Knee Pain

• Baller

Two surgeries (one each knee) for torn cartiledge and meniscus damage. I now wear a full heavy duty Breg brace on the right knee (rear knee, worst of the two). Helps immensely. You might want to look into having one/both MRI'ed to see if there is something structural. In the mean time compression bracing of some sort may help support the knee joints. We pay to play...

Ed

• Baller

Hugh. Much more info is needed.

Pain slowly coming on for years or started last set?

Front knee or back?

Does it only hurt when you ski, or is it all the time with walking, etc.?

Did you just change bindings?

Change rotation of bindings?

Is the joint swollen?

Specifically (and I mean specifically) where on the knee do you feel pain?

If this is severe and persistent you will likely need to see an orthopod to get it assessed. Diagnosis over the internet is maximally sketchy.

• Baller

They also hurt going up & down stairs, & riding a bike. I went to the ortho dr. over the winter. $330 later he said "You have the knees of a 40 year old." I told him I'am a 55 year old man with 40 year old knees that hurt". The don't swell or hurt any other time. What ever I'am doing that make them hurt, pain stops when i quit. Youngman, when i ride the bike I turn my toes out & the pain stops. A coworker this am gave me some glucosemean condrontion. claims that will help.

Thager, crabscan, wtf?

Not much you can do. Glucosemean/Condr/msm seem to help some of my other joints, but not my knee pain. You can hit the gym and work all the muscles around the knee to help support it. Leg extensions, hamstring curls, squats, leg press, etc. Just go light weight / high reps.

• Baller

RAL< it feels like its in the center of the knee, the knee cap dosen't hurt, just the joint. 22off will bring tears to my eyes....

clemsondave, leg extension's, hamstring curls bring on the same pain. I think I'll swim laps in the pool this weekend & squats using a case of Shiner Bock as weight.....

Try skiing monday or tuesday

• Supporting Member

Have you visited a sports-oriented chiropractor already? Most chiropractors don't know much about knees, but those with the right training can be very helpful. My dad (who has 69 year old knees) has gotten quite a bit of benefit from just a few treatments per year from Dr. Gillman. Doubt you're anywhere near to Natick MA but I'll link to his website anyhow:

http://www.drgillman.com/

It wouldn't be crazy to give him a call just to find out what specific qualifications you should be looking for to find a suitable practitioner near to you.

It might not do a thing, but it's a low opportunity cost to find out.

• Baller
Looks like you went to an otrhop. surgeon and he did not help. Was it a sports-oriented one? Many times some doctors will assume that anyone over 50 that can operate the tv remote is in terrific shape...

• Baller

Sorry Hugh.

Sad attempt at biology humor (arthropod assessment = crabscan ) combined with poor spelling and way too much caffeine. Never mind, but it was Friday and funny to me. I obviously need a life!

• Baller
Hugh, I know the feeling. When I have back pain, and go and show that it hurts before my palms are touching the floor when bending to the font, doctors would say that it would be normal for me not be able to touch my knees...

• Baller

I skied yesterday evening with much better result's. The 22off bump was a little painful crossing on my off side, 28 & 32 were ok. I started taking glucosamine/condroitin last friday. I also spoke to the retired chiropractor & showed him the video. He said "Hugh, your patella is not tracking properly". He then said pretty much what Bruce55 said. I also didnot cram my back foot in quite so far.

Thanks for the help on this everyone!