New Powershells- I need help!

londonskier

I've Been on powershells for about 12 sets. I can't seem to get my hips up, particularly on my offside cut. (LFF). I've used a reflex front and radar vector rear boot for ages which I like but following a foot injury I wanted some support for my rear foot. My gate shot is scary, feels like I'm coming out the front? Anyone got ideas how to adjust the boots or do I go back to Refelx and vector.

• Baller

I use double hardshells. The rear boot was too stiff for my skills. So I removed the top clip and replaced it with a rubber band (a racing bicycle innertube with clips). This allowed my rear leg to flex enough to keep me balanced while giving the nice feel and comfort of a hardshell.

Time also will make you more comfortable with any boot system. And some warm water - who skis well at this time of year?

Eric

Hardshell boots don't have to be tight to get the control and support you're looking for. Suggest you just back off a couple clicks on the rear boot to gain a bit of movement. Not sure if the model you're on have the rear springs which allow for a bit of heel lift. Make sure you have them adjusted properly.

• Administrators

@Chuck Dickey

I am not sure if that is a good idea. If there is freedom in the shell, in a slow fall the foot will be stressed before the plate. You want you whole foot in firm contact with the shell/liner to transfer the load to the plate for release.

• Baller

I used to run my rear boot with the clips loose. A low energy fall pulled my rear foot half out of the boot and gave me a mild sprain. The rubber band has been safer for me since then.

Chuck is right on about the springs being adjusted properly - to your taste.

Eric

I seem to have the same problem, I'm too far back on my off side coming around the ball. Currently I'm on double RS'1s. both relatively loose.

I was thinking if I switched over to a Reflex / Revo front so I could tighten up my front binder might help me and going with a loose RS1 rear. The new Obrien Elites also look like I could keep a tight front binder with a loose rear binder setup.

???

• Baller

It took me a while to get use to hardshells. I eventually found that I was skiing very stiff legged and too much weight on the back foot. I also remember hacking off the front of the rear boot so it could get closer to the front boot. Also, make sure the top half of your binding is not bound up when you push your knees forward. I have seen some where the shell digs into the bottom portion and there is little flex. Try this on the platform before you jump in.