Smith Mountain Lake Near Lynchburg VA

scuppers

• Baller

I'm interested to know more about this lake.

I had a couple of friends go there last year and they described it as a lake full of houses (e.g. Norris), but with little to no boat traffic.

Of course, they have big boats and don't seem to notice or mind rougher water.

I'm nervous about taking my boat (200) to a big lake I've never been to before with what appears to have a lot of access for boat traffic.

Any info is appreciated.

• Baller
@ScarletArrow It's deep and huge! The water is very clear. Lots of coves and cover (mountains) along the shore lines. We found plenty of glass with an occasional tuber or jet ski cruzing through. I was never able to find any courses on it but it would be great for free skiing and family fun.

I vacation there every year. There are a couple of courses in the western part of the lake. There are also nice, deep, calm coves all over the place to get runs in. It is a big, clean, deep lake with a fraction of the traffic you'd see on some other big southern lakes. (I think most homes are vacation homes, not primary homes). One of these days I'll buy property on it. I think its important to rent a house in the area that supports what you want to do though. If you want courses, you need to look for rentals in the Blackwater Creek (Franklin County) side of the lake, otherwise you could find yourself boating 30-45 minutes or more each way just to get to them. I'd be happy to share more info if you want. darrenmalone at comcast dot net

• Baller
@ScarletArrow Smith Mtn. Lake is home to some world class skiers. The Cooper girls grew up skiing there and still can be found skiing there when they come home. Their dad, Ashley Cooper, maintains one of the courses there near their home. I'm sure if you connect with him, you would likely have access to some great coaching and driving as well.