would you slalom behind a cable?

greghayes

• Baller

Check out the video - is this a funny artifact of the past...or the future of the sport?

Slalom looks very different, but possible behind a cable system.

Would you ski behind a cable?

What if gas were $8/gallon?

What if AWSA sanctions cable systems as an approved tow boat?

• Baller
It's actually a heck of a lot of fun. I've slalomed the cable course in Pompano and Orlando and it's really different with no wake and the only two gates are the entrance and exit. It's very forgiving in that you can pull the cable a bit in the direction you're heading and you can lean away and pretty much drag your butt and get away with it. You do need to pay attention in the corners when the cable turns 90 degrees though or you'll really get slammed. There's a certain path you need to take or you'll suddenly be airborne - ski and all. Mike Ferraro couldn't stop laughing.

• Baller

Bud I found the rules for you. Some interesting stuff regarding lines but the speed rules look the same

Rule 8.3. Tow lines

This rules mention two types of lengths of towlines; the effective and the horizontal length. The effective length is calculated, based on the given horizontal length and the measured average height of the cable. Calculation of the average height of the main running cable „AB“ = (Height of the entry wheel „H1“ + height of the main running cable in the middle „H2“ + height of the exit wheel „H3“) : 3.

screen-capture-18.png

When „H2“ is measured with a loading of 70 kg on the cable (see Diagram 1).

Diagram 2 shows the relations between the horizontal length of a line, the effective length and the height of the cable. The distance AB is the height of the cable. The corner ABC is a 900 angle. Point A is the end of the line that is fastened to the main running cable. Point C is the handle. The distance AC is the effective length of the line. The distance BC is the horizontal length of the line. When the height AB of the cable and the horizontal length BC is given, the effective length shall be calculated with the help of the next formula:

screen-capture-19.png

All line lengths given in this rules are the horizontal lengths. The organizer shall furnish single-handle tow lines as in (d) below, made of 6 mm, single braided, monofilament line of plastic material, with the handles and line meeting the following specifications:

a) Number of strands = 12. Number of yarns each strand = 60. Diameter at 5,5 kg load = 6,3 mm. Weight per meter = 16,0 g to 23,0 g. Breaking load, minimum = 590 kg. Elongation at 115 kg tensile load = 3,2 % maximum. All measurements of towlines shall be made at 20 kg tension and shall be made between the centre line of handle at the point furthest from the end of the trimball.

b) The handle shall be made of 2,50 to 2,80 cm outside diameter material with no sharp edges or projections, with a non-slip surface or coating. The attaching ropes must in all cases go through the handle and must be attached so there is no possibility of movement between the rope and the handle when in use. The minimum certified breaking load of the handle shall be 270 kg applied at the rate of 290 kg for a minute at two load points 9 cm apart at the centre of the handle with the ends supported at the rope holes.

c) Tow lines should be prepared as follows: 6 lines of 18,25 m, 5 of 16,00 m and 14,25 m and 2 of the shorter lengths. A tolerance of ± 15 cm on the distance from the end of the trimball to the middle of the handle is allowed for ropes till 14,25 m. From the 13,0 m rope on the tolerance is reduced to ± 7,5 cm.

d) The tow rope shall consist of the following parts: - the handle with a length of 1,50 m (only for Slalom and Jump) - the tow rope - the trimball and cable e) Dimensions shall be as in Diagram 2.

Rule 8.4. Pre-stretching of Tow lines

All ropes should be pre-stretched to insure tightness of the splices before measurement.

Rule 8.5. Tow lines and handles for the Trick event

The towlines in the trick event are 14,50 m with a loop at the end (that is a 16 m line without the handle portion). The skier must furnish his own handle for the trick event of any length, dimension or material.

Rule 8.6. Tow lines and handles in the Slalom and the Jump event.

Skiers in Slalom and Jump are required to use competition supplied tow lines and handles. Organizers shall furnish a minimum of 6 identical handles as described in Rule 8.3.

screen-capture-20.png

screen-capture-21.pnga>

Rule 12. Slalom

Rule 12.1. General

The skier shall follow the main running cable around the deflection pulley before the slalom course, pass around the outside of all 6 buoys, and after rounding the 6th buoy, proceed through the end gate, and ski until the carrier has passed the deflection pulley after the slalom course to qualify for the next pass.

At the maximum slalom speed the following tow lengths shall be used:

1st Pass 18,25m rope

2nd Pass 16,00m rope

3rd Pass 14,25m rope

4th Pass 13,00m rope

5th Pass 12,00m rope

6th Pass 1,25m rope

In any further passes, the rope shall be shortened by half a meter. If needed, the first speed may be lowered in 3 km/h increments and then proceed upwards again in the same 3 km/h increments up to the maximum speed for the division and age category. The skier has to do one pass after another without falling until the maximum speed has been achieved. Then the skier will proceed as shown in the table.

The finals shall start with the rope length or slalom speed that was passed in the preliminary round by all skiers that take part in the finals in that division and age category unless changed by the Event Judges. The skier or his representative shall announce the rope length or slalom speed at which he elects to start on a published time close before the estimated start of that series or event. A skier who fails to announce the rope length or slalom speed at which he wants to start, shall have to start at the published start rope and speed.

Further the skier has to inform the Technical Officer at which speed he desires to leave the starting jetty. Acceleration from start speed to slalom speed shall be done directly after the skier has started.

http://www.iwwfed.com/11Cableski/2011%20Cableski%20Rules.pdf

I have worked at McCormick's in Tampa for a total of 16 or 17 months over the last 4 years. They put a cable in the back two lakes in 2008. The cable they put in is really high, for wakeboarding, but is a 3-event size cable. Even if you hate wakeboarding, go ride a cable some where. I promise you will have fun!! I pretty much never wakeboard, but riding cable and hitting the kickers and rails is a whole different fun. The crashes seemed to hurt less, as the cable is normally running around 19mph. I never did throw my slalom on, but would love to try. My favorite was riding the shoe skis!! Good times!

• Baller

So I'm new here, but I've been lerking for a while now, reading a lot and learning. This topic is something that I've been pondering ever since the electric Nautique release with all it's pro's and con's.

Did any of you read the WS mag article a couple years back about the German guy who constructed a trolley system with a catamaran set up that supported a pylon and rudder? He had an underwater cable system that could pull the trolley either direction, he could shorten the line length and the pull height was similar to today's 3-event boats. Seams to me you could also produce the 34 / 36mph speed required and you wouldn't have to fight the cable stretch as bad.

I've searched youtube in the past hoping to find a video, and WS website looking for more info, no luck so far.