2009 SN Propeller Replacement

A_B

• Baller

Do any of the props fix the trick wake? Since the boat is obsolete now, one is not stuck with the specified prop. If a prop fixes the wake, that would be very cool. I offered someone at Nautique (Jody?) to test props on the SDSU boat but they weren't interested. If anyone has repropped and improved the trick table, please let me know. I might become a 196 fan!

Eric

• Baller

Yes it does, he has sent an email to somebody on SIA.

My friend ate his prop on his trailer prop guard (ironic) when pulling it out after the Annual Thanksgiving Chicken Run. His prop guard rails are very close to his prop, and he learned a very costly lesson!

• Baller_

422 is the stock prop on the 5.7 196 with a 668 on a 6 liter. Their are IMHO better options in the OJ products. And yes Eric the OJ helps minimize the turbulence in the table.....But I doubt that you would approve you just do not believe in the 196 product.

13X15.5 OJ is a great replacement for your boat.

The 200 has now proved to be by far a better trick platform then that of the 196. National and world trick records in it's first 24 months of production have gone down including pulling the first female over 10,000 points.

• Baller

I also would like to know what prop is the best for a TSC 1, thinking of changing the prop to a newer one (has the original OJ 4rce now) along with an upgrade to the Z-box in order to mimic the feel of newer Zero off boats.

Or am I just way out there with my thinking?

Jody?

Anyone in the know?

• Baller
Hitting the trailer with your propeller is due to having the trailer too deep on the ramp. This allows your boat to swing side to side too far and whack, there goes your prop. Boat guides on the trailer are angled outwards which allow the boat to swing too wide, shallowing the trailer a bit prevents this action

• Baller
That is probably what happened. I was on the other side of the lake. Did a real number on the prop. Can't expect much from two guys who trailer a couple times a year on a makeshift ramp? Especially when it is cold and they are rushing.. Had to make a heck of a racket.

• Baller

6Balls and DanE - I have had very good success on my '97 Nautique (TS1 hull) with the Acme 668 (same as the 422 with a little more cup to bring down the RPM by a few hundred). I think it largely depends on your motor and where in the RPM range it develops the right power curve to give you a smooth pull.

I recently installed Z-Box and used the same baselines with the 668 prop with great results. I am loving my boat right now - long live the vintage pull!

• Baller
I once had the high RPM issue on a 91 Nautique after installing a ACME 422. Explained the problem to ACME and they switched it out for the 668. It was the smoothest prop I ever ran and it put the RPM right where it needed to be. I am considering switching out my 422 on my 97 GT-40 Nautique. I would like to hear what others think of the 668.

• Baller

DanE - I can't say I noticed any real difference, but I don't track fuel consumption closely. Totally non-scientific anecdote: when we were using my boat for a clinic, it used much, much less gas than the more modern Nautiques we were running (seemed like 33% less for a day's use).

I guess that, theoretically, the lower rpms should help with fuel economy and your cost of fuel might make the payback time pretty quick for your use.

• Baller

@greghayes

Thank you Greg, do you have at hand where your baselines ended up?

I would really appreciate such info as baselines between our boats should get very close with CNC props (allthough water properties and such will differ but still..).

Since I´m going to order a prop from overseas it would be nice to have some kind of anticipated baseline rpm´s.

I did contact ACME to get recommendations and to make life easy they made me choose between the 422 and the 668, that´s why I highly value input from someone with first hand experience with that hull/prop combo.

I don´t know a prop shop locally I would trust for recupping either.

• Baller

DanE - Since I just set up the Z-box, I happen to have all my baselines handy on my phone. Note that these are the "true" baselines, just as Stargazer dials in. As seen elsewhere in this forum, many have had good success lowering their baselines to tune in Stargazer performance. I have not yet taken this step.

Here you go...for my 280hp, EFI 1997 SN, running an Acme 668

mph - rpm

36 - 3445

34 - 3225

32 - 3050

30 - 2815

28 - 2680

26 - 2485

24 - 2320