Understanding the one-handed gate

• Baller

So I've been reviewing some of my videos of my skiing and have noticed a shift in my one-handed gate. If you study the technique as performed by various professionals....you'll notice some major differences in the one-handed gate. 2 very easy examples of this are Marcus Brown vs. Terry Winter. Marcus's gate seems to be one continuous movement. He moves out and very quickly makes a continuous move back in to the wake. However, Terry make a pull out, coasts, and then very slowly and progressively reaches and turns back in. When I first started trying the one-handed gate, my style was more like that of Marcus Brown's. But NOW....I've started (unknowingly) shifting more towards the style of Terry Winter. What is everyone's understanding and approach to the one handed gate?

Marcus Brown's gate:

Terry Winter's gate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in5Se66mLfQ

• Baller
By observation, not doing it myself, I feel that the Marcus Brown approach is the proper way to get full advantage of the 1 hand gate. Otherwise you may as well go with traditional two, object of 1 hand is to initiate a turn similar to a 2 ball turn. IMHO

• Administrators
I do the MB gate (not nearly well as MB does it) because it is more like a 2/4/6 turn. If I ever got my one ball to be as good as my 3 & 5 I would pick up a bunch of balls.

• Baller

MS,

I think you hit the nail on the head when you stated that the MB gate is "high risk, high reward". There's a very small margin of error when you attempt the MB gate....but if you do it right, its awesome. I know I was experiencing a lot of inconsistency which is probably why I've started slowing the movement down, similar to TW's gate.

I think if you are as good as MB and Karina, its the way to go. The think I like about the TW gate (fake 2 handed gate) is that it allows you yo glide and stand up tall prior to turn in. With the MB gate, you will most times be rushed and often times late and fast as a result. If I was a full time ski bum and had the time to take 20 wacks a day at gate shots, I would work on the MB gate.

• Baller
I use a "true" one handed gate (probably not nearly as well as Horton does it); I switched about 2 years ago. I am RFF. I like it because I don't have to think. I pull just after I pass the 55's (about 1 ski length); then it is release, counter a little bit, pressure on front foot and GO!! I have found that I really need to concentrate on pulling out late and committing early. Even today, I still find myself anxious to pull out and have to guard against pulling out too early especially on my challenge pass. I use the term "commiting early" regarding not letting the ski go flat. I find my edge change is slowed down a bit; but, I try to never go flat. I try and get on the inside edge early; otherwise you will get slack.

• Baller
To each his own..why wouldn't you want to start your rythm early? The pull out and gate (especially a two handed gate) is a whole different evolution / sequence of events versus the other 6 turns you make in the course. For instance, you don't pull then glide flat and wait for a turn in point to go when you are in the course (although unintentionally, I do get flat in the course, and that is not a good thing). It is just my theory / rationalization.

• Baller
The reason I don't do it is because I've never been able to do it where it benefited my skiing. I tend to turn my onside to hard anyway and that has also been the case when I try a 1 hand gate. My rhythm starts out much better 2 handed and I don't ever glide flat before the turn in (if I can help it). That said, I usually spend a few sets trying to get it where I'm comfortable with it, but I'm nowhere near that point right now. Besides Will and CP don't seem to be at much of a disadvantage to the one handers.

I think a 1 handed gate is MB at one end of the scale, TW at the other, and everything in between. I've have been changing between 1 & 2 handed for a couple of years, (I'm LFF). Right now I'm 2 handed but theres lots to think about, particularly when to pull out, headwind / tailwind etc. Although I have not tried it, how about pull out like a 1 hander, ie really late, but dont let go - just turn in,