binding choice

19skier

• Baller
I have been injured in every binding I've used. Ankle sprains/ACL/ribs on rubber/toe plate. Foot/patella/collar bone breaks in tight double rubber and the worst foot/ankle/achillies damage now in hardshells. I have probably given up course skiing but still want to ski hard for exercise and sanity. My skiing ability increased with $ spent on binding choice so I don't feel I can draw a good conclusion on safety. Damage to feet ankles and knees is a major concern now over maximum control. I'm looking for your experienced opinion on safest set up for feet/ankles/ knees? Should both feet be locked together, should feet come out one at a time, loose rubber, hardshells? Thanks for taking time.

• Baller

I am maybe not the right guy to tell since I haven´t been taking any OTF since I changed to Strada. I am quite sure that I will come out in a nasty fall. I run the laces very loose since Strada is working just as well with a lot of elasticity left in the laces. (Once you get used to it). It is my firm believes that both feet should go out in a fall...or both stay in. With one foot in and the other out you are in a bad position to take the torques from a twisting ski.

Tsixam

• Baller
That is exactally right! Both in - or both out. Anything else is gonna hurt! I went from goode hard shells with dual lock to Stradas on a single plate. Love it! Comfortable, easy to adjust, no problems or modifications necessary. I run them both pretty snug.

• Supporting Member

(Donning my Hat of Pontification...)

Best ways to improve safety, in order:

1) Don't ski. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you're not gonna try this option...

2) Ski safer. Bindings can potentially make a situation worse, but it's hard for them to make it better. Most of the people I know with ankle and other "binding related" injuries have had multiple, similar injuries on different binding types. I can only conclude the binding is not the strongest factor.

Skiing safer comes in at least two sub-categories:

a) Technique. For example, to avoid OTFs, keep shoulders more square to the boat. To reduce slack hits, focus on handle control. Etc.

b) Don't be a Hero. If you're screaming into a ball and have to swing the ski to full extension to round the ball -- DON'T. Half and quarters are not worth broken ankles. If you're just generally skiing out of control, then STOP. Figure out what you were doing wrong and try to fix it. I know this goes against every competitive instinct in the world, but always try to remind yourself how much more fun it is to ski than to not be able to ski.

3) Use safer equipment. In my opinion, the two safest setups are the Fogman style pin release and a dual-rubber-boot setup that is not cinched too tight. Each of these has the very desirable properties mentioned by other above. And each releases pretty reliably. But each has its own failure modes, too. There are certain directions and fall types where at least one of those systems will release when it shouldn't or not release when it should.

The binding systems that I personally am much less comfortable are:

a) Dual-lock used for release purposes. Personally, I would never rely on Dual-Lock as a release mechanism. It is too unpredictable exactly what force will be required to release it, and that force varies dramatically depending on the direction that it is applied.

b) Anything that is assymetric -- i.e. two different release mechanisms for front and rear. This includes the "old school" boot+RTP setup.

(Removing my Hat of Pontification...)

GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN out there!

• Baller
If you are going to take a step back in terms of the amount of intensity that you are skiing with, that alone will probably eliminate, or significantly reduce, future injuries. Just getting out of the course will keep you from pushing the envelope and keep you from exposing yourself to potential injury. If that is the case binding selection becomes less critical. If you are still going to be skiing hard and "going for it", then I would recommend you go to rubber front and back.