Radar Strada/Speedslot fin

Skihack

• Baller

Anyone out there using the Schnitz Speed Slot fin on a Radar Strada? Does the Strada fin block keep it secured? My understanding is the speedslot fin is thinner. Thought there might be an issue with a Strada fin block clamping the fin securely. If not, guess the fin block from Schnitz would have to be ordered as well.

Thanks.

• Administrators

Any time you change fin thickness you are changing the way the fin flexes.

If the fin is thinner than the fin slot, the fin will flex from the fin box. If the fin fits tightly in the fin box it will flex from the bottom of the ski. In other words a thinner fin will move more right to left because the fin slot is not holding it in place. Skis like the O'Brien elite have a very narrow fin slot to accommodate a very thin fin. The Radar Strada fin is closer to .1 and fits very snugly in the fin slot. If you put a thinner fin on the Strada you may also be getting flex.

When I was still making fins Pro skiers all told me my fins were too thick. Honestly my fins never worked for many 36 mile an hour skiers and were roughly the same thickness as stock fins. What they told me was thicker fins create lift and drag. I don't know that I've ever personally been able to feel this. If this is true a thinner fin should be faster. My question is  - is the thinner fin simply flexing more like my carbon fins did, so they get more angle. Honestly I've never looked carefully at a speed fin to see how much flexes.