Butterfield

Old MS Accout

• Baller
Jeez, I am going to start digging in my archival tool box and break out some of the fins, wings and other stuff that lurks in there for a photo display! This may bee cool. There is some way off the wall stuff that has been around for the past 30+ years.

• Baller
I keep thinking its more about me than the equipment. Someday (NEVER) when I think I've perfected the technical side of skiing I'll start thinking about really cool stuff like ventral wings! Unless, of course, everybody I know starts using them and picking up 3 balls from their PBs!

• Baller
MS, Nice! I dug my old RAT wing out of my parts bag. The rat is larger and looking at it from the same angle as the drawing, comes off the attachment plate flat for 3/16th" and then angles upward opposite Skibug"s illustration. Angle seems similar. I think I might put it on My Elite as It sure worked well on my Sixam. If I can find the right aluminum stock it should be easy to do. If not just a little more work.

• Baller_

I've been reading and thinking about some of the descriptions of the ventral wing and if they all get close to the claims, they may help. The effects and benefits make sense to me. Of course, it will take time and experimentation to determine if the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. (As a point of reference, I spent half a season on a slot fin before deciding the drawbacks outweighed its considerable benefits....for me)

So......I took a mini wing, bent it to the *TLAR angle and mounted at the TLAR point on the front of the fin and gave it a try. My normal wing stayed in place. With the disclaimer that I have one set on it an only skied some 35s, I found the descriptions about keeping the tip down and improved tracking to be on the mark. I do happen to have enough extra wings in my shop to add some testosterone to Chet's setup :)

I am puzzled why Chet and others have cut down the wing. With a 0 deg angle, I would think need for a “ mini-mini” wing would be minimal.

JD's comment about moving the bindings back seems like a logical next step.

I have long been a believer in low drag wings, with low profile and tapered edges. The “standard” wing that comes on most skis achieves most of its effect more from turbulent drag than angle.

*So far, that is one point where I agree with Eric.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding