Anyone broken a Goode and gone back

terryg

Hi Ballers,

Loved my Goode 9900, which just broke under the bindign plate.  I'm a little shy about shelling out another 1500 after only 2 years, as well as the stories of people getting hurt.  Anyone else done this and gone back on one?

Also, anyone on the Fusion?  Or any suggestion on what's closest to a Goode?

Thanks,
Terry

• Supporting Member

I'm on my 4th Goode.

9100: omgwtf amazing. Added buoys on the first day and soon thereafter qualified for my first Nationals. After a few seasons it broke in half on a take-off.

9400: Didn't really work that great for me.

9600: Loved it. Superfast yet pretty stable. Began delaminating during the first season and had to send it back for bottom repair every year. Eventually got soft and sluggish.

9900sl: Love it. Does everything well and took me to my best season ever at the age of 40. KNOCK ON WOOD, two season so far with no problems.

So yeah, I "went back." At times their customer service was mediocre, and the durability of their products is very inconsistent. But it's a ski that fits my style so well and is just Damn Fun to ski on.

• Supporting Member

Btw, from what I hear from my scientist buddies, carbon nano tubes exhibit better durability than traditional carbon fiber -- in the laboratory. It will be interesting to see if this translates to the real world rigors of slalom skiing.

But the reports on the first generation Nano seem a bit all over the place. I'm going to wait for that technology to mature a little before I'm going to seriously consider it.

• Baller
I have talked to several skiers at tournaments, and clinics. I am told Goode skis perform well, but are lacking in durability. On my budget I have to ski on a slalom more than two seasons. I am also told hardshell boots are always in need of some type of repair.

• Baller

Gaj, they do work, period. I've broken a ski before but it wasn't a Goode. You can certainly get more than two seasons out of a Goode, I see several skiers on a 9600, 9700 and even a 9100, all skiing into 38 off.

They do not hold up to other skies cosmetically I suppose, its really easy to mark them up. But they aren't quite breaking like some people may think.

My wife just got a Fire mid and skied into 35 off on the first day she tried it, that is pretty good for her. Again, they work.

Thanks for all the comments. Stroke, glad you got things sorted out.

I have no problem with Goode. Almost anything you buy now, electronics etc has only a 1 yr warranty. I was just hoping the ski would last longer than 2 yrs. That said, after trying several other skis, the Goode fits my style best and I am going to order a 9960.

Any comments on the 9960 over the Nano or the 9900?

• Baller
I skied 4 years on a 9500 and no brake down (Still have it as a backup). I had a 9800 for just over a year, it broke behind the rear binding. Got a 9900 with a $400.00 discount from Goode- had it for just over a year - it broke in front of the binding. Got another 9900 replacement with a $250.00 extended warranty payment to Goode (not a bad deal). Their customer service is not the greatest, but it is improving. The way I look at it, it is the best ski and I don't have the time to tinker with different skis. So I just say that Dave Goode is my crack dealer - I just can't live without it! I just hope this ski lasts because as Than said the jury is still out on the Nano.

• Baller
Best analogy I've heard yet - Goode skis as crack. They might treat you right, they might not, but the addiction is just too strong so I'll keep spending the money regardless even though I know it may not be good for me and sooner or later I'm likely to regret ever having gone there. Please God please, just let it be alright...

I used to ride a 9800 and jumped on my ski partners 9900 mid ride at the end of last season and knew I had to make a change. The ski was just head and shoulders better than the 9800 (which was a dang good ski). I got the Nano Twist Mid ride instead of the 9900 at the beginning of the season and it was a great decision. My average has gone from 102.5 in the 2010 season to 110.17 this season. Plus the Nano now has a 5 year Warranty so no worries about spending 2K again the next season.

I didn't realize the 9960 came with a 5 year warranty as well. But both of those links that @scoke posted if you scroll down to Features it says a 5 year warranty. @Than Thanks... Your skiing very well too it looks like its been the best season so far for both of us.