Judges Towers / Design Ideas?

ski4xtc

• Baller
I am wondering if anyone has a great design or idea for judges towers? Looking to do in metal, would like shade on top, easy to climb in and out and be able to sit two people comfortably. Have seen the metal towers in the Newberry Springs, CA area. Any photos out there of other metal towers? Anyone have any plans they would share? Thanks!

Scaffolding. Build one more section high. Add tent bows and tent material to top for shade and liquid sunshine. Ladder is built-in, plank the entire floor, add another plank in front for a table, folding chairs and you are done. Lots of used stuff floating around with the economy tanked. Much less expensive than fabrication. Easy to set up and take down - minutes.

Scaffolding. Build one more section high. Add tent bows and tent material to top for shade and liquid sunshine. Ladder is built-in, plank the entire floor, add another plank in front for a table, folding chairs and you are done. Lots of used stuff floating around with the economy tanked. Much less expensive than fabrication. Easy to set up and take down - minutes.

• Baller
We're in the process of designing / building a permanent center tower. It will be large enough for 3 people (so we can score from there as well) and steps rather than a ladder (built in or not) to accommodate older folks who may judge/score. Probably in the 8x8 or 10x10 range. Since it is a center tower, we're only concerned w/ height above water level. Location relative to the course is not as critical as the 44 deg requirement for off-set towers. Once the design is complete, I'll post here.

• Baller
We're in the process of designing / building a permanent center tower. It will be large enough for 3 people (so we can score from there as well) and steps rather than a ladder (built in or not) to accommodate older folks who may judge/score. Probably in the 8x8 or 10x10 range. Since it is a center tower, we're only concerned w/ height above water level. Location relative to the course is not as critical as the 44 deg requirement for off-set towers. Once the design is complete, I'll post here.

• Baller

Bakersfield and Imperial have trailer mounted towers which work really well. Placement and height need to be considered carefully. But the trailers can be easily moved, shared and stored (out of the way) to enhance the utility. Unfortunately, I don't know who designed the trailers.

I stuck the judges in the bucket of my backhoe.

Eric

• Baller

My advice is to know the path of the sun at the site - early season, mid season, and late season. Make sure the tower roof extends out towards the east and west sufficiently to shade the officials. I sat in too many towers built so beautifully to shade some patch of grass 20 feet away.

Maybe even consider some sort of hinged "awning-like" side wall that can be propped up at varying degrees so as to block the low sun at the beginning and end of the day and raised out of the way during mid day.

(something like this but attached to the roof eaves: http://www.awolcontainers.com/images/modifications_hinged_window_cover.jpg)

• Baller
The towers at Ski West were actually made probably 20 years ago out of metal and cemented into the ground. When we re-dug the lakes they had to be removed and one member came up with an idea to put them on wheels. This has worked out great and other lakes in our area have borrowed our towers for tourny's.