Insurance

Horton

• Administrators

Since I run this site get some strange phone calls and e-mails about things vaguely water ski related.

Today's call was about insurance. Not just insurance on the skiing but the boats & the property in general. Can you guys shed some light on the subject? This is way out of my arena

Global has the best and only policy that fully covers tournament use. It is relatively inexpensive and they are easy to work with. I have an umbrella policy through my homeowners that kicks in above my boat and auto limits that will protect me if the numbers get big.

Ski lake insurance can be written by many different carriers. You typically need to have specific language for tournament or competition use. My lake is run as a site condo, so we get very good insurance rates.

• Baller

We have general coverage for the land and water and use the AWSA insurance for the club when we hold tournaments.

The practice coverage use to be good, but the documentation requirements seems a little crazy now.

• Baller

The last time I checked, Boat US was cheaper. I pay $247/yr.(which includes a $24 "club" fee) for a 300k policy. (2007 MC TT). If yours is cheaper, I'd love to know.

One thing I just found out, was that a skier was recently turned down for boat insurance based on him getting 2 speeding tickets (in his car). I didn't realize they check (and base) your boating insurance on your DMV records.

• Baller_

Forget cheapo. Has anyone had any claim issues with the above mentioned outfits? If they are cheap and have good service fine but cheap in that industry is not always good. I used Ski Safe for years but never had to test it.

As far as the club insurance through USA, has anyone tested it and had success?

• Baller
@MS, how can you criticize it if you haven't done any research? I have, and it is very good insurance. They are not a small company. Ski Safe claims to have 300k policy holders, Boat US currently has 500k, and has been in business since 1966. (I used to use Ski Safe). Global Marine doesn't advertise how long they've been in business, nor how many policy holders they have.

• Baller_
I read something on the PN forum a few years back about Gbl Marine not covering a boat stored at a storage facility that was in a fire and they pulled some very small language from page 300 and the guy was out of luck. Not saying that GM is bad, but make sure you are asking questions after the price quotes.

• Baller
I thought Global (which also lists the name ACE Recreational Marine Insurance on my policy paperwork) WAS Ski Safe. Missed something somewhere I guess... Anyway, I had a claim 2 years ago, hit a submerged log at about 30 mph, late in the season fortunately. $4700 claim, they handled it in what I thought was a timely manner and didn't jack up my insurance the following season or since. I'm happy with them and also the repairs, can't tell anything ever happened except for the new looking prop and prop shaft. This year paying $267 for $27K policy with $300K liability etc which also carries the standard USAWS endorsement.

• Baller

Here is a quote from Global just today, they have really good to work with for me.

Limit Deductible Description

$45,000 $900 Hull Coverage

$500 $0 Towing

$1,000 $100 Personal Effects

$500,000 $0 Watercraft Liability

$854,400 $0 Pollution/Spill Liability

$5,000 $0 Medical Payments

$500,000 $0 Uninsured Boater

Annual Premium is: $262.00