slower, and turn higher rpm's when compared to a 196. Those are the reasons that people are experimenting with different props unless there is something that I have not heard about at all.

The strut would work to clean up the prop flow but I couldnt tell you if it would fit the 200 or not. It would need to have the same shaft angle as the MC or have a shim machined to make it sit at the correct angle.

• Baller

MCski Freak, 

Bubbles are what's causing the prop to require such high revs and 15% to 20 % more gas consumption. Wake feel softer due to the bubbles, but you have to be on edge or it is just as high/hard. Still really good boat all around, but they need to do something besides opt up for the 6L motor.

At this point I'm shopping for an MC 2011 WTT with the Ilmor motor and the PureFlo widget.

• Baller

First off, the angle of the shaft on a CC200 is 16 deg (IIRC).  The Mastercraft is 19-21 - not sure of the exact deg.  Therefore the MC strut will not work on the CC200.  I'm not certain it is needed.

Now, as for fuel consumption, I changed the prop on my 200.  The RPM's are better but still not great.  I keep very tight records on our fuel consumption.  I have a bunch of data from my 2007 196 and by mid summer, I'll have some conclusive numbers on the 200. 

Chuck,

The water that is vaporizing would cause the bubbles. This is the sort of thing that occurs when you first apply the throttle. The vapor pressure is exceeded and this causes air bubbles to form. I still stand by the fact that the increased resistance is what causes the increased fuel consumption, I study this sort of thing all day long, and the way that hull is shaped is very inefficient from a resistance standpoint.

• Baller
I would really like to hear opinions if anyone retrofits a later model MC 197 TT with this new strut. I have a 2009 197 TT that I am considering retrofitting if it make a dramatic improvement to the wake. Also, wondering about the effort to install.