FM E series vs Obrien Elite

jmh

• Baller
looking at switching my kids from powershells (I worry about release) to either FM E series or Obrien Elites. Will stay with Goode ski. Anyone with experience with this setup? I can't find any real info on the Elites.

• Baller
Not sure about he Elites but I am very happy with my FM-E Series setup. I only run a front with a RTP. I have been on them for 5 season without any issues....knock on wood....I do believe that the release mechanism is very safe and works as designed.

• Baller

I've had front and rear FM E-Series for almost three seasons and have not had any issues. They've always released when they should. I wanted a binding that had the stiffness and comfort of a hardshell yet some of the flexibility of rubber. Stradas and similar hybrid bindings are not an option for me since those bindings have a lower height and I like something higher on my ankle/leg.

My only comment might be that like any binding you should always check all the fasteners etc. before each set.

I was looking at FM's site and it appears that the binding plate doesn't use mounting holes but has slots for the screws. How do you keep the binder from sliding back and forth without cranking down on the mounting screws?

One thing that I liked about the new elites coming out is the shell is supposed to be size specific, whereas the FM's come in small, medium, large. That means that it is going to be highly probable that the shell is going to be a size or two than you need and you are going to wind up with some "slop" in the toe.

• Baller

The slots have their pros and cons. The biggest "pro" is that you have infinite micro adjustments in binding placement. I have had them slip in the past; but, now I use a couple of strips of stair treads (the 1 inch wide kind you buy at Lowe's or Home Depot). I also have the ski protector on the bottom of the plate (thin form rubber material) that you can add as an option when ordering the FM E-series.

I would be interested to know how many sizes the Elites will be offered in; 1/2 shoe sizes? I have not had an issue with slop in the lowe shell of the binding; the molded liner seems to keep it snug.

Hi jmh. Why dont you use a little less dual lock and stick with the powershells? They seem like a good system to me and the only harshell where you can lift your rear heel. I understand the worry, I have not had a fall in mine yet to test the release, but it should work. A lot of skiers use them.

• Baller
I have been using the Fluid Motion binding system since they came out around 2001. Last summer i decided to see if "new tecknology" had made the fM's obsolete. I tried just about every binging out there and pretty much wasted the whole summer. The FM bindings offer better comfort, support, control and safety than anything I tried. They have always released when they should and have saved my butt many times. Also Paul is really good to work with and offers good customer service. I know this sounds like a ad for FM but it's not just my 2 cents.

• Baller
That might have been me. I was thinking of getting the elites because they look sweet and I like the buckle idea with the release system, However they are very narrow. I have very narrow feet as well and my feet hurt instantly. I did not try the elites, I tried the prodigys but they use the same foot bed. I talked to Jason at the malibu open and he went up a size, I havent tried that yet

Unfortunately I cant agree on the quality of the FM E-Series. I happen to have a few cuffs sitting here that were made incorrectly and to be honest was never sorted by Paul (my last few emails never got a response). I ended up bastardising the binding to get it releasing consistently on both sides. I often had one side pop open (inside ankle) as the angle on the cut in the shell and the ledge were wrong so I was stuck at the end of the lake trying to get the cuff back together.

I have to admit though, i did like the comfort of the FM boot but it was not reliable so I switched to the Reflex option after a season, relegating the FM to locker dust catcher.