malibu TXI

Razorskier1

• Baller
Heard from the local dealer that they are using it at the MN State tournament. He didn't really know how it was different -- said it was the same size as the LXI. Then it is going to be on display at Midwest Regionals and at Nationals. Anybody hear anything about what they are doing? My guess is it will be incremental such that most of us won't notice the difference --

• Baller_
I have driven one, This boat had a 6 liter, seemed to have adequate power. the boat was set up for skiing with out the rollbars. Not being a Malibu efficianado it drove straight and seemed to have less hull roll then an LXI, maybe because of the lack of the roll cage. My complaint is can't they build the drivers seat up a bit? Also why do they continue with the 1:1 transmission and not a reduction Gear? liked the new wind screen full view with no blind spots like the old one.

• Baller
would be the last of my choices among the "big three". Seating position and ergonomics make it feel like you are sitting in the bottom of a big old tub. Lots of shiny chrome bits that tend to break or fall off over time. Overall never seemed as high quality fit and finish as the MC or CC.

• Baller
It's a quality boat that cared for well should have no issues...hell I have a very tight 20 year old Centurion on the family lift but she's been babied. Far better quality and materials for Malibu than Moomba or any other price point boat. Having said that, I believe there are some appreciable differences on the margins in vinyl, carpet, ergonomics, gel coat, motor box insulation, mufflers when compared to MC and CC. It's all fairly subtle, but I believe it's all there...keeping in mind I'm very picky...sometimes I notice things not on most people's radar screens (ok, more than sometimes).

• Baller

Ergos seem to be a matter of preference. For instance, I don't think there's ever been a boat more ergonomically perfect than the 2002-2003 Response LX. I don't care for the ergos at all in most CCs I've driven. It's all what you're used to.

I like the new boat a lot. Looks great.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, some times you try to deal with a dealer that feels like he is doing you a favor. I've owned each of the big three. I have owned 9 boats since 97. (never had a promo just love the sport and made some great friends that sold boats) I'm thinking about going back to Malibu. Not because they are great in every area, each has their niche. Because it is a great boat and the dealer actually still gives a rip about the sport and the customer.

No names, but I actually was dealing with another dealer that named his price. There were two options, around $2500 of stuff that doesn't help my skiing, that we didn't want. (we were going to order a boat) His price without the options was the same. That was the special..... He later dropped the price by $1000. I guess it he didn't believe me when I told him I knew his costs.

I'm glad there are options for all of us. It would be great if the dealers could get "back to the basics of love."

• Baller
I drive an LX (my boat) and an LXI (my neighbors boat) and I feel like I am sitting on the floor in the LXI. The visibility is fine when it is underway but I am not crazy about the seating position. I haven't spent much time in the drivers seat of the other top boats since the early 1990s.

• Baller

Malibu will build the boat with 2" spacers under the seat pedestal if you request it. At least one of our Promo guys in Houston gets his boat that way every year.

Only real gripe I have with Malibu quality wise is that their chrome plater sucks. I've seen more pitted and peeling chrome plating in post 07 bu's than I thought possible. You just don't see pitted and peeling chrome or polished pieces on a nautique and MC usually(mainly because they use billet aluminum or polished stainless).

• Baller

Those little vents front and rear deck are only back-glued as well. I've seen a few with those pushed through. All it would take is some little bolts. The chrome trim pieces are not attached well to the combing pads, either, and the sharp edges catch easily on equipment passing by which then pulls them off.

Seems like less motor box insulation as pretty loud in reverse. It's a bunch of little stuff including the bottom of the bath tub driver's seat and enormous throttle ball made worse by the idea of a button on top to go into/out of gear. What a stupid glove box. When used to all the glove box space in a 196 it seems ridiculous...we stuff all our clothes and towels in there while we ski so no extraneous stuff all over the boat.

Otherwise impressive to have a boat that size, with an open bow that size, handle as well around the turn-around island and throw a nice wake. It's only frustrating to me b/c they are close to fantastic boat and blow the small stuff.

• Baller
After finishing his set behind the TXI, a hardcore Nautique promo guy made the comment that the 22 off wake was on par with the Nautique wake. My set behind it felt great, but they all feel good at 28 off and shorter.

I have driven and skied behind the 2012 TXI, the wakes are much improved for slower speeds and the boat drives better than the 2011. It tracks better and the hull feels a little wetter in the water. We utilized the boat in a class C tournament, several of the kids skiing at speeds from 25 mph and above set PB's behind the boat. My son is 9 and starts at 25 mph and was able to keep the ski down and cross the wakes very easily. Actually one of the PB's and keeps asking me when I will have a new one. Several people that are normally hard core CC owners even complemented the 22 off wakes at 34 mph. This is going to be a great boat for 2012. Visibility much better and they did get rid of the chrome dash plate.

• Baller
Agree with MS. The LX was a better boat than the LXI. Smaller, better seating position, nice wakes, good tracking. We'll see how the TXI runs, but I just don't like the size/form factor. Too big! And that throttle ball -- who decided we needed a tennis ball sized throttle!

• Baller

That's great for the 5% of skiers who ski private dedicated ski lakes exclusively. That's what God made CC200's and Carbon Pro's for. For the rest of us who have to ski in the real world and have families who like to go along with us, a small closed bow or tiny walk over bow (totally wasted space IMO) doesn't work ergonomically or otherwise. I guess I'm just another dumb-dumb who's been duped into beliving that an LXI is a really good ski boat. But I'm from Kansas, what the hell do I know about skiing?

FWIW two of my semi-regular ski buds who have '01-02 LX's love my '05 LXI and would prefer to trade their LX's for mine if they could (not interested). Depends on your needs and prejudices I suppose.

Ed

Ed,

They can still make the big boats for the big lakes and families, there is no shortage of them. The 200 and the Carbon Pro are still too big for private lakes. I need a tool, not a bunch of overpriced bling.

The LX was a good boat, but it kinda started this open bow thing.

• Baller

You can still get the LX if you want...

Funny how evryone keeps commenting on the size of the Boo but yet CC made their boat bigger and with a OB w/ walkthrough...

LXI length: 20' 6" beam: 93.5" weight: 1265lb

200 length:20' beam: 95" weight: 1450 lb

Hmmm

• Administrators
The R&D I did with Malibu last spring was all about the bump at 22 and 28 off. What I would expect is a boat that is mostly the same as the current boat but better wakes for the ladies.

• Baller
Current Malibu RLXi listed at 2600 lbs, MC 197 and SN200 both @ 2800, MC 190 @ 2600. I am not sure I care about boat weight; I am more concerned with wake profile and feel, and yes I know that the wake is somewhat dependent on the weight of the boat.

• Baller_

A few points to add to this thread. The LXi hull actually is a little different than the LX, extra chine added thus the comments from EZ Ed on how flat/smooth the wake is. The LXi is dimensionally larger as noted and does weigh 250 lbs more +/-. The newer CC/MC and Bu's all tip the scales at +/- 2800 lbs and are in the 93"-95" beam compared to the older boats in the 90" beam and 2400-2600 lb range.

I have modified an older Malibu and it produces a super flat slalom wake. Mods reduced weight by 250# and added some LXi hull features. So both weight and wake profile affect the wake performance/feel. Makes a heck of a footing boat since it's about 400hp.

• Baller
It is kind of interesting that the MC 197 is 2.5" narrower yet 200lbs heavier than the LXI. On my lake the extra 2.5" in width makes a difference. I could survive with a boat that is 93.5" but I would be afraid to go any wider. Hopefully the TXI doesn't change the beam.

Its sad that there are quality slalom boats out there being made that are not sent to the boat tests for approval.

For a club boat I guess the LX would be a good option but you would not be able to pull a sanctioned event. Any one order one lately? What is the cost compared to the LXI?

• Baller

"all about the bump at 22 and 28 off. What I would expect is a boat that is mostly the same as the current boat but better wakes for the ladies. "

FU Horton, we aren't all slalom gods, I'm a guy and that's where I ski. On a good day that is.

I hope the sarcasm is apparent and you don't take this too seriously. I know I didn't.