Are there any other ways to get a used ski?

Taelan28

Ski it again is great, but I'm relentlessly hunting for an Elite for a "just get it out of my closet" price. I've been combing Korea's search engines an I've yet to find a concentrated site or any site thats selling skis by the owner. I'll keep looking but are there any other avenues to get a used ski? Craigslist doesnt have anything and Ebay's features mid range skis at best. Every other website is asking for a price that get them a sizable profit.

Also, is there a particular time of the year when a surge of used skis hit market?

Brent. I plan on calling a recruiter and co-ordinating someone to bring a ski here. Are there any other forums out there as busy or half as busy as this one? I think I found the best site I could in Korea, the best skis I found were a Monza and a Prophecy with a bag, both with bindings.

What about European websites?

Have you given much thought to bringing in a Radar Senate C? Generally, it's going to be cheaper than an Elite. It is constantly well reviewed and has a performance ceiling well higher than its "intermediate" category would suggest. It also has a large sweet-spot (read, compliant to mistakes)

Take a straw poll, if you have friends that would be interested in a Senate C, it's almost a no lose situation.

• Baller

If you learned to ski a year ago, a Radar Senate will last you 10+ years. You don't need the carbon version in my opinion. You can't go wrong with a D3 either, as suggested in another post. The Elite will most likely be too much ski.

@RAL, you prob realize the FLF (furry little F... aka Horton) posted the male stripper. I thought the whole married to a woman deal was not for him.

• Administrators
Wow I did not see that coming. @Dirt I am not sure that video is up to the standards of BallOfSpray. You may want to keep your personal life personal.

• Baller
@Dirt, you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy.

HO 410 I haven't had the opportunity to try other skis. Asking another person to borrow their ski is kinda up there with "Hey can I borrow your car?" actually no its not, but I'd have to make friends with people first. Second, I havent cared to buy a ski until the season ended, I just grabbed the best looking ski on the rack, or the one they recommended and went wild. Third, if I did have a large amount of skis to test it would have cost me hundreds to ride them since its $25 a set. Last, because I am such a novice I probably wouldnt notice too much of a difference.

Most skis I have used have been a little old. The newer ones definitely felt better. There was a D3 I have yet to see for sale online i skied on twice. I dont remember the numbering or the name (I'd wager X5), the second time I skid on it was exceptionally fast, partly because of the driver. I've also seen guys rip it up on said D3 ski.

The ironic thing about all this is that when I had my "fuck it I'll ski on it" attitude I looked at other dudes with high end skis and hard case boots, who sucked, and internally mocked them for wasting so much money on high end equipment they cant even use well. I specifically remember seeing a guy with an Elite, hard shell bindings all for a total of $2600 (its imported and taxed more here in Korea) and scoffing.

The only time someone let me borrow their ski was the Elite Alpha. The owner thought I was so good (Im not) that he wanted to see me use it. What stuck out in my mind was how light, easy to turn, and fast the ski was. All other high end skis, to my novice eyes, looked the same, and that may because they're all made with the construction technique (correct me if Im wrong). But that Elite struck me as special, something awesome and going back to the KD 7000 felt pitiful.

Although you guys are right and its "too much ski" for me I really don't have much of a choice as I cannot justify spending hundreds on a ski I have not ridden. I do have concerns over its stability and sweet spots as everyone has pointed out, and I'm sure the first day I ride it I'll say to myself "This isnt like it was last time." The other thing is that "too much ski" line reminds me of when I was looking to buy a motorcycle. I bought into that train of thought because motorcycles are effin dangerous and you should buy a small one. This is a water ski, its different.

Think of it in terms of Pascal's wager.

Buy an Alpha

Find out its not for me AFTER I try another high end ski (tried about 4 last year)

Its not for me and never find a better ski

Its awesome

Buy another ski thats intermediate

Its for me but will always be thinking about the Elite until I try one again.

Its not for me and will always be thinking about the Elite until I try one again.

Its not for me and I try out an Elite and regret selecting a ski I never tried before.

Its for me after riding an Elite.

Over all getting an elite has the best risk management, but I don't disagree with anyone that its probably too high end of a ski for my abilities and should focus on technique on an easier ski, but why would I want to be constantly practicing on MULTIPLE old club skis instead of consistently on a good one?

@Taelan28 what speed are skiing at and r u only free skiing? If your only free skiing I think you would be better off with out a high end stick. A cheaper ski is going to be more forgiving in open water when its a little rough. And it will probably speed your learning curve to start on a intermediate ski.