Trouble at buoy

WBLskier

• Baller
Hi all--I am trying to work on learning how to ski efficiently. I am also working out being on a new ski, which is taking a little time. I have always skied the old school way of slowing down at the buoy and making a sharp turn. I have been able to avoid a lot of slack at the buoy this way by hitting the brakes on my approach to th buoy. I am now trying to maintain my speed at the buoy. So far, I have been getting a lot of slack due to my speed. Any thoughts on what to work on to lessen this problem? Maybe I am still turning too sharply?

• Baller
Not seeing you ski or anything, I would guess you would need to work on handle control and edge change. I would think the slack is coming from a lazy edge change, trying to maintain your speed. Up top, go to the tech article section and read the article "what the heck is handle control" it is very good and should help.

• Baller
As a general rule of thumb, slack line doesn't come from speed.....it comes from DIRECTION of speed. You're getting a slack line because you have too much speed directed down course. Rossi wrote a GREAT article called "Skiing the Impossible Line." It expains in great deatail about direction of speed as well as handle control. I highle advise looking it up and reading it. I've attached the PDF....I hope it works....