2012 Connelly

D-Law

• Supporting Member

Almost on this topic, I had a facinating discussion with Jamie about how he sets up hard shell boots.

The basic idea is you stand in your normal slalom stance (either in your current non-hard-shell boots or just on the ground), with a string taped to each knee-cap.

Because the position of your feet, including "pivot" (rotation on ski surface), "tilt" (front/back), and "cant" (rotation toward left or right of ski), these strings will hit the ground in certain spots.

Then when you get into your hard-shells, the strings should hit the ground in exactly the same spots.

Cool concept, and perhaps explains why I never got comfortable in hard shells -- because I never did anything like that and indeed didn't adjust my tilt or cant at all!

I'm probably still too lazy to deal with that many setup variables, but at least now I can see how you can have a CHANCE when searching an 8 dimensional space (4 things to set for each foot) for your ideal binding setup!

Looked at it at the global invitational seems like a super heavy set-up for a high end ski. The boots are made by the company that made Apollo Ono's speed skates but they seem like they are just way to heavy. Ski does look good though, and they are using the running surface is similar to the Connelly V's.

Demoed the ski this past weekend. The first thing I noticed was how little effort it took to get width on my pullout for the gate. Taking it easy pulled through the gate and was so early and wide at ball one I almost did not know what to do. The ski feels like its on rails when pulling through the wake but does not require alot of effort. Skied the easiest sets of my life. Bought the ski on Monday.

• Baller_
I gotta think that maybe the concepts and the way they get that step bottom into the mold is most likely are very similar. Remember HO does this to 3 different skis and Con does it to 2 now but they are not the same shaped skis (Con vs HO I mean). There must be an advantage. The HO CoX I've been riding gets wide, very wide.

• Baller_
CoX in ruff water was great. No tip chatter. Felt stable. Never felt like I was going to lose the tip or tail in poor conditions at the ball. Cannot speak for the other step bottom skis but I think there is a lot that goes into a ski design that makes it ruff water capable other than a step bottom. But I can definitively say for me the CoX performed very well in adverse conditions with little to no problems. Better than most skis I've tested this summer. Thread is a bit hijacked here so I'd like to bring it back by asking is there a better pic of the Connelly boots or ski?????? Hate the tease of just the shadowy pic above. I'm gonna say if the Prophacy was know as a slowish but very stable deep riding ski, than the step bottom just took slow out of the equasion. Could be huge.

I'm like a kid at Christmas! A Carbon V! A new Prophecy! Great new bindings! Just when I start thinking about changing brands after 20+ years on Connelly Skis they make me stay again with products like this. Thanks John!

I run the new Prophecy 67 with the stealthy boots at 29.125 and the rear at 17.125. The fin is 6.8220 long, 2.53 deep, .74 from tail and 9er on the winger. If you run the new boots..read Thans post above..Canting your boots side/side is critical for most people. The boots are designed flat..I then super glue a few pennies along one side of the boot bottom to accommodate my canting needs. You may not need any, or might need to use nickels. The finished product will come with canting shims. The new ski is more than awesome. The boots!! also..the best I've ever ridden. Jamie

• Baller_
@jamieb. What would you say the primary performance difference is between the new Prophacy and previous year? And how much do you feel the step bottom had to do with it? Do you have any pics of the ski you could share? We have seen the brochure but some more of the boots would be great. Oh, do you know or does anyone know the MSRP on the ski and the boots???

• Supporting Member

Is there still a Connelly discount program similar to the old "EP discount?"

In any case, where can I order a teen-size neovest? (In the short term for a small co-worker who occasionally skis with us, but eventually to be used by my daughters.)

P.S. As if 2011 weren't already my best season, now Jamie has referred others to read a post by me! :)

P.P.S. Got see Jamie and Rossi duke it out for semi-official fun in VT last weekend. From the boat I got to witness Jamie using ridiculous strength, technique, and perhaps most of all patience to pull out a -39 where he ran crazy late the entire way. AWESOME!