Distance between bindings

bmurbs

Using double hardshell bindings and having trouble finding a good spacing between bindings. I am 5'7'' and foot size 9....is there are rule of thumb for where to start this process. Measuring between the pivot points on the boots (approx the ankle bone) I have been as close as 10.5 and as far as 11.5. Suggestions on where to start????

• Members

Have you just recently switched to the hard shells?

What problems are you having?

I get my front binding where I want it and then the back binding is jammed as close to the front binding as possible. Then all movements are done with both bindings.

• Baller
I have heard, and not sure where, that "as close as possible" is not always better; especially from a balance and leverage standpoint. I think that there is probably an optimum comprimise point to maximize both aspects. If some one asked you to stand in a balanced position; you wouldn't put your feet as close as possible. It is easier to balance when your feet have some separation; likewise leverage is increased as your feet get closer to shoulders width. I was running my setup as close as possible (about 11.50") and went to (about 12") and this seemed to feel more balanced with better leverage against the boat (i.e. being able to hold edge cross course)....just my two cents.

I agree- I believe there are individual 'geomtries' (maybe from 'bad'/previously injured ankles, knees, hips) that should drive the distance between ankles. With that caveat tho, I have noted small movements of one binding to be equivalent to moving one half hole, without effecting leverage/balance or fin settings extensively. Helpful for fine tuning for warmer/colder water etc.

• Baller

I have also heard what skibug has heard, mostly from an article years ago in WS Magazine. One of the downsides of increased separation is the tendancy to push on the back of the ski and also more weight towards the back. If this fits your skiing style, then great.

Do we want to "push" the back of the ski or have more weight towards the back? I've found many people find success when they make efforts to get the bindings close to each other.

But for every opinion on this thread, there will be someone pointing out the exact opposite, its just the nature of the sport. There is no "right" answer sometimes. Wing / No wing. Open to the boat or closed. Bindings close or separated.

• Baller
Well, It's been my observation that all things considered closer together is a contributor to more consistent balance. Greater spread and a slight movement either way has more impact. (leverage effect) Having said that, if someone needs to tighten up their onside turn, moving the rear binding back will help that.