Distance to 34 MPH?

PT Mike

• Members
I'm playing on Google Earth looking for a possible second site and was wondering what is the approximate distance to 34 MPH? Boat is a bone stock 96' PS 190 w/ 275hp TBI motor,non slot,13x13 prop. I'm thinking 300' is adequate. Our current site has a long set up and it will be at least a month before the old boat gets salty. Thanks.

• Baller_
Looking back at some boat test data, the spread for 0-36 mph ranges from 150-225 feet. I would certainly think 300' would suffice but not necessarily leave a lot of extra space.

• Members
Thanks DW. Just trying to eliminate too short a setup.We have alot of tidal flats here and using Google Earth with the ruler from the toolbar is pretty cool,quite accurate too. Once we get the boats going at the end of the month we can time them to speed.

• Baller_
We have short set ups but wide turns. We start facing shore pick up skier make the turn and accelerate from the 20s to 34 or 36. Not long enough to go straight in. Works well and makes any tournament site feel long.

@Horton, I setup a 12 buoy course one year for a New Years day ski fest. It was not as easy to ski as you might think. Of course back then, I was on slow equipment and was skiing turn and burn, so I was begging for the exit gates. I think it would be a lot easier now with the new equipment and more efficient style of skiing.

• Baller
I've had a course in 2 different 1700' lakes, one of them had a Dog Leg at one end. But you need a pretty decent accelerating boat and it needs to settle when it hits the speed. I haven't noticed any overshoot of the speed w ZO. 1700 is doable, for a standard 6 buoy. Longer is better.

• Baller

I customize stuff for customers on a fairly regular basis. If you REALLY want an 8 or 10 buoy course (8 - 10 gates, not a regular 8-ball overlaid double course - although I build those too) I can build you one no problem. You just need a long enough site...

Ed