New ski question

skims

I am in the early stages of course skiing but have skied for most of my life. I would say my time is spent about 60/40 open water to the course. Should I go with a new Senate C or a 2010 Strada? Open water I ski 34 mph but I am working on 30 mph in the course. Thanks

I'm a new course skier as well (at the end of last summer I was making 30 mph passes regularly and working on 32 mph). I ski on a large lake (not a "ski lake"). I'm 195 lbs. I've a 67" Theory, 67" Senate C, and 68" Strada. I skied far better on the Strada. I wish I would have started with it.

• Baller

My advice would be based on the potential growth curve. The answer is a little tougher if you think you may be skiing 32 and 34 very soon. At 30, in general the wider ski will give you the ability to maintain a smoothe carving turn whereas a narrower ski at slower speeds might have a tendency to bite therefore bleeding off some of the energy and momentum you carry into the turn. On the other hand, as you speed up, the wider ski might end up being too much surface area for you to manage through the turns.

If the goal is truly to run the course at 30mph, then I would say Senate shape is best. The one idea I might suggest is to get a Senate (not the C) and learn the course on it. If you speed up rather quickly after settling into course skiing, then you will not have spent so much on the initial investment. Then you could still upgrade to the Strada or maybe even find a demo or cosmetic blem and get a deal.

Does this help or further advance the ambiguity of the situation?

Seth Stisher

SethStisher.com for training.

H2OProShop.com for your gear needs.