Anyone Using Fogman Release Mechanisms?

Jim Neely

• Baller
I have used Fogman for 10 years. The release that concerns me most is the stuffing the tip in a high speed turn when running late. The flexing of the nose tends to bind the release some. I have strained my achilles a few times but nothing to stop me from skiing any. I've never had a fall where I felt like it should release and didn't. I have seriously tested the release capabilities of this system....unfortunately.

I am not on them anymore, but I have seen a few people replace the aluminum plate with a thick G10 plate with a small piece of dual lock in the middle. This flexes just enough in an out the front fall to allow them to release.

I had no issues with the Fogman's. I switched to my own dual lock creation because if felt more solid. Fogman's tend to rock back and forth a little.

• Baller

from a previous post on this subject...

I have been on Fogmans for about 8 years...first the blue ultra-wheels, now the red diablos...100% satisfaction to date! No pre-releases and zero "no-releases" when needed. (I think i posted once before that in all my realeases i did not even realize the ski was gone until lookin down at my feet). Yes, I keep hardware lubricated and check release spring tension (position) from time to time.

I suspect (but have no experience) that all hardshells are comparable in confort and may be skiability...for me, the fogmans release system is the key factor, only because I "understand it" mechanically, whereas i don't velcro (nothing negative about velcro, just not for me)

Lastly, i have had fogman release units screwed directly into the ski (eight new holes on the ski - "mean" thing to do to a new ski...), as well as with an adapter plate, which screws into the standard inserts. I cannot tell the difference from a skiability perspective (but then, i am not good enough to detect subtle changes)

...since that post, i did have a significant fall (but no injury) due to a "pre-release". Upon inspection of the system, it was clear that the release units had moved "away" about 1/8 inch (this could only occur because of my adapter plates; not the fogman system itself). So i can only praise the performance and reliability of the fogman system.

(only get into 35off/34mph on lucky days...experience limited to this level)

• Baller
Got on the Fogman hardshells W/ Fogman realease mech.last season because of a cronic bad (rear) ankle. Got some good input from the BOS crew. No pre realease issues but did tweak my front ankle in July pretty good as explained by 9400. Not a whole lot of skiing this year but fortunately no bad crashes so i can't help with your last question.

I used the Fogman releases for years. I am now mounting my Fogman hardshell boots to a G-10 plate and mounting to the ski with 3M Dual Lock. I don't have a problem with the releases, just tired of drilling 8 extra holes in the ski, voiding the warranty, and decreasing the resale value.

I'm not a big fan of the one piece screwless adapter plate. I ruined the top of one of my skis trying to remove the plate from the ski.

• Baller_

Ten year user of Fogman bindings. I have had them on a O'Brien Mapple, Sixam, and three Connellys. 100% binding satisfaction, and because of the skis I was on, no ski breakage problems, so no warranty issues. If you don't like drilling holes, next year's Connellys will be pre-drilled with inserts. If you don't like drilling holes or using adapter plates, I have skied Fogmans with the release unit attached to the ski with double sided body molding tape only. It is not necessarily recommended, but it worked for me for a few sets while I tried a ski.

Suggestions: If you use an adapter plate, use the two piece plate. Contact RCM on the "other" site for the adapter. If you are using an adapter, you still want to use two sided body molding tape between the release unit and the plate, and occasionally check that the bolts and t nuts are snug. Clemsondave, if the plates are rocking, that is usually corrected by adjusting the four balancing screws on the plate, or by replacing the nylon blocks when they become worn, or both.

Lpskier

• Baller
Been on Fogman's for 5 years and they always release when they should and have never released when they should not. As for rocking, is that sideways or fore and aft? I think lpskier answered the sideways. Front to back should be located by the two screws between the bindings with round heads that fit into a recess in the bottom the plates.

• Baller_
LeonL: Those are the centering screws. Personally, I do not recommend using them. The one and only "problem" I have had with Fogman's - pulling the rear release unit of the ski - happened after installing the centering screws. It happened a second time, so I changed skis and did not install the centering screws. Problem solved. No more rear release unit issues. Usually, the cause of any fore and aft play is either the tension springs being improperly adjusted or the nylon blocks are worn and need replacing.

Lpskier

Tried out Fogmans while they were still a prototype, many years ago, mid-nineties. Used the system ever since, in spite of injuries, mainly in case of OTFs. Never had a pre-release with a properly set Fogmans. Major issues: difficult release when OTF, likely front ankle tweak, sprain or worse. Possible problems with the rear foot achilles if some movement is not allowed. Pretty much everything else is very good and very reliable. IMO, further evolution of Fogmans would give us perfect hardshell bindings of the future. No one wants to invest, understandably. It should be interesting to check out the new Connelly version. I doubt that it will resolve any issues, but let's see. Personally, I use a G-10 thin plate for release units and fix it to (any) ski with interloc. Interloc will eventually release in case of a really violent OTF. Maybe some extra safety...

KM, never liked the adapter plates for Fogmans. Just never felt this would be precise enough. Once I wanted to quickly try out a ski w plates and lost it in the middle of the pull/boat wake. Still hurts when I remember. One piece thin G-10(I think) plate for RUs, fixed with Dual Lock to the ski seems to be what works best. Used to drill RUs directly in the ski (80% Goode skis), never had issues, aside for resale value. Still waiting to try out the Fogman thick G-10 plate as described by clemsondave. Thinking about experimenting with different boots (Reflex, powershells). Would like a stiffer, taller front and a flexible, lower rear boot to save the achilles. Feet, of course, need to stay together no matter what...

Regarding your concern of losing the adapter plate(plates?), I always had only one release, either the Fogman itself or the whole plate with Fogmans on it. I guess theoretically it could happen that the plate & RUs sink if they separate!