D3 Fusion Review

Horton

• Administrators

IMG_5431.JPGIn the last few years, D3 has made skis at opposite ends of the spectrum: so called “fast skis” like the Z7 and then deeper riding skis like the X5 and X7. The fast skis are known for requiring less physical effort, gaining width with ease and turning aggressively .The deeper riding skis are known for carving smooth arcs around the ball and a more tactual feel.

General Feel:
With the Fusion, D3 set out to combine the best attributes of the Z7 and the X7. From the Z, they wanted the speed and width. Form the X, they wanted the carving turns and stability. The result is brilliant.

Toe Side (Off Side) Turn
Approaching and exiting the off side, the Fusion draws a continuous arc out and around the ball. The ski is very tolerant of skier mistakes and finds the right path with minimum drama. Unless pushed aggressively, the ski blends the finish of the turn and the start of the acceleration stage better than most skis.

Heel Side (On Side) Turn
On Side turns have a tighter radius with more front foot pressure, but the Fusion is reasonably tolerant to extra back foot pressure. With weight centered and head up, this ski turns symmetrically on both sides.

From Second Wake to BallDSC_9552.JPG
The Fusion consistently draws a path wide of the ball line. Width is simply not an issue on the Fusion. This is remarkable for a ski that turns with such a smooth arc.
Stability is something you notice mostly when you do not have it. Some skis make skiers feel stressed or unsteady between the wakes and the ball. The Fusion is calm and predictable, so much so that I found that I was controlling the handle (rope tension) far better on the Fusion than on other skis. In other words, I am so comfortable on this ski that I am able to ski more technically.

From Ball to Second Wake
If the skier is reasonably calm and patient at the ball, the Fusion will continue to generate angle all the way to the wake. In the case of a ball line error, the Fusion is easy to redirect across course. This ski delivers ample angle at the exit of every turn.

Quirks & Notes
If the skier is centered (stacked – hips up) across the wakes and approaching the ball, the Fusion is one of the very best high end skis available today. The one downside of this ski is that it has a small performance envelope. Outside that envelope, performance drops off quickly, and the ski is suddenly a lot of work to ride and unruly at the ball.
The Fusion is not tolerant to incorrect fin settings. In addition, skiers who do not consistently get their hips forward crossing the wakes will not do well on this ski.

DSC_0264.JPGConclusion:
There is no such thing as the perfect slalom ski, but for many skiers, the Fusion is the closest thing available today. If you are still and centered through the wakes, calm at the ball and do not insist on tweaking your fin settings every week, I strongly recommend this ski.

• Baller

Definitely appreciate the good review.

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit per @jdarwin comment.

The Elite also strikes me as a ski with a "small performance envelope", e.g., drop the hips going into the offside and get on the front too much; game over.

Some skis are less tolerant of front-back movement, but when technically sound yield greater reward. Something similar here?

Thanks again.

• Baller
I have also ridden this ski and I agree with John's comment on "small performance gap". My opinion is that this correlates with fin set up and technique. Unlike the other D3's I have ridden X5, Nomad RC, Z7 ST (IMO the RC was/is the best of them all) the Fusion is very, very, very particular about fin set up. My only analogy is that I had a two different sets of numbers (short and deeper / long and more shallow) from past D3 skis and both sets of numbers were "usable" on the previous three skis I have ridden; but, the Fusion did not seem to like either of them very much; meaning there would have to be a lot more tweaking to dial it in. I will admit I did not spend a significant amount of time on the ski (4 sets); but, i could tell right away that it was going to be a time intensive effort to find that "small' sweet spot and an additional effort to tweak my skiing style. I was not willing to make that type of time investment or effort.

• Administrators

On some skis, when you are not "with it", you can ski almost as good anyway.

If not strong or not as stacked, on a lot of skis you will manage to ski relatively well. On the Fusion as soon as you lose your stack the magic is gone.

You can scrap at your hard pass provided that you do not try to tail ride from ball to ball.

NOTE: I think I ski technically better on this ski more of the time.

It was easy for me to stay in the performance window provided I was rested and the boat driver was looking forward and there was not a bikini in the boat.

• Baller

I'm struggling with the choice of the Fusion or the X7. I have found memories of the X5(@36) and it seems my scores were more consistent then. The last several years have been on an F1 and now a Prophecy (both 67"). My scores have equaled those on the X5 but it seems the consistency is gone. The Fusion sounds great but the "small performance window" concerns me a little. It seems like the X7 is the safe choice but I'm looking for a breakthrough (like everyone else switching skis...).

Given all of my time on Connelly's, do you expect the performance window on the Fusion to be smaller than the Prophecy? I left the X5 in search of more buoys, perhaps that is why I am having a hard time going with the X7. D3 is recommending a 66" in either ski.

I'm 6', 175 occasionally running -35 @34. I'm planning to pick one and ski it a ton for 30 days and if it's not the one move on. Where should I start?

I wont go into a horton like review but the Fusion just turns on its own. It is pretty smooth and stable at all times.

I got back on my Strada and it took me 3 passes to get my ski under me on the turns. It is amazing how much I had to put into the Starda to get it to turn after riding the Fusion. Second set on the Strada and I was not haveing any issues making it turn but the fusion just turns on its own. If I had to, I could make it work.

• Baller
@Wish, had the Z7 ST as well (and the Z7, RCX, RC and white Nomad before...). The ZT ST turns great with tip down, but the Fusion turns better, more predictably and with less input. It kind of carves thru the turn, on a very predictable way.

• Baller

Ed,

please take my comments considering that I am riding with drysuit in 10°C water.

The Fusion for sure feels like riding deeper in the water than the Z7 ST. After pulling out and turning the islands I see water being thrown everywhere (however, have not had spray in my face in the course - which is something that happens to me once on a while with any ski). However, it feels fast and wide. One the things I liked about the Z7 ST is that I could be extremely late @ 5 and it would take me to 6. I can do the same with the Fusion and, on top of that - and probably because it is a smoother turner - I can push it from 2-4 to 3-5 if late (LFF here...), which was not usually the case with the Z7 ST.

I feel it shuts down and turns like the Warp when I tried it.

Regarding its lightness in the line, it feels similar while in the course and I do not feel more tired after a set than with the Z7 ST.

I was very happy with the Z7 ST and I feel I will be even happier with the Fusion.

• Baller_
I will say that the Z7st I test rode did two things that surprised me (never rode a D3 before this test ride) One, the tip stayed down. It was shocking to me how much of the ski was in the water at the finish of the turn. Second, with all that ski in the water I never got so much as a drop on my face. Not uncommon for me to get a face full of spray on just about any ski. I wear shades when I ski like the ball of hair. Can't speak to all D3s but those two attributes and ease of use was remarkable.

• Baller

Went to the water again after 10 days off (and with an average of 1 day every 2 weeks for the winter up to now...), and I think I get the "small performance envelope" thing. The ski turns great regardless of any crap you do on top of it. I was skiing nearly as bad as I possibly can, and the ski was turning for me. I did not end up in the water, which is what usually happened when I am doing crap in winter with drysuit. However, the ski does not take off after the buoy or get wide if your position is really crappy.

I am pretty sure that with my previous ski I would have ended in the drink several times. With the Fusion, it looks like at the buoy you can get away with almost anything.

• Baller

Four sets on mine so far- stock numbers, 67" and I'm 6', 175-180. I've been very inconsistent at -35 this year, although I ran a couple just before moving my bindings.

One buoy short of PB. Amazed by the reduction in effort. Can still scramble. Blew the tail once but I was way late and really scrambling...it probably would have pulled me through had I not gone so far out front. Seems to have widened my margin of error on all passes just because it's quick and comfortable and cranks when you need it. The feeling is much different than my Connelly which rode so much deeper, but I was comfortable enough to go to my challenge pass on my second set on the ski. I am much more confident in it casting out which stops me from pulling too long (one of my favorite bad habits...)

Couple positives in relation to my previous ski (Proph):

-I'm not moving back/forth on the ski as much. I assume this is the supportive tail.

-No chatter on my off-side like I was occasionally getting on the Connelly.

-Driver doesn't believe it's me back there based on the lack of steering input required...

-Ski pops out of the water with no effort in deep water starts- why waste energy there!

The jury is still out but initial impressions are positive. First tournament sets on it this weekend.

• Baller

I've been ridding a 65" Z7 ST for the past two years ( I'm 5 10, 155). I tried a 66" and 65" Fusion a week ago and immediately felt smoother and more stable on the Fusion. Comparing the 65" Fusion to the 65" Z7 ST, I would say that the Fusion was a bit more stable, better through the edge change than the Z7 ST, and just as fast. The 66" didn't turn my onside quite as well, but was turning my offside really really well with stock fin settings. I shallowed up the fin on the 66" and decided to go with it. I had 4 tournament rounds on it this weekend and topped my best score for the last 4 years on it (3 @39) and equaled my best scores from the last few years (2.5 @ 39). I had one bad round but that may have been due to some adult beverages being consumed the night before.

Overall I'd say the Fusion is a great ski. I was all over that ski at 38 a couple times and didn't go in the water. I would bet that I would have been in the drink on my 65 Z7 ST.

• Baller

Went out again with the Fusion, water still cold/drysuit and first time skiing in 7 days. I had planned, though, to start pushing it a bit, especially in 1-3-5 (onside, LFF). The ski turns beautifully, and gets into the exact spot you want it to be.

My offside is crap, and off season it tends to be even crappier, so no comments for it other than I do not end up in the water with the Fusion and, if I am late and fast @ 6, I can force it to turn to the gate. With everything I had up to now, trying to do it would mean a nice OTF.

• Baller
I rode the fusion last week. First set, threw some numbers from greeny on (my measurements was off a few thou - i'm always in a hurry). Ran straight up rope 3@41. Very impressive, easy to ride ski. JD was driving so nay sayers hush up. It was prolly the easiest 39 i have ran in a while. Very low effort. I could really like this ski after some fine tuning and setting up my offside turn. Hats of to D3 crew, this is a nice ride.

• Baller
@dawg- curious how far those numbers deviate from factory? Haven't messed with mine yet, and I'm several loops farther back than you, but I'm more consistent at 35 than on my previous skis. Running a little more wing than stock due to cold water, but that's it.

• Baller
@ral, starting line length is -28. Goofed up my first post. I run a fair amount of 35's. Been hurt most of this year but this ski feels good. I'm on a 66 but have skied the 65 once. I'm thinking I'll be sticking with it, however, I will be skiing the 65 again in the next week to be sure. I've had a grand total of 6 rides on the ski with 3 of them being tournament rounds.

• Baller

@jlittle, I guess that you could go 65" or 66". I think, though, that, unless you ski in cold water, the 66" would be a more versatile ski.

We had 2 skiers going 65" on D3, they were in the upper limit as well. They went back to 66".

I currently have a 65" fusion. Curious to know what settings others are using on a 65". My settings are 6.93/2.490/.738 flat 9 servers wing 29" bindings. I'm @ 34mph & getting 32 off a few times. Making 3&4@ 32 every run. I could't get ski to turn @ all with factory settings. I had to add length & take away depth. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm right foot forward. Thanks for the help!